WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject, Dan Henning. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject, Dan Henning.

WVDolphan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
First let remind you not to get the idea that Im a huge Henning fan, but a lot of you guys are way overboard these days with the Henning bashing. For that I have a huge GET REAL.

Point #1 - Playcalling is very subjective.

Its easy to sit back and say we should run here or pass here, but there arent many concrete examples of playcalling that dont fall under asthetic preference in a given situation.

From where I sit, I havent seen a playcall yet this season where Ive said there is absolutely no way that play shouldve been called there and had the idea there was a different play that was a no brainer. The 2nd and 5 play vs. Buffalo, just before the 2 minute warning where we threw a pass, I definately wouldve ran and I would say that is a situation where a run play should absolutely be the call no matter what your philosophy is. However, there is speculation that Henne made that decision and Sparano was visibly upset with him. I really dont know so I will leave that one alone. Outside of that, every play call this year has been fine. Sure there are calls where I wouldve done something else, or many of you wouldve done something else, but again, this is all subjective. So I dont see why all the Henning bashing has been so fierce so far this year.

Also you must consider that it all comes down to EXECUTION. If the players execute what is called correctly, the play is most likely going to be successful. Too much emphasis is placed on playcalling in non-critical parts of the game.

Point #2 - Our offense and the Parcells/Henning philosophy was critical to our victory vs. the Vikings

I dont know if some of you realize this, but the Vikings only had 4 possessions in the first half. They failed to score any points in the first half. Why? Because we had success running the football in the first half.

Our OL went into that building against one of the best front 4's the league has seen in a while and beat the **** out of them up front in the first half. If you guys didnt notice, the Vikings started running the ball all over us in the 2nd half and were able to score a bit. However, our defense stepped up in critical spots and came up with the stops we needed. A big part of the reason they were able to do this even after Peterson pounded the **** out of them in the 2nd half was because of the fact he wasnt able to do so in the first half. Why? Because our OFFENSE and our rushing attack was able to control the game and keep Peterson off the field. If our offense had not accomplished that, who knows if our D wouldve withstanded Peterson's assult when it needed to.

So it was a good thing we didnt start trying to sling it all over the lot. Im certain we wouldve lost that game if we had. Despite us not being able to run it well in the 2nd half, it was a good thing we stayed with that gameplan.

Side note: Isnt it great to see our defense make critical stops on money downs? Geez its refreshing. I remember when the dancing queen Jason Taylor and Zach were here, we ALWAYS seemed to give up the key 3rd and medium or 4th down to keep our D on the field and wind up losing games in the clutch. But, again, part of the reason our D was able to do this yesterday was the fact we had success running the ball in the first half and we stuck with the run in the 2nd half, despite not generating much yardage.

Point #3 - What do you guys expect?

You do realize this team is BUILT to RUN THE FOOTBALL dont you? You guys do realize that Dan Henning has traditionally held a "conservative" offensive philosophy?

This is what kills me. A large portion of you guys whining about Henning, are the same people who are so quick to hammer me when I was upset with the FO. You do realize Henning is here because this FO hired him. They are the same guys who havent fired him either. In fact, Henning's philosophies mirror that of Bill Parcells. Thats why Henning is here.

Thats also why we drafted Jake Long. Jake Long is a DOMINATING RUN BLOCKER. He was drafted so we could destroy teams up front. Run blocking is his strength. He isnt a horrible pass blocker by any means, but he is definately a better run blocker. He has also had a couple of rough games vs. speed rushers. This is what you guys preached when you said "build from the trenches". Yet, you whine about we dont throw it enough. WHAT GIVES? You want to place emphasis on LT, draft a QB afterwards, but then throw it 40 times a game? Thats a complete contradiction!!!!

Henne btw, is a prototypical Parcell's QB. He likes a big, strong QB, who is difficult to bring to the ground, and manages a game. A Phil Simms type guy. These guys want to run first, and pass second. Thats the philosophy of the FO on down to the coaching staff. So thats how we built our team. So how are you sticking up for the FO on EVERYTHING and yet bashing Henning for being conservative?

This is the team we put together. We play to our strengths. You guys who want to "open it up" and throw it 40 times a game dont seem to realize that isnt what suits our personel. We arent going to see a lot of games like that. Occasionally Im sure we will gameplan to throw it more. But, most of the time we are going to plan on throwing 15-25 times a game. When that happens, its a good thing. It means we are sticking to what we set out to do. RUN THE FOOTBALL. If we throw it 40 times, chances our that means we have gotten behind in the game by more than 1 possession and have to try and generate some big plays to get back in it. Those of you talking about Henne throwing for 300 yards in 3 of the last 5 games last year, how did that work out for us? Last I checked, we LOST our last 3 games last season. We are going to win games by running the ball, controlling the clock, playing solid defense, and Henne being more of a game manager.

As far as Henne goes, I felt like he played a good game vs. Minnesota. I dont need him to throw for 300 yards to think he played a good game. Thats not even what he is here for anyway as I have pointed out. I dont need stats to judge his performance. I watch the games. If you will notice, his stats in the first 2 games are almost identical. However, I thought his performance in Buffalo was very average if not slightly below. The difference in the two games were simple. He hit on the deep ball vs. Minnesota on the first play that helped set up our rushing attack. In Buffalo, while Marshall couldve caught the ball, he made a very poor pass that cost us a TD. I also thought he managed the game much better in Minnesota. Many people pointed out how he was not milking the playclock at the end of the Buffalo game. In Minnesota, he did just about everything we needed him to do for us to win.

Henne is just another part of the philosophy. We want to run the ball and have our QB not have to throw it all over the lot. Those of you who want that, shouldve been for drafting a different style of QB and probably a different style of OL. Its simply about what we built our team to do. And honestly, Im pretty much on the side of the folks who see today's NFL as a passing league. Thats why I wanted to draft Matt Ryan. But, Im never going to be against power football if thats what our FO wants to do so long as they have success doing it. You can approach things a different way and still have success.

So again, you guys who bash Henning but, constantly praise the FO are being completely contradictary. Henning is doing nothing but carrying out Parcell's plan and using the strength of the players he brought in to build this team with. If you think the Long and Henne picks were the way to go, dont whine about the playcalling being conservative. Those guys fit that philosophy and thats why they were selected. As long as its successful, Im all for it.

As far as my bashing the FO, my reason was simple. We went 7-9. Thats a good enough reason for me to bash away. Losing. I care about results. Especially when I was one of the people who felt the way the league is now, that a more wide open passing attack combined with a defense that has a few playmakers is the way to go. But, again, we just arent going to do that with the personel we have. We have these guys because they fit what the FO and coaching staff wants to do. Some of the draft choices before last season were very questionable was another reason I was upset with the FO. And it takes more than beating the Bills to compensate for that 7-9 performance. Beating a quality opponent on the road like Minnesota certainly helps. If this team is a success this year, then of course I will be pleased.

Point #4 - The wildcat.

I get sick of hearing how the wildcat must go. NO. It shouldnt. The wildcat is a big part of what we do. POWER RUNNING. Again, its just another thing that fits the personel and the philosophy of the FO and coaches. We want to beat the **** out of the other teams defense and run the ball straight down their throats. I like it. Its kinda the American way. I dont want to get all political, but it reminds me of this ol' Carlin bit. "But, we can bomb the **** out of your country alright!" :lol: [video=youtube;UaS2bRGS86c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaS2bRGS86c[/video] We get a lot of practice. SO WERE GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!!! Cant execute a pass play worth a ****, cant run a screen or a deep post, but we can POUND THE **** OUT OF YOUR DEFENSE!!!!! :lol:

Also, the wildcat indeed gives teams something else to spend time working on in the week leading up to our game. No team has the same success as we do running it, because we have the personel built for running it. And we get a lot of practice.....SO WERE GOOD AT IT!!! Carlin is great. :lol:

So yea, the wildcat stays. And those of you who want to bash Henning for running it at all and especially for the Pat White plays last year, keep in mind, its the FO who brought in Pat White and the FO who purposely brought in players who they felt would perform well in the wildcat and the overall philosophy of being a power running team.

So in summation, those of you bashing Henning...GET REAL!!!!!!!! And the next time you want to bash him, bash the FO instead because its all their plan that is in place and the reason Henning is even the OC. But, really you should just stop bashing Henning all together. He has done a fine job with what he has been given and the plan laid out in front of him. He is simply toe'n the ol company line here. And as it stands now, the company line looks like it could be onto something. As I pointed out, it was their philosophy that got us a win against the Vikings and has put a defense out there that looks like it can get the job done. So far so good this season. Hopefully, these guys can keep it up.

And look for the phins to be the first team this season to have success running the football right at the Jests this Sunday. Thats right Rexy, as you would say "were going to run it straight up your ****ing ***" you **** talking ********er. SO BE READY.

Wow. That took a while. I have two more issues Id like for folks to "Get real" about. I dont know if I feel like posting them now. You guys let me know what you think of this and give me some feedback please. Are there people interested in me doing a regular "Get Real" post? Because I could call it WVDolphan's Get Real. I love that phase ever since SlipperySoap used it in that one post. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude is this available in paperback??? lol

i'm meh on henning right now but the damn wildcat that he goes to everytime we have some offensive momentum needs to stop...it kills drives and my freaking patience

I browsed what you wrote. Even longer than what I write. I have wrote some long ones too. I have been pretty positive with Henning. But I have some gripes.
1. I think that our routes are pretty predictable. We run more sideline routes than I think we should. I wrote in a earlier thread that I would like to see more routes and throws in the middle of the field. Sideline routes are so timing based. You have to have the ball out at such a certain time because the risk of the DB jumping the route. Add to that the fact of the importance of accuracy is so high. I would love to see us stretch the seam more often. It would but more pressure on the safties, helping the running game ect. If we do throw the ball in the middle it is usually a dump off. Middle routed allow a QB to react to a route a little more and throw the ball and differnent times. Welker is a perfect example of the crossing routes power. Another gripe is that we use a lot of three step drops. That shows that so many of our routes are timing routes. Would like to see more 5-7 drops.

I browsed what you wrote. Even longer than what I write. I have wrote some long ones too. I have been pretty positive with Henning. But I have some gripes.
1. I think that our routes are pretty predictable. We run more sideline routes than I think we should. I wrote in a earlier thread that I would like to see more routes and throws in the middle of the field. Sideline routes are so timing based. You have to have the ball out at such a certain time because the risk of the DB jumping the route. Add to that the fact of the importance of accuracy is so high. I would love to see us stretch the seam more often. It would but more pressure on the safties, helping the running game ect. If we do throw the ball in the middle it is usually a dump off. Middle routed allow a QB to react to a route a little more and throw the ball and differnent times. Welker is a perfect example of the crossing routes power. Another gripe is that we use a lot of three step drops. That shows that so many of our routes are timing routes. Would like to see more 5-7 drops.

You should read and not browse. It only takes 5-10 minutes.

Nevertheless, based on your post, it seems you would rather have a different QB. Basically, as I pointed out in my thread, you are completely disagreeing with the philosophy of the FO on offense. The routes we run in the passing game, play to the strengths of the QB we drafted to fit the what the FO wants to do.

dude is this available in paperback??? lol

i'm meh on henning right now but the damn wildcat that he goes to everytime we have some offensive momentum needs to stop...it kills drives and my freaking patience

You do realize that it was the Wildcat, on our first offensive possession of the game, that got us into the redzone and setup our lone offensive TD, right?

P.S. WV - as much as I hate to say so, your post is right on the money. Well done.

P.P.S. Just wait until the offense catches up with the defense...

The only one I can recall is the end around to Bess against Buffalo.

Meh. Again its subjective. I wouldnt have called that play in that particular circumstance either, but if it were executed better, it wouldve had some success. I wouldnt say that was a great call, but again, you cant really say it was a horrible call either. Its just a playcall. It wasnt impossible that the play couldve had success there.

You play to win the game! lol. . Seriously though. When you are up and want to seal the game you have to get first downs by passing the ball and not just running it into the line three times and punting

Who the hell are you, stole WV computer and using his handle.

To sum this up for those of you that choose not to read it......

This is a very very long winded way to say the FO sucks and everything that goes wrong and the answer to all your complaints are the FO's fault.

nice post, I mostly agree. I like the wildcat (the real one) but also agree with other posts that the timing is screwing up our rythm. I say bust it out at certain points and when it is rolling, go no huddle to prevent the d from substituting. That said I hate to see a failed play, wilcat, diff play, etc. I'm not a OC but I did stay at a holiday inn express once and I ate them out of house and home ;-)

I agree, we are run first and will always be and we will pretty much always start the game by pounding the rock. I don't mind that is not the problem. The issue I got with Henning is once the defense understands were pounding and they start stacking the box Henning doesn't make a damn change and by doing so this Fins will never be able to run away with a win in blowout fashion. Talk about questionnable Call? Lets hear it. I wanna see my team playing with 45 seconds left in the half no matter the cost of a pick. I don't want to run the ball on 2nd &20 and 3rd and 17. How the great QBS devellop they throw pass attempts and they get picked, they go 22 for 40 280yds 2td and 2 ints that is the life of a sophomore. I'd rather have him throw picks than stack him against the wall and GO WITH THAT DONT THROW IT MENTALITY this is not how he can learn this is how he gets scared of throwing for the rest of his career. Then what we start trailling in 4th by 10 and NOW WE PUT HENNE UNDER THE BUS where he is supposed to get us back after STAYING COLD IN THE WILDCAT AND THROWING 15 all game. PLEASE for sure he'll make a mistake. I understand the gameplan concept of henning and yes I have to give it to him he is wise with it. Watch out though it almost got us screwed at the end.

THE NEW HENNING PLAN SHOULD BE POUND IT GET THAT TOUCHDOWN LEAD AND THEN LET HENNE THROW NO MATTER THE COST: A 2TDS LEAD OR A PICK AND A TIED GAME. I can live with it to me it is a win win situation and this is a fairly easy way to groom him, get him involve and make some mistakes AND GET A BLOWOUT WIN AGAINST THE JETS HELL YEAH

You play to win the game! lol. . Seriously though. When you are up and want to seal the game you have to get first downs by passing the ball and not just running it into the line three times and punting

I agree that passing the ball is a great way to get first downs and seal the game late.

However, let me know when we get the personel that is suited to do that. What we have is an OL that is built to run block, a QB who is big and strong so he dosent fumble when he gets sacked, has a strong arm, but isnt made to be Peyton Manning or Dan Marino who can disect a defense and make plays all by himself. If you havent noticed, almost all of Henne's throws are designed plays where he isnt given a lot of options. They give him very basic stuff.

Face it, Henne is meant to be a game manager but at the same time have a cannon who can make throws that require some mustard. He often stares his targets down and dosent execute all types of passing plays well. He isnt a decision maker guy back there.

But, thats the type of guy they wanted. Why? Because they wanted to be a power running team that controls the game and dosent turn the ball over. Thats why when we get in those situations, the idea isnt to run it 3 times and punt, the idea is to run it and get first downs.

So your problem sounds like its with the FO, the QB they chose, and the philosophy they have on offense.

Back
Top Bottom