You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team?

Pretend that we have a Franchise QB... proceed to augment the Oline.... blame (insert person not named QB) for continued offensive ineptitude.

Running game is our biggest weakness, which all goes back into how bad the OLine is.

Getting rid of Bush was the worse move Ireland has done since he became a GM, having a good rb for this team would pay huge dividends. Not having a running game and putting the whole offense on Ryan Tannehill's shoulders is the biggest fail I've seen in awhile.

this is EASY, Reisgn Grimes, Sign either starks or Solai whoever will take less money re-instate Incognito

Draft-Cameron Erving
Gabe Jackson
DaQuan Jones

or for the skill positioned inclined

Eric Ebron
Lache Seastrunk
James Hurst

Resign:
1. Grimes
2. P. soliai
3. Clemmons
4.. N. Carroll
5. J. Jerry (lower type offer)

Offer lowball contract to Starks ask to match if he gets something better, otherwise cya.

Draft:

2 T's, 1 G
Stud TE (if no FA)
WR or CB who is highly skilled at returning punts
RB (220 lbs)
DT

Throw boatload $ to Jimmy Graham should he get to FA (not likely)
Then throw some good money to Jermain Gresham....doesnt work....draft a stud TE with heigth and speed.

I like Gresham, but i don't believe that Gresham's output can beat Clay's output

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Running game is our biggest weakness, which all goes back into how bad the OLine is.

Getting rid of Bush was the worse move Ireland has done since he became a GM, having a good rb for this team would pay huge dividends. Not having a running game and putting the whole offense on Ryan Tannehill's shoulders is the biggest fail I've seen in awhile.

Enter Seastrunk in the (ugh) second round

this is EASY, Reisgn Grimes, Sign either starks or Solai whoever will take less money re-instate Incognito

Draft-Cameron Erving
Gabe Jackson
DaQuan Jones

or for the skill positioned inclined

Eric Ebron
Lache Seastrunk
James Hurst

Is Seastrunk even coming out? I think he's a soph, and dinged up right now.

The only real QB Urban has had was Alex Smith.
[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Tim Tebow was the greatest college QB of all time. Even Pope Urban would acknowledge the greatness of Tebow.

The Bottom Line: We have to get much better on offense.

I think we have only scored 27 points or more, once this season (versus Atlanta). We have to find playmakers at WR, RB, TE and figure out that the NFL is a passing league, and we have to get much better at it. We are not going to be like the Patriots, Broncos, Saints, etc., until we get much better players. You can win in the NFL with a somewhat average defense if you have an offense that puts up points,,,,look at Detroit yesterday and how they killed the Packers. I know Rodgers didn't play, but it wouldn't have mattered if he did.

I think certain pieces are in place.

The QB

May as well get this one out of the way first since he's the focus of everything on here.

I like Tannehill. I think he's been given a rough deal so far. It's either a lack of options first year, then a crap OL, drops and decidedly odd play calling the second year. Saying that, he's left a lot of points on the field. He isn't moving this offense in the second half anywhere near well enough either. He's cost us a couple of games IMO. He's still in his second year though so I'm happy to see him be given at least 3 years for the lightbulb moment. How about we try and make this organisation more conventional; a half decent line, appropriate play calling, let him use his feet, let him feel comfortable and see where we are. If we're not seeing improvement end of year 3, then I'm drafting QB again.

Offense

We need to fix the line. No question. I'd go OG and OT in the 2nd and 3rd of the draft and either pick up some nice, value options in FA or go later in the draft as well. How this organisation can't pick up decent OG's from the middle rounds is bemusing to me. I strongly believe we need to go WR in the 1st though. This team needs a stud WR. A big guy that can go and get the ball. Wallace is a nice deep threat but isn't a short/intermediate runner IMO whilst for me, Hartline should play the slot. He just isn't scaring the crap out of a secondary with his ability to stretch the field. Clay I'm not sure lasts in a conventional offense. I'd much prefer a seam TE but could certainly see the merits of Clay as a 4th/5th option. I'd love to see a stud No 1 WR with Wallace and Hartline, a seam TE and Miller/Clay for checking down.

I have confidence in Miller with a better OL. His quickness has flashed a couple of times. Concerned about his vision. He's blown a couple of TD's this season by going the wrong way. I'd like a power running back to compliment him.

Sherman. Man......what do we do with this guy ? I just have no confidence in his play calling. He leaves me scratching my head at least once every week. Stretch plays with Thomas ? Lack of screenplays. Lack of playaction. I'd love to lose Sherman personally.

Defense

Well we are going to lose Starks or Soliai. I'm not sure who and honestly I don't care. Both are great players. Sad to lose either but one is gone. We've got to bring Grimes back. He's an absolute revelation in the secondary. The rest is dependent on whether we go 3-4 or 4-3 or continue this hybrid balls that has our D all over the place. I'd go 4-3, move Odrick inside alongside Starks/Soliai with Wakes and Jordan at DE. I'd like to see us draft a LB project. Hey I'm even thinking that maybe Jordan becomes a stud LB at this stage. His skill set still needs to be evaluated and decided as to whether he's a hands on the floor guy or in the back field. I'm not sold on Ellerbe or Wheeler. I think a case could be made to draft a LB high personally but other needs are bigger right now. If Patterson is anything like able to get healthy, I'd explore bringing him back also. Two ball hawks at CB could be absolutely huge with our DL. Jones at S I'm happy with although would like to see his form take an uplift.

1)Fire Sherman, Turner and Coyle. 2) Hire either Mangini, Haslett, Philips(if all of Houston's staff is let go) or Rex Ryan (if he is let go) as Defensive Coordinator. 3)re-sign Paul Soliai 4)re-sign Grimes 5)sign OT Austin Howard (Jets), sign OG Willie Colon (Jets) 6)Draft Taylor Lewan OT; Michigan and RB Carlos Hyde (Ohio St.)

I don't want this regime either, but Ross is going to keep Philbin unless something crazy happens...

Something crazy like a team that can't score more than 28 points, a team that has just 2 or 3 offensive 4th quarter TDs all season (with none in the last 7 games), a team that struggles to score in the second half, a team that can stop a run on 3rd and short but can't stop a 22 yard run on 3rd and 21, or maybe a team that absolutely dominated playoff caliber teams in the first half only to roll over and play dead in the second half? If Ross keep this regime, then he's crazy!

1)Fire Sherman, Turner and Coyle. 2) Hire either Mangini, Haslett, Philips(if all of Houston's staff is let go) or Rex Ryan (if he is let go) as Defensive Coordinator. 3)re-sign Paul Soliai 4)re-sign Grimes 5)sign OT Austin Howard (Jets), sign OG Willie Colon (Jets) 6)Draft Taylor Lewan OT; Michigan and RB Carlos Hyde (Ohio St.)
So part of the solution is to replicate the Jets' coaching excellence and offensive brilliance? You want Rex Ryan, Austin Howard and Willie Colon? Would you also like Mark Sanchez at QB (if he is let go) and Tim Tebow as his backup? Maybe we can get Tony Sparano to fix the Offensive Line (if he is let go at Oakland) and he could take over the play calling.

What is all this re-sign John Jerry talk? Have you people watched him this year? He has been pathetic at best. He would be one of my first cuts.

I would let the new GM come in and set up the team the way he wants. Everyone from Ireland down gets the boot coaching wise.
I'd keep Ryan, and arm him with a real qb coach.
I'd keep Pouncey, Soliai, Wake, Jordan, Grimes, Tyalor, Davis, Patterson-ugh.., Matthews, Hartline, Wallace, Sims, Clay, Gibson, Fields, Sturgis. Everyone else is expendable.
Ireland cannot stay. Philbin (C.C. v2.0) cannot win these winable games. If we have the talent to win the first halves, sometimes by a lot, then we have the talent to win the second halves. That's all on coaching.

Back
Top Bottom