You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team?

Running back isn't a problem that can be fixed with free agency. You fix your o-line and have a few guys on the roster capable of hitting a hole and/or breaking a tackle. Every year, there are undrafted, late rounder guys that do just fine. Running back just isn't the position it used to be.

Personally, I'd resign Grimes and Soliai. Patterson will get money from somewhere and hope to hit a home run like we did on Grimes. Starks is great, but he is looking for his first pay day.

Sign veteran G and OT (no time for rookies) and Clabo/McKinnie won't be around long. I would love to keep Incognito but politics will ensure he doesn't stay.

Draft depth OL, LB, S.

Keep Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle. Try to fix what's broke (the offensive line) and see how it plays out. If it's a disaster, jettison everyone.

Sign Dustin Keller cheap.

Sadly, Jonathan Martin has 0 trade value because everyone knows we cannot keep him.

This team is an offensive line away from a division title. If there were actual holes to run into, even I-fall-down-when-touched Lamar Miller would get positive yardage. Every guy you keep will be a year older/slower. Let this team play out and overhaul everything the year after if it goes bad. If it goes well, you get rid of the guys that got you there while their value is high (they will want more money, yet be 1 year older) and start to plug young guys in their stead a la the Ozzie Newsome strategy. The previous team's young guys are now the vets and have confidence from winning and instill this culture into the newcomers.

Moral of the story: Winning fixes everything.

Simple build through draft and resign our own players who play well.

Look at the players we let go this year against the players we signed. Then also look at the money given to them.

Resign your own before you let money loose on the unknown

Resign:
1. Grimes
2. P. soliai
3. Clemmons
4.. N. Carroll
5. J. Jerry (lower type offer)

Offer lowball contract to Starks ask to match if he gets something better, otherwise cya.

Draft:

2 T's, 1 G
Stud TE (if no FA)
WR or CB who is highly skilled at returning punts
RB (220 lbs)
DT

Throw boatload $ to Jimmy Graham should he get to FA (not likely)
Then throw some good money to Jermain Gresham....doesnt work....draft a stud TE with heigth and speed.

I am not arguing "what is going to happen"...I am saying "what I would do." And I would keep both of them...

Ahhh, comprende. In a perfect world I'd sign them both to two year deals but we know that's not the case.

resign brent grimes, paul soliai. sign michael oher and sam sheilds in free agency, draft cyril richardson 1st, david yankey 2nd, and dominique easely 3rd

Trade for Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush and Vontae Davis. LOL.

We have more holes going into next year than this year and we spent a ton in FA. Ouch. Tough work ahead. Here goes nothing:

- use 2 of top 3 picks on the best playmakers on the board at RB, TE and/or WR; start stacking playmakers.
- use the other top 3 pick on the OL since we can say goodbye to everyone but Pouncey.
- resign Grimes, Soliai = musts
- resign Carroll, Clemmons and Starks if possible
- use back part of draft on O-line since returning players that will start are just Pouncey and Garner.
- forget Keller - was never that good anyway
- make signing a top Olineman top priority as well as a veteran RB to compliment whoever is drafted and Miller
- find someone who can return kicks (perhaps one of the playmakers taken w top picks)
- make sure we give extra "coaching up" to Matthews, Egnew, Jordan, Davis, Taylor - these guys need to play more next year

I believe the strategy is going to be cornfeds but I don't think we have enough play makers on this team for it to matter. Look at what the Rams are doing since they got Austin untracked. We need another "guy" at a skill position. After that we can go all O-line if necessary.

You realize Grimes plays CB & will be 31 next year right? You can give him a 4 year deal until 2017 but there better be very little signing bonus involved.

The guy is the best CB in our roster, period.

There are inventive ways to create an exit if he doesn't execute under certain conditions, but you must keep talent like his and he'll be fine within the next 3 years believe me.

The most important thing is to get some beasts on the offense. We have none. We missed out on Dez, Demaryius, Gronk, Graham, for 2nd grade needs. This organization has to take this issue seriously, it's critical.

Lots of great ideas but the best punters play Australian rules football, not rugby or rugby league. Even most knowledgeable rugby and rugby league players would be honest enough to admit that the AFL punters are far superior. But this is not really applicable to Miami because we already have the best punter in the game in Fields. And he continues to get better.
During last month with Mexico's soccer team playing All Whites for a World Cup place, a great number of sports clips on New Zealand allowed me to see that rugby leagues have amazing kickers. I mean there was a guy kicking the distance of a whole stadium and another guy was hitting objects from large distances.
If there are better players in New Zealand or Australia with an agent it that area of the world looking for upgrade options, it should be no problem.

FA
LT
LG
RB(a mid level work horse guy)

Draft
Best tackle on the board
Best guard on the board
Best LB on the board

Re-sign Grimes and big Paul

Draft Erik Lora also

Assuming the staff returns, here is what I'd do:

1. Resign Soliai, Grimes, Clemons (Soliai IS our run defense, Grimes is a steal, and Clemons has continued to improve to become a solid player)
2. Let Keller walk. (Good player but telegraphs pass and doesn't help the run game, not to mention lacks the most important ability ... availability)
3. Draft an OT in either the 1st or 2nd round and a TE in the other. Use our mid-round picks to get a good G/C or two. (We desperately need a TE who can be a reliable 3rd down threat, size mismatch in the red zone, run block and pass protect. I'd trade our 1st to Cincinnati for Tyler Eifert if they'd take it. Our OL needs young talent)

Very sarcastic comment given the fact that he's rehabbing his leg

Assuming the staff returns, here is what I'd do:

1. Resign Soliai, Grimes, Clemons (Soliai IS our run defense, Grimes is a steal, and Clemons has continued to improve to become a solid player)
2. Let Keller walk. (Good player but telegraphs pass and doesn't help the run game, not to mention lacks the most important ability ... availability)
3. Draft an OT in either the 1st or 2nd round and a TE in the other. Use our mid-round picks to get a good G/C or two. (We desperately need a TE who can be a reliable 3rd down threat, size mismatch in the red zone, run block and pass protect. I'd trade our 1st to Cincinnati for Tyler Eifert if they'd take it. Our OL needs young talent)
I find very unlikely that Cincy would trade Eifert for our 1st round.

Next order of business...Fire our entire scouting department and steal Duke Tobin from the Bengals...let him bring in who he wants

They are one team that is hitting on draft picks in recent years...

How would you approach this offseason as a GM: Trades? Draft. Free Agency. How do you fix this team?

(for the purposes of this, pretend Philbin/Sherman/Coyle return)

Re-sign - Soliai, Grimes, Clemons
Let Starks walk
Say good-bye to Thomas, Moore, Clabo, Incognito, Martin
Sign Brandon Albert and another serviceable Tackle
Draft a guard somewhat high (1st or 2nd) to be the starter
Draft a RB with a 2nd or 3rd
Draft a TE with whatever pick is left between 1st, 2nd, or 3rd

We had enough cap space that I believe the above is doable and we would probably still have a bunch of room left over. Team would look like this:

QB: THill, Devlin, Rookie
RB: Miller, Rookie, Gillislee
WR: Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews
TE: Clay, Rookie, Sims
LT: Albert
LG: Rookie
C: Pouncey (if not in jail)
RG: Jerry
RT: Free Agent

DE: Wake, Jordan, Vernon
DT: Soliai, Odrick, FA's and Rookies

OLB: Wheeler, Misi, FAs and Rookies
MLB: Wheeler, Trusnik

CB: Grimes, Patterson, Carroll, Taylor, Davis

FS: Clemons, Jimmy Wilson
SS: Reshad Jones

Keep in mind this is me signing players not Jeff Ireland. No way I let Jeff Ireland re-build our Offensive Line.

Back
Top Bottom