1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

I heard all over talk radio today people saying that they Jets should take Smith at #2. It's possible he may not even make it to us.

I heard all over talk radio today people saying that they Jets should take Smith at #2. It's possible he may not even make it to us.
Which would be the best thing that could happen for us. If the Jets take Smith at 2 then Fields/Wilson are still on the board and our phone is ringing off the hook from teams trying to get up for 1 of the 2 QBs. If we can't get the compensation we want then we take the closest to a sure thing as their is in this draft in Sewell OR we get the better fit at WR for us which is JaMarr Chase. I know after last night everybody is enamored with Smith and falling over themselves hoping and praying Miami will take him at 3 but the best scenario possible for us is for the Jets to take him at 2. Of course this is my opinion and it doesn't mean I'm right. I think Smith is going to be really good I truly do but I think Chase is a tick better and he's much much thicker. I want every possible option on the table for us at and the Jets taking Smith at 2 provides that for us. In this scenario the only way Miami screws this up is if they go way out to left field and accept a trade that drops us below 9 or we do something crazy like take Patrick Surtain who I think is the best CB in the draft but we have way more needs than another CB.

So, if we criticise Tua for being at Alabama and not having really any challenge to perform under pressure, why would we take their WRs who have the same situation Tua had. I would bet money the WRs will have a hard time adjusting to the speed of the NFL just like Tua did.

I will say I did not read the 17 pages of this thread so if this question was already asked, sorry.

This may have been asked in one the 17 pages, but as good as his skillset seems to be, is no one concerned about his durability with that body? His frame just doesn't seem built for the punishment of press coverage and being smacked across the middle by NFL LBs and safeties. That has always been my biggest concern with Smith.

Your right the jury is still out. They all could stink but they also all could be probowlers. We have to wait and see. They were not great last year and at times they looked bad but we have to at least give them time to show us. We need them to play better next year.
They look far behind

playing time earned not given

This may have been asked in one the 17 pages, but as good as his skillset seems to be, is no one concerned about his durability with that body? His frame just doesn't seem built for the punishment of press coverage and being smacked across the middle by NFL LBs and safeties. That has always been my biggest concern with Smith.
Their are a few of us that have brought this up but I think most people just see him and are overwhelmed by the production. I thinks it's more than a valid concern bc hes not going to be running wide open every play in the NFL. Teams are going to press and put their hands on him and knock him off routes. Can he withstand the strength of NFL CBs? It's more than fair to ponder.

Jets aren’t taking him at 2, can’t be that crazy can they? Oh wait, it’s the Jets

As I've said before: Cannot fathom why many posters would support taking him at #6 or #7, but not at #3.

If he's your guy, pull the trigger and light a cigar. Trading down is great, but only if you are still guaranteed to land Smith. So Atlanta makes sense as a trade partner at #4 so they can block us trading out of #3 to a QB-needy team.

BTW, did you notice Alabama's Left Tackle "lighting it up" last night? No? Neither did I
Left tackles are important, but they just cannot break the game open like a DeVonta Smith can. Ask the Jets and ask Houston

F**k Sewell. Gimme DaVonta Smith
Some people know football, some people know what football is.

I feel fans are over-valuing the QBs compared to where they will actually go.
There are difference-maker talents other than QB that will go in the top 10.
Would you trade into the top 10 for Lance or Zach Wilson? (If you were needing QB?)

How can #3 be too high for a WR? There's plenty of precedent for taking a WR in the top 5, it's not like we're taking a Center or something.

Corey Davis went #5
Amari Cooper went #4
Sammy Watkins #4
Justin Blackmon #5
AJ Green #4
Calvin Johnson #2
Braylon Edward #3
Larry Fitzgerald #3
Charles Rogers #2
Andre Johnson #3

My only concern with Smith is that he got injured on the only real contact he took all night. Yes, it wasn’t major or anything and he probably could have played if they truly needed him. But, he is going to take hits like that running across the field every week at the NFL level. To clarify, I am fine with us taking him at 3 because we need to get Tua weapons.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that he could reach 190, considering he was 160 lbs when he arrived at Alabama. I'm torn because I still remember the season that Jamar Chase had last year. It's a tough call either way, but a good problem to have having the number three overall pick nonetheless.

For sure. Well, I think him entering into the NFL, he will probably have people encouraging him and helping him to 190.

For sure. Well, I think him entering into the NFL, he will probably have people encouraging him and helping him to 190.
That's for sure he was only about 120lbs at about 6' his freshman year in high school, so he's definitely had an uphill battle with putting on weight. But the kid has done nothing but prove the critics wrong when it has come to his size, so I doubt that changes anytime soon with his aspirations. Personally I'm not sold using the 3rd pick on a wide receiver if we can get more picks, I'm fine with taking either Smith or Chase if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom