1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

Show me a position where half the guys haven't busted. Maybe longsnapper?

Looks about the same success rate as the WR list. Robert Gallery was supposed to be a safe pick, plug and play is what they said.

Brandon Scherff #5
Greg Robinson #2
Eric Fisher #1
Luke Joeckel #2
Lane Johnson #4
Matt Khalil #4
Trent Williams #4
Jason Smith #2
Jake Long #1
Joe Thomas #3
Levi Brown #5
D'Brick Ferguson #4
Robert Gallery #2
Mike Williams #4

So you're saying best trade down?

The one thing I’ll say about Devonta..all four years ..with all that wide receiver talent with him....they all scored on their specific routes.
But..when the s*** hit the fan and we needed a third down conversation..it was Devonta..when a play went wrong and we needed a receiver to come back to the ball and help the QB..it was always Devonta..What I’m saying is....not only is the kid talented..but he is big game clutch.

Looks about the same success rate as the WR list. Robert Gallery was supposed to be a safe pick, plug and play is what they said.

Brandon Scherff #5
Greg Robinson #2
Eric Fisher #1
Luke Joeckel #2
Lane Johnson #4
Matt Khalil #4
Trent Williams #4
Jason Smith #2
Jake Long #1
Joe Thomas #3
Levi Brown #5
D'Brick Ferguson #4
Robert Gallery #2
Mike Williams #4

Are you saying later picks have a lower bust rate?
Dude stop saying the same **** I would have said! Please...

I get the cheeky I get it

I get that D Smith is worthy of the third

I support this player at 3 if you want a certain player you don’t trade down

if he is worth 5-7 he is worth 3 for sure

But to scoff about corn over and over and over again - thing is that this team will eventually need to block to pass and rush the ball and we can’t - we don’t do either well it is ludicrous to suggest we can and that is what your posts about the LT have come to Danny because I read most of them

This team doesn’t block so how is that gonna be fixed?
Well, you shall see exactly how that gets fixed.....with the NY JETS!!

I don't 't see them taking fields after his ho hum outing in the champ game. So if they stay at 2 i see them taking sewell. And fin fans will get to see what a pair like sewell and ginormous tackle mechi becton do for a line.

Here is how i see it as of this moment......, i see the jets trading down for someone who covets smith which keeps him away from miami AND gets them more pics. Shrewd move and one i would do if i was a gm looking at a division rival who is going to have a young, talented, lethal defense and putting big star power in that rivals lap to help them build a lethal offense to go with it can't happen. Thats how one WINS on draft day, screw those in your division who are a threat and taking a coveted, talented player away from one of those division rivals is the cherry on top!! But......, this IS the jets so things can go clown show at any moment.

I am not so sure miami is in the drivers seat at #3 like they were up until the championship game. Fields just wasn't super spectacular in that huge game and mack jones just made him look very jag-ish. I don't see any team jumping to 3 and giving away hi picks to land fields any longer. If miami has a chance at any other trade down it will be for someone else and not involving a qb.

God i love draft season!!! 🥳🤩

Consider Miami's hx in this century, or, for that matter, a number of low performance teams. Poor teams turn over HCs with regularity, only to get another poor HC. why do I bring that up? Odds are NYJ don't get the next Flores, and more likely get a HC closer to Gase. That's just the odds. It is that HC who will pick at #2. If, in fact, they get another poor HC, they'll pick the 'wrong' guy, or fail to develop him. All fans should hope the Jet's luck continues.
You mean the GM will pick the wrong guy. HC's RARELY have final say on draft picks. And, if you think the jets are going to end up with a low budget gase clone than he sure as hell isn't going to be choosing the draft picks.

Flo doesnt have final say on draft choices, thats all on grier. Grier takes input from flo on players but grier is the draft honcho.

Great idea in theory, nearly impossible in practice. Do you even read what you write?

“trade down a couple spots and acquire more picks and control the draft for years to come.”

So let’s just call the guy two spots down and three spots down and see if they want to trade up. The fact is only a desperate team is doing that. Usually for a guy they desperately want and fear will be gone in the subsequent picks ahead of them. It takes two to tango.

Through pure blind luck (ie Houston suckage) you have been dealt the third pick in the first round. This same Hou pick was 27 a year ago. Go get a crown jewel player.
Seeing as how I wrote it yeah I obviously read it. Do you know anything about the NFL draft and its history or is trading a foreign concept to you? I also said if WE CAN if the COMPENSATION is right then yes we trade down and keep acquiring picks. The more throws you have at the dart board the more room for error you give yourself but im sure I don't need to explain that to the smartest guy in the room. They're always desperate teams in every single NFL draft since I don't know the the NFL draft was created. And I guess since you're in the FO for all 32 teams you already know their is no team out their desperate for a QB or a Heisman trophy winning WR or the best OT prospect to come out in years. Yep im sure out of 31 other teams not one is desperate enough to want those type of players. Whether they're willing to give us what we want is a different story but again I can see you've already consulted with all 31 teams and know that answer. I think we should get rid of Grier and just hire you to run the show since you are psychic and know what the other 31 teams are all thinking.

Brandon Scherff #5
Greg Robinson #2
Eric Fisher #1
Luke Joeckel #2
Lane Johnson #4
Matt Khalil #4
Trent Williams #4
Jason Smith #2
Jake Long #1
Joe Thomas #3
Levi Brown #5
D'Brick Ferguson #4
Robert Gallery #2
Mike Williams #4
Again as I said in my post its not so much the hit/miss rate. Its the fact that if you take a WR that high and he busts somebody is going to lose their job for that. At least if we take Sewell we took the safe route and everybody will look back and say well he was the smart pick and he was supposed to be the safest pick so that mistake is forgivable. It doesn't work that way most times with skill guys especially WRs. When you're picking #3 you try to get the surest thing possible when the pick is a luxury like we have. Obviously we have needs but its so rare a 10 win team is picking at #3 so you go the safest route you can to assure that at worst you're taking a high floor guy.

Here's an article discussing Smith's potential at the next level. These are just excerpts. The full article, linked below has more text and videos illustrating his examples.

Route running​

If a receiver doesn’t make it in the NFL this ends up being the primary reason. There used to be this idea that speed can’t be taught, but route running can — but modern thinking in the NFL is a little different. As the league has become more refined we see that speed only gets you so far, and now all 32 teams have elite athletes on defense that can mitigate quickness.
To make up for this the true test is whether receivers have suddenness. DeVonta Smith is one of the most polished route runners entering the league in a long time. He not only shows quick-twitch quickness to throw off defensive backs, but complete control over his body to fool defenders, while maintaining his composure.

Toughness and hunger for the ball​

One of the other qualities you see receivers lacking that causes them to fail at the next level is an unwillingness to take big hits, or fight for the ball when it’s in the air. Not only does Smith have the route running to get supreme separation from defensive backs, but when that fails he still fights for the ball, and he’s not afraid to take a big hit.

So, what are the knocks on him?​

There isn’t much to dislike about Smith’s game, and at best you’re nitpicking to find them. For the speed obsessed he’s probably a touch slower than you would expert from a 175 pound receiver, which also brings concerns whether he has the frame to build on without losing his fluidity.
DeVonta Smith won’t ever be a receiver in the mold of Julio Jones where he’ll easily out-muscle smaller DBs for the ball, but he more than makes up for smarts and skill.

Who does he compare to at the next level?​

At the highest of his top end we’re looking at a player who could become like Marvin Harrison or Michael Thomas. He won’t always be the fastest player on the field, but his ability and feel for the game will give him something a lot of receivers lack: Longevity. We’re looking at a guy who could play for years and years, and become a staple of the Pro Bowl, provided he gets drafted into a team with the structure to use him.
Even at his floor, I see DeVonta Smith projecting into a Keenan Allen-like player. Considering Allen has posted four 1,000 yards seasons during his seven years (so far) in the NFL, that’s a hell of a floor.

Nobody mentioning Parsons. I couldn't be upset if we got him either.

hes got some inside read and diag needs development which will effect his ceiling if it doesn’t continue to grow with reps and I really wish he had played this year for that side of things to see where the development is but every other aspect of his game is pure freakish.

I’ve heard his football character might not be the best but I’m sure not getting that from interviews with the media he’s done. Talks about staying humble and putting in the work.

Keenan Allen wins with mostly short area quickness at the top of his routes. He has top shelf short area quicks makes him a go to on 3rd down and iso

maybe that article is trying to comp production I don’t think the skill sets are the same

Last edited:
Seeing as how I wrote it yeah I obviously read it. Do you know anything about the NFL draft and its history or is trading a foreign concept to you? I also said if WE CAN if the COMPENSATION is right then yes we trade down and keep acquiring picks. The more throws you have at the dart board the more room for error you give yourself but im sure I don't need to explain that to the smartest guy in the room. They're always desperate teams in every single NFL draft since I don't know the the NFL draft was created. And I guess since you're in the FO for all 32 teams you already know their is no team out their desperate for a QB or a Heisman trophy winning WR or the best OT prospect to come out in years. Yep im sure out of 31 other teams not one is desperate enough to want those type of players. Whether they're willing to give us what we want is a different story but again I can see you've already consulted with all 31 teams and know that answer. I think we should get rid of Grier and just hire you to run the show since you are psychic and know what the other 31 teams are all thinking.
Can’t wait for the trade down of a couple of spots, acquiring the 5 pick and a vast assortment of picks to solidify the next few years of the draft. This is gonna be good.

You’re proposing trading down just to trade down for trade downs sake. Ludicrous. Of course I’m extensively familiar with the draft and all that goes into it. What’s your plan other than just trade down and get more darts. Who would you target with this trade down?

Miami has a shot at a top 3 player. An immediate starter that solidifies a position for ten years. Use the pick unless a ransom is offered which is highly doubtful.

I’d immediately go Smith at 3. Then I would trade the 18 up to about 10-12 giving up one of the second round picks to draft Micah Parsons. That’s my plan. What’s yours?

Back
Top Bottom