1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

My only concern with Smith is that he got injured on the only real contact he took all night. Yes, it wasn’t major or anything and he probably could have played if they truly needed him. But, he is going to take hits like that running across the field every week at the NFL level. To clarify, I am fine with us taking him at 3 because we need to get Tua weapons.
As the punt returner he takes hits all the time too. IMO saying it was "the only real contact he took all night" is inaccurate.

Which would be the best thing that could happen for us. If the Jets take Smith at 2 then Fields/Wilson are still on the board and our phone is ringing off the hook from teams trying to get up for 1 of the 2 QBs. If we can't get the compensation we want then we take the closest to a sure thing as their is in this draft in Sewell OR we get the better fit at WR for us which is JaMarr Chase. I know after last night everybody is enamored with Smith and falling over themselves hoping and praying Miami will take him at 3 but the best scenario possible for us is for the Jets to take him at 2. Of course this is my opinion and it doesn't mean I'm right. I think Smith is going to be really good I truly do but I think Chase is a tick better and he's much much thicker. I want every possible option on the table for us at and the Jets taking Smith at 2 provides that for us. In this scenario the only way Miami screws this up is if they go way out to left field and accept a trade that drops us below 9 or we do something crazy like take Patrick Surtain who I think is the best CB in the draft but we have way more needs than another CB.
Daniel Jeremiah was saying Jamarr Chase to Miami today too.

He is just so inconsistent for me to use a high draft pick on......Hoops..How do you view Najee?

I'm inclined to agree

That said, Watch Bmore take him in the 1st and the media gush over what a great selection

p.s The Bama player that stood out to me this yr was Metchie.

I heard all over talk radio today people saying that they Jets should take Smith at #2. It's possible he may not even make it to us.
I have been saying that. Its the Jets we talking about. Complete wild card. You know they are going to make a bad decision at this spot. Mess the whole draft up

Daniel Jeremiah was saying Jamarr Chase to Miami today too.

says chase is faster than smith too. I don’t see that on tape. But I do think smith is more pure fluid than pure top end speed.

i sure hope there is a combine and these kids run at indy.

I never expected Smith to climb so high ,last yr with Juedy ,Ruggs , Waddle and Smith. When Tua needed a completion he seemed to go to Smith. I saw Juedy drop a lot of his passes. I think Tua has a weird spin on his throws,plus being left-handed is an adjustment. Smith seemed to be on the same page as him. I always wanted him with our first pick. Waddle at that spot now might be the homerun

How can #3 be too high for a WR? There's plenty of precedent for taking a WR in the top 5, it's not like we're taking a Center or something.

Corey Davis went #5
Amari Cooper went #4
Sammy Watkins #4
Justin Blackmon #5
AJ Green #4
Calvin Johnson #2
Braylon Edward #3
Larry Fitzgerald #3
Charles Rogers #2
Andre Johnson #3
It's not the precedent concerning us. It's the fact that half of those guys busted. Corey Davis is just meh. Sammy Watkins is good but not #4 pick good. Justin Blackmon was a disgrace. Braylon Edwards is another meh. Charles Rogers was the biggest bust of them all.

We were gifted this pick. Why risk it on a 50/50 deal when you can take Sewell if he's there and even if he busts people will look back and say well we all thought he was a safe pick. Jobs are on the line when you have the #3 pick and miss.

Why draft Smith at 3 when you can possibly trade down a couple spots and pick up extra picks while still getting the same caliber of player in Chase. Everybody is ready to throw all our eggs into the Smith basket. I want to control the draft for years to come not just bet on 1 guy that is not ansure thing. I get it nothing is for sure in the draft but that's exactly why when you have a premium pick you use it to get something for now and the next year. Yes I think Chase will be the better player but I still wouldn't draft him at 3. You maximize this pick bc once we use it it's gone and that's whether we go Sewell Smith or Chase. You trade this pick if at all possible and keep it where we have 2 picks in round 1 again next year. Having more darts to throw at the board gives you more chances for success rather than depending on hitting bullseye with 1 throw.
Great idea in theory, nearly impossible in practice. Do you even read what you write?

“trade down a couple spots and acquire more picks and control the draft for years to come.”

So let’s just call the guy two spots down and three spots down and see if they want to trade up. The fact is only a desperate team is doing that. Usually for a guy they desperately want and fear will be gone in the subsequent picks ahead of them. It takes two to tango.

Through pure blind luck (ie Houston suckage) you have been dealt the third pick in the first round. This same Hou pick was 27 a year ago. Go get a crown jewel player.

With so many teams switching qbs this offseason, hopefully someone really wants fields or Wilson at 3,r

It's not the precedent concerning us. It's the fact that half of those guys busted. Corey Davis is just meh. Sammy Watkins is good but not #4 pick good. Justin Blackmon was a disgrace. Braylon Edwards is another meh. Charles Rogers was the biggest bust of them all.

We were gifted this pick. Why risk it on a 50/50 deal when you can take Sewell if he's there and even if he busts people will look back and say well we all thought he was a safe pick. Jobs are on the line when you have the #3 pick and miss.
Show me a position where half the guys haven't busted. Maybe longsnapper?

Looks about the same success rate as the WR list. Robert Gallery was supposed to be a safe pick, plug and play is what they said.

Brandon Scherff #5
Greg Robinson #2
Eric Fisher #1
Luke Joeckel #2
Lane Johnson #4
Matt Khalil #4
Trent Williams #4
Jason Smith #2
Jake Long #1
Joe Thomas #3
Levi Brown #5
D'Brick Ferguson #4
Robert Gallery #2
Mike Williams #4

How does Pitts compare to Chase and Smith? I know it's a different position but would his impact and talent be on the same level as those two?

Maybe trade down a few spots and take Pitts with 1a since he would be gone at 18 and then the best WR available at 1B, maybe Waddle? Then signing someone like Robinson or Godwin in FA. That would be a helluva WR group and a deadly TE combo of Pitts and Gesicki...

Back
Top Bottom