1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

And when you can't trade down?

If Pitts is there, I believe we will most certainly get an offer. If Jerry Jones is as head over heals as is rumored to be, oh boy will there be an offer.

As I've said before: Cannot fathom why many posters would support taking him at #6 or #7, but not at #3.

If he's your guy, pull the trigger and light a cigar. Trading down is great, but only if you are still guaranteed to land Smith. So Atlanta makes sense as a trade partner at #4 so they can block us trading out of #3 to a QB-needy team.

BTW, did you notice Alabama's Left Tackle "lighting it up" last night? No? Neither did I
Left tackles are important, but they just cannot break the game open like a DeVonta Smith can. Ask the Jets and ask Houston

F**k Sewell. Gimme DaVonta Smith
Dumbest post Ive ever read.

Being surrounded by a loaded team...he won’t have that luxury in the NFL...he will actually have to face teams of equal or even greater talent...and beat opponents who are as fast or faster and will certainly be bigger and stronger.

Look, he may have a successful NFL career....but to ignore the above because your wrapped up in college numbers of a player at an ultra elite program...is very risky!

Archie Griffin...Ohio State running back...back to back Heisman trophy’s....never rushed for a 1000 yards in 7 NFL seasons!
It seems in recent years, too, that the most successful college RBs are oft-injured and 'meh' in the NFL.

Well

“he may” struggle vs press corners

maybe

not based on film so far but you know
Im more worried about Chase struggling with NFL press corner play because he doesnt have the initial quick-twitch 'escape' that Smith does and often just bullied most NCAA DBs.
Smith has this 'Bruce Lee' power thing where he's just quicker to hit you first and break free. Force = mass x acceleration and Smith uses the latter to neutralize the former.

Some people forget that Smith was the best player in college football last year and that is why he won the Heisman Trophy. Instead they want to compare him to a bunch of smaller WR’s who were good but not great at the college level.

I have no idea if the Dolphins will draft Smith but I think whatever team does draft Smith will be getting a premier WR who will likely be a pro bowl level receiver for the next decade.
I do feel like the size comps with previous small WRs are irrelevant because nobody has ever really accomplished what Smith did in college.
Also, we fixate on his separation ability, but 'did you see all those great catches on very-contested passes?!?' Some of those catches in the back of the endzone were monstrous!
'The size of the fight in the dog': Nobody else is in Smith's country-code, much less area code, in that dept.

Some people forget that Smith was the best player in college football last year and that is why he won the Heisman Trophy. Instead they want to compare him to a bunch of smaller WR’s who were good but not great at the college level.

I have no idea if the Dolphins will draft Smith but I think whatever team does draft Smith will be getting a premier WR who will likely be a pro bowl level receiver for the next decade.

I’m pretty sure they haven’t forget. It’s just they can’t bring themselves to imagine for, a sec, that he can be successful at the next level, despite his size. Just like he was in college.

I’m pretty sure they haven’t forget. It’s just they can’t bring themselves to imagine for, a sec, that he can be successful at the next level, despite his size. Just like he was in college.
It comes from the idea that athletic ability and football ability are mutually exclusive. And when in doubt the media has taught fans to look for the prototype athlete over the best football player.

Look at Blaine Gabbert/Locker/Ponder. All of them prototypes for their position, but you don't want them on the field for your team. Two are out of the league.

Mark barron was another one. It took him years to have a productive year because somebody drafted the athlete and not the player.

Dion Jordan. He was athletic but God he sucked. Luke joeckel went one pick before. He is out of the league.

Sure athletics matter but it's only a part of the equation in playing football. Knocking Smith for weight when guys like Kevin white got drafted top 10 is the reason I get tired of the focus on height and weight. It's important but we've seen Smith dominate enough at his weight where it won't be an issue

It comes from the idea that athletic ability and football ability are mutually exclusive. And when in doubt the media has taught fans to look for the prototype athlete over the best football player.

Look at Blaine Gabbert/Locker/Ponder. All of them prototypes for their position, but you don't want them on the field for your team. Two are out of the league.

Mark barron was another one. It took him years to have a productive year because somebody drafted the athlete and not the player.

Dion Jordan. He was athletic but God he sucked. Luke joeckel went one pick before. He is out of the league.

Sure athletics matter but it's only a part of the equation in playing football. Knocking Smith for weight when guys like Kevin white got drafted top 10 is the reason I get tired of the focus on height and weight. It's important but we've seen Smith dominate enough at his weight where it won't be an issue
Nonsense...it’s about risk versus reward...a top 6 pick should be a prototype, not a player of such slight weight for his height that has proven to be much lower probability of success on the professional level.....

What it’s not about is watching college amateur football where one team dominates and thinking that that success will definitely translate, despite his deficiency...

Nonsense...it’s about risk versus reward...a top 6 pick should be a prototype, not a player of such slight weight for his height that has proven to be much lower probability of success on the professional level.....

What it’s not about is watching college amateur football where one team dominates and thinking that that success will definitely translate, despite his deficiency...

How exactly is it a deficiency. What happens when you're 9 pounds less than ideal? Does he explode when someone touches him? Do go on.

Except you can clearly see what a great reciever he is. Not because Alabama dominated people, but because if you watch Smith you see all the tools a reciever needs to succeed.

Let alone weight matters very little in determining strength. I've seen guys smaller and lighter than me lift more weights. Simply because they focused on their technique and overall strength.

So you want a prototype, that's fine. But ignoring the football aspect of a player because college football is an "amateur" sport is nonsense. It's the only real indicator on if a player has the skills to succeed. So if I am drafting a prototype he better have the skills. And right now there isn't another prototype in the draft at wr. Some good talent, but no Calvin or Julio.

Except you can clearly see what a great reciever he is. Not because Alabama dominated people, but because if you watch Smith you see all the tools a reciever needs to succeed.

Let alone weight matters very little in determining strength. I've seen guys smaller and lighter than me lift more weights. Simply because they focused on their technique and overall strength.

So you want a prototype, that's fine. But ignoring the football aspect of a player because college football is an "amateur" sport is nonsense. It's the only real indicator on if a player has the skills to succeed. So if I am drafting a prototype he better have the skills. And right now there isn't another prototype in the draft at wr. Some good talent, but no Calvin or Julio.
There is at TE/WR.Smirk_Face_Emoji_grande.png

Back
Top Bottom