1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

Saban said he wished he was heavier than 155 when he recruited him. After Waddell got hurt, Smith came in and dominated beating double teams and was simply uncoverable against strong SEC opponents, OSU and ND. He's a hard worker with a chip on his shoulder, he has less of an injury history than the other two top WR's and I wouldn't be upset with the pick. My top choices in order are Pitts, Sewell, Smith, Chase, Waddell.

Its entirely irrelevant what other players at the position weigh.

You'd need to determine how much their success/failure was a factor of weight and how much was skill.

When you're making a comparison to people like Pinkston I can only stop and laugh because its obvious at that point the person no longer has the ability to put their preconceived bias aside.

There have been 38 wide receivers who weighed 175 pounds or less at the scouting combine since 2000, according to pro-football-reference.com and only two of them became first-round picks: Tavon Austin and Marquise Brown.

But Austin was listed at 5-8, Brown at 5-9. They just have different physiques. In that time span, there have been nine wide receivers weigh 175 or less and stand at least 5-11.

Not one of them has been a first-round pick. Two were second-round picks: Paul Richardson and Todd Pinkston.

Of the 38, only one really became an impact player in the NFL, and that's DeSean Jackson. But even then Jackson was a bit different because he was more compact (5-10, 169) and he also ran a 4.35, compared to the reported 4.49 time for Smith.

Now how many of them were remotely close to being as dominant as Smith in college while playing against the best competition, and the best defenders the game had to offer at that level AND winning the Heisman?

I’ll wait!!

Your entire premise is because it’s not common let’s dismiss everything this kid has accomplished.

I don’t care if he’s 143.....He can play. I would rather have Pitts..... But I wouldn’t be mad if we took Smith.

he is the right fit for us imo

He's really hard to pass if you're sitting there at 6 and Chase + Pitts are gone. He's a near guarantee to produce in the NFL - it's just a matter of what level. Insanely high floor. You are bringing a Heisman winning WR back to a QB that threw him lasers in college. You're walking away with future draft capital including a 1st. That's an easy sell to Ross as a GM. You look like you nailed it immediately after the draft. 3 years from then? Maybe, maybe not.

I can see the justification running through Grier's head and how folks are connecting those dots. I also think Grier is going to swing for the fences and we're getting Pitts or future Picks + the best of what remains @ 9, because frankly Waddle vs Smith is a toss up and I think Miami wins either way there

Why draft Smith at 3 when you can possibly trade down a couple spots and pick up extra picks while still getting the same caliber of player in Chase. Everybody is ready to throw all our eggs into the Smith basket. I want to control the draft for years to come not just bet on 1 guy that is not ansure thing. I get it nothing is for sure in the draft but that's exactly why when you have a premium pick you use it to get something for now and the next year. Yes I think Chase will be the better player but I still wouldn't draft him at 3. You maximize this pick bc once we use it it's gone and that's whether we go Sewell Smith or Chase. You trade this pick if at all possible and keep it where we have 2 picks in round 1 again next year. Having more darts to throw at the board gives you more chances for success rather than depending on hitting bullseye with 1 throw.

Nice post.

I somewhat agree. Moving around too much might find you missing out on a superstar though.

My thing is, if we at Finheaven are debating over 3 WRs, it’s logical to think all 3 are rated very closely.

To appease the forum, let’s say you have Smith, Chase, Waddell at A+, A. A-.

Given the fact that YOU HAVE NO IDEA which one is going to be a star at the NFL level, why not move back a few spots if your guaranteed one of the three are there.

If I’m rating my haul, I’d prefer A- with additional picks rather than a single A+.

The main factor, as it always is, is the offer.

Now how many of them were remotely close to being as dominant as Smith in college while playing against the best competition, and the best defenders the game had to offer at that level AND winning the Heisman?

I’ll wait!!

Your entire premise is because it’s not common let’s dismiss everything this kid has accomplished.
Some people forget that Smith was the best player in college football last year and that is why he won the Heisman Trophy. Instead they want to compare him to a bunch of smaller WR’s who were good but not great at the college level.

I have no idea if the Dolphins will draft Smith but I think whatever team does draft Smith will be getting a premier WR who will likely be a pro bowl level receiver for the next decade.

Back
Top Bottom