16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan

There is a scouting angle that I believe deserves more of a look. Mackenzie asserts that Jordan is awful against the run. I didn't see it that way, but I also don't agree with the claims that Jordan is very good against the run. It's incomplete and undetermined at this point, IMO.

When Jordan is credited with excellence against the run, far too often it's simply a product of the system, not unlike Kenjon Barner exploding into wide open spaces. Who cares if Jordan takes an undisturbed slant and blows up a running play in the backfield? Oregon has done that with any number of guys since switching to this attacking mode. There are flash examples from Jordan in every game. Extreme kudos to Mackenzie for all but ignoring them.

How will Jordan hold up in traditional running plays in the NFL? I'm not sure. Stanford's tackles buckled him a few times and made him look bad. This is where the Heath Evans angle comes in, that Jordan lacks a powerful base. We'll be able to use Jordan in preferred roles more often than not but he's inevitably going to be out there in short yardage and red zone situations, if there's any hope of fulfilling #3 status.

Should be noted he had a torn labrum when Stanford's linemen buckled him those few times. Any game after the Colorado game = torn labrum.

I don't think I am ever going to agree with this angle that what a player "was rated" a year before the draft is more telling than where the NFL is grading him during the draft.

I've said this before. It's a great tool for perspective with free agents, but it's not very good at all with draft prospects. First off, rated by whom? How exactly do you know what a guy "is rated" at any point in time? Because you checked NFL Draft Scout? If that's your answer you and I are going to have a big problem. If not, do you speak with scouts? How many? How many have specifically told you grades on this player?

It's one thing if you're quoting the National Scouting and/or BLESTO pre-season rankings. But few people actually are, when they talk about where a guy "is rated" or "was rated" at a given point in time. I've never found those National Scouting or BLESTO rankings very helpful anyway. They're all over the map. They'd probably have me drafting Tyler Bray in the 1st round. Then he goes undrafted.

The poster boy for the merits of this argument is Michael Johnson. He was a BLESTO pre-season #1 overall rated prospect. By draft day he sank to the 3rd round I believe. Some people crowed about how stupid the pre-season BLESTO/National Scouting rankings are to have had him #1 overall, but then of course now Michael is a starting defensive end playing this year on the franchise tag. The problem is, in my experience, this doesn't happen nearly enough. It's the exception, not the rule.

I mean if you're going to sit here and say, what you thought a year ago should matter as much or more than what you think now, and that's why Dion Jordan is a bad 1st round pick...then I'm going to naturally point out that I fell in love with the player a year ago. If you're going to tell me that "everyone" figured the guy for a 3rd round pick a year ago, I'm going to point out that survey that asked 20 NFL personnel evaluators to name the best defensive player in the NFL five years from now, and how Dion Jordan appeared on the survey results right along side guys like Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul and J.J. Watt. And this survey happened when, exactly? A year ago. So don't sit here and tell me "everyone" considered this guy a 3rd round pick a year ago and that's why he's not a good 1st round pick today.

Gratz Awsi on a Great article IMO...Great find to see that a 16 year old kid could actually write up an evaluation like this(rather its right or wrong)

Of course every pick Ireland makes he hits the jackpot(on this board) on until later they are traded,dont see the field,dont make the team or somehow make the team and just flat out suck on.This is a classic post of how BY FAR this team has the biggest bunch of HOMERS fan base ever!! In all Professional sports.

This is not to say wether Jordan will be good or bad but theres alot of holes in his game that can be corrected.This pick no doubt is a projection of what player Can be and not for a player that has just 5 sacks against a lowsy PAC10 LT RT play.

Hopefully Philbin Coyle and company can get what can be had from a physical talent like him to a player that Lavar Arrington turned out to be!!

jimmiesrustlesoftly-1.jpg

There is a scouting angle that I believe deserves more of a look. Mackenzie asserts that Jordan is awful against the run. I didn't see it that way, but I also don't agree with the claims that Jordan is very good against the run. It's incomplete and undetermined at this point, IMO.

When Jordan is credited with excellence against the run, far too often it's simply a product of the system, not unlike Kenjon Barner exploding into wide open spaces. Who cares if Jordan takes an undisturbed slant and blows up a running play in the backfield? Oregon has done that with any number of guys since switching to this attacking mode. There are flash examples from Jordan in every game. Extreme kudos to Mackenzie for all but ignoring them.

How will Jordan hold up in traditional running plays in the NFL? I'm not sure. Stanford's tackles buckled him a few times and made him look bad. This is where the Heath Evans angle comes in, that Jordan lacks a powerful base. We'll be able to use Jordan in preferred roles more often than not but he's inevitably going to be out there in short yardage and red zone situations, if there's any hope of fulfilling #3 status.

This thread is very funny and I had to read all post X's 2 .Killer!!

Dion Jordon will be part of the "Miami Heat" Package.

Kevin Coyle has endless opportunities with the Blitz packages by just the addition of a few players.Sadly last year Miami seemed to get most of its pressure with Saftey and CB blitzes...Now the "Heat" will come from all angles....I'm am jacked about the addition of DJ and seeing how Coyle will use him in Run Blitzes and 3rd and long from day 1:up:

Im sure not many here have actual scouting experience but its just another persons take. Hell who knows if his stepdad was an nfl player and another relative worked as a scout he could be the next Jeff Ireland

Opinions are fine, I think where the objection lies is referring to the 16 year old as a scout, which is laughable.

Opinions are fine, I think where the objection lies is referring to the 16 year old as a scout, which is laughable.

That's a very specific term that refers to a very specific set of people that do a very specific job. I have never, ever felt comfortable assigning that word to myself even though so many people attempt to put it on me. It's just not an accurate title. I'm a writer with an opinion. A well-researched, well-experienced opinion. That's all this 16 year old kid is, a guy with an opinion. Well-researched he may be, but I do tend to doubt well-experienced. Though it's still possible.

You guys do understand the OP was just yanking our chains right ?
i don't think he puts much stock in the kids opinion but rather was looking for the reaction he got.
12 pages worth as of now.

The last thing we need now are evaluations/opinions from a teenager.It's been bad enough having a three year old(Ireland)running things into the ground.Yes...I know we had a solid offseason/draft,but I believe Philbin had a BIG hand in it.Besides,Ireland waits til he's on the Hot Seat to make moves?Where's it been since '08,when Parcells/Ireland took over? No Thanks/No Love for Ireland from me......ZERO!!!!!

I'm sure this kid puts work in, but I just do not understand the notion that somebody who can't even get into an R-Rated movie without mommy accompanying him can be an expert in anything other than teenager slang.

Good read. For people bashing the kid do you not think Jordan is a boom or bust type prospect? Obviously since we picked him his ceiling is greatest ever and his floor Jason Taylor type great. I have a feeling if the Jets would have picked him he would be labeled Gholston 2.0 by 95% of the members here.

He does have some nice things to say about Dion Sims, I'm much more excited about that pick now after reading.

Jordan is the ultimate boom or bust. What he has that Gholston never had, tho, is a high-revving motor and an admitted love of football. LOVE of football. The kid eats all aspects of football up, by all accounts..

That's a very specific term that refers to a very specific set of people that do a very specific job. I have never, ever felt comfortable assigning that word to myself even though so many people attempt to put it on me. It's just not an accurate title. I'm a writer with an opinion. A well-researched, well-experienced opinion. That's all this 16 year old kid is, a guy with an opinion. Well-researched he may be, but I do tend to doubt well-experienced. Though it's still possible.

Agreed, the obvious difference between you and him(I'm sure there are more) is without a doubt experience....which is self-evident by age alone.

Back
Top Bottom