20 years still can’t build an O- Line. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

20 years still can’t build an O- Line.

Sorry, when you desperately need a Qb and you have one sitting there that has all the makings of a Star , you dont pass on that. Especially for a lineman. Long was overrated, far from dominant. Pro bowls mean next to nothing. Ryan may make the hall of fame.

I don't see how anyone can still defend the Long pick when one guy is still leading an NFL franchise and has been to a Superbowl.

I have nothing against Jake, he was damn good but I'm taking the QB every time.

I don't see how anyone can still defend the Long pick when one guy is still leading an NFL franchise and has been to a Superbowl.

I have nothing against Jake, he was damn good but I'm taking the QB every time.
its out of stubbornness and i guess blind faith in the organization . If the long pick was a failure what is the 2020 draft ? lol we could have had justin jefferson and either a stud RB or several good lineman.

Sorry, when you desperately need a Qb and you have one sitting there that has all the makings of a Star , you dont pass on that. Especially for a lineman. Long was overrated, far from dominant. Pro bowls mean next to nothing. Ryan may make the hall of fame.
i think you (and ghostarm) were missing the point of my post.

he is complaining that we have been trying to fix our OLine for 20 years, and mentions taking Jake Long (over Matt Ryan) as part of that failed process.

i never said that we should have taken Jake Long over Matt Ryan.

And I didn't say pro bowls.

I said All Pro (first team in 2010).

he is complaining that we have been trying to fix our OLine for 20 years, and mentions taking Jake Long (over Matt Ryan) as part of that failed process.

i hear you but the Jake Long pick has to be considered part of that failed process . you took an LT #1 and what did that line ever end up amounting to? i At one point we had 3 first rounders on that line as well. Pouncey , Long and Carey. If im not mistaken there was a 4th at some point. something just doesn't add up when teams can build a competent O line in one offseason.

I wasn't really meaning you in my reply, I just meant anyone who still thinks Long over Ryan was a good pick.

Selecting Long obviously had nothing to do with our oline issues, he was really good when available.

He was an All Pro player twice 2nd team in 2009 and 1st team in 2010 in his 2nd and 3rd year. How is that far from dominant?

He was an All Pro player twice 2nd team in 2009 and 1st team in 2010 in his 2nd and 3rd year. How is that far from dominant?
im not one to call a player dominant based on pro bowl appearances. I haven't missed a dolphins snap since 1997. I watched him get bull rushed and put on the floor one too many times to be "dominant" Good player and one that would be an amazing piece for what we have now but definitely overhyped in my opinion

im not one to call a player dominant based on pro bowl appearances. I haven't missed a dolphins snap since 1997. I watched him get bull rushed and put on the floor one too many times to be "dominant" Good player and one that would be an amazing piece for what we have now but definitely overhyped in my opinion
You realize nobody is using the word pro bowl except you right? We're all saying All-Pro which is what he was twice in the 1st 3 years which made him elite.

Last edited:
In 2010 only Joe Thomas could be questioned to being better, he wasn't stating pro bowls he said all pro. In 2009 and 2010 he was one of only 2 to 3 players selected to that honor. He absolutely was one of the most dominant lineman those 2 years in the NFL.

Yeah, we blitzed at over twice the rate that the Pats did. That's why Jones always had an outlet if he was able to find it under pressure.

NE generated pressure with less rushers and more guys in coverage.

It's pretty simple.

Can't build an Oline in 20 years?? That's silly to even being up! We've changes coaching regimes a half dozen times in that span.

It's like there's someone that's been scouting and making decisions for that looon.... oh I see what you did there. Well played~

You keep trying push some false narrative that it was a random's person on Twitter's opinion and they are grabbing it from no where. It's not.

1. It's coming from an ESPN NFL reporter.
2. The information was stated as coming from ESPN's stats and info

If you have alternative stats that show Tua was pressured more, then please present them. The stats you are showing are meaningless in this discussion.

Here's another separate statistic showing Jones was pressured more:

PRSS%
Jones: 27.5%
Tua: 17.2%

QB HITS:
Tua: 2
Jones: 8 (#1 in league)

BLITZED:
Tua: 6
Jones: 21

Finally you come up with something tangible... Kudos!

"The stats you are showing are meaningless in this discussion."

See thats the thing, the stats Im showing are about trying to add context to the tweet you posted, which is very vague. Tua 0-4 INT, Mac Jones 8-12 TD, (no mention of the fumble) and no info about the yardage gained whatsoever... Had a quick look at Mac's throws in the game, the most obvious pressures I could find were he was successfull were mostly screens who gained a couple of yards. The TD was a very nice play with an unblocked blitzer in his face, I'll give you that. After watching the throws though, its kind of obvious to me now why no yardage info was included.

This is ridiculous. The OL sucks.
It start with Bill Parcells taking Jake Long and not Matt Ryan.
I know the BS a win is a win.
Dolphins are not getting to the playoffs unless they improve on the line.
Now it seems like both sides of the ball.
Where was Jaelan Phillips??
Also the play calling still was bad. Isn’t it the same as if you have 2 QBs you have none. Maybe the same goes for having 2 offensive coordinators!
I thought Tua still looked avg. at best.
but who knows he barely had a clean pocket. Look at Jones clean pocket all day and that was with Brown out the game.
I am happy to be 1-0.
Buffalo is going to be pissed they better be ready.

Sooner or later if the people responsible for fixing the o-line are not getting it done then they need to be shown the door. Whether it's Grier or the scouts or the o-line coach. Somebody needs to answer for this garbage.

Back
Top Bottom