2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by J. David Wannyheimer, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:33 PM.

1. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Nice write up. The one thing I don't agree with is Ballage(the bad part you wrote). Yes the fumble was bad but other than that he ran hard and realy was probably our best player on offense last night. I think he'll be fine.

2. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

I want Gase to coach these guys up to putting points up no matter who is playing every chance they get. Bottom line: score a lot. Three and outs, inconsistency and lack of execution does carry over into the regular season. We need a culture of points. The Steelers and Green Bay put up 30 with back ups. That culture starts now and we are starting with the same lack of scoring that we have had since Gase got here (and before that). Score points, that is all.

Martel13 and Superself like this.
  3. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Excellent summary. Thank you.

I wasn't able to watch the game so it is nice to see a simple, concise summary of what occurred last night.

I don't put a whole lot of weight in the preseason except to look for continuous improvement and fine tuning as the players develop their chemistry and mastery of the playbook. With the coaches keeping things simple, I am confident that the results are not always indicative of the ability and game planning.

Besides, didn't the Lions go 4-0 in the preseason in 2008 when they finished 0-16?

Ray R likes this.
  4. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's a glorified practice.

Nice to have football back.

The fumble from Ballage was awful, that play really stuck out, and Wilson looked like he really wanted it out there too.

The offensive line held up well.

I get excited for the first preseason game then remember it's the first preseason game.

5. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Finheaven VIP Donator

Yawn. Lost starting MLB in preseason. Disgruntled Suh doing his own thing. Corner depth depleted with Lippett injury. Had a SS starting at FS.

6. finfanatl

finfanatl Well-Known Member

Good analysis.
    Agree with a lot of what you said.
    I noticed Eric Smith at backup RT looking good also.
    But disagree on Jerome Baker.
    I thought he showed a great noise for the ball.
    Was all over the place making plays.
    Had some rookie mistakes, but overall stood out.

kevphin and Ray R like this.
  7. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

I have to disagree with you here. "The Bucs aren't that talented", are you kidding me? They have one the most talented receiving corps in the NFL, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, DeSean Jackson moving to slot, Adam Humphries, and two TEs in Cameron Brate and O.J. Howard. They have very physical players on the defensive side of the ball, Gerald McCoy, JPP, Lavonte David, and Kwon Alexander.

I agree with "talent wins out," but lets match the talent up evenly and see how it falls, that didn't happen last night. When they have their starting QB (Winston) playing against our second team D for the entire second quarter, that creates a huge disadvantage.

Considering this was the first preseason game, I have to admit, the pass protection was GREAT (especially for Tannehill)! The no huddle offense looks like it will be a real thing this year.

Defense and Special Teams have some things to work out. Rizzi's unit will be fine, he always gets the job done; but Burke has a lot work to do with his unit.

joenhre, Ray R, Classic and 1 other person like this.
  8. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

Nicely summarized.

I'm very worried about our kicking game and middle of the D.

Ray R likes this.
  9. Phinfan407

Phinfan407 Well-Known Member

Not sure about Burke, players look tremendously confused and out of place. It's definitely scheme. There were times where guys caught the ball in the middle of the field and NO ONE was there. IMO he's calling the wrong defensive plays and getting out schemed.

10. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

I think you make a good point about getting out schemed. There were some plays where the defense looked lost at times, and some plays the opposing WRs were wide open. Burke has work to do, but it's preseason for these young coaches too. He has a lot of new pieces, and needs to figure out how to use them effectively. In his defense, it was encouraging when watching the games he called against Denver and New England last December. His blitzing kept Tom Brady out of rhythm the entire game. Let's hope he can figure it out become more consistent.

joenhre likes this.
  11. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Firstly I'll say, first preseason game, so I'm not overly worried just yet.

However, what I did notice is that the middle of our D looks ... bad. D line in particular. Felt they were moved far too easily, and the Bucs moved the ball too easily.
    Great to see RT back, and he looked good.
    James ... I'm not his greatest fan, that penalty annoyed me. That needs to be cut out - likewise, the encroachment by Godchaux.
    Love the look of Minkah. Gesicki could be great in red zone with well thrown balls.
    Saw some good and bad from Ballage.
    Howard ... don't think he's quite at shutdown level yet, and to be honest, that makes me wonder about just how bad DeVante is going to be this year.

KBEE likes this.
  12. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

13. dougb123

dougb123 Well-Known Member

Minkah was impressive and looked like the best player out there.
    Baker was impressive, so much so that that I would look to move linebackers around, give Barker WSLB, Kiko and McMillian I would experiment with MLB and SSLB
    All the cornerback were unimpressive, Burkes fault crappy scheme if he can't fix it fire him fast
    Ford was impressive in a limited roll - keeper on the 53, hang him on the practice squad he is gone.
    Gelsicki got open, a bad pass in end zone, was none factor for the most part
    Petty was the most impressive QB, should be given a chance with the 1s and 2s - going against the 3s is different but earned a chance
    Ballage was unimpressive, an easy tackle for a big guy
    Senorise Perry was impressive as a runner, he is the 3rd back in my opinion
    Charles Harris was totally unimpressive, no pass rush what so ever

Run game other than Perry was unimpressive - Drake WTH
    Tannehill couldn't keep it going - FG's were all your getting from him, not good enough

Defensive scheme absolutely sucks, to much open space as a whole and the CB give up way space, playing 10 yards off at times

While I don't put to much stock in pre-season games if we look like this in the regular season were a 3-13 team

Both Tampa QB walked right thru our defense - was like taking candy from a toddler

Very unimpressive outing - I expected more

14. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Fales broke Osweiler

Fales > Petty > Osweiler > ?

15. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Am I the only one not impressed by Fales' arm strength? He seems to have to really step into the throw to get any velocity. He should still be the backup based on who else is on the roster, but I sure don't want him to have to play much.

16. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Jesus, I hope he doesn't have to play much :nailbiting

17. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

.....And in 2017 played a chocolate D in regular season. Chocolate. A deep dark chocolate. You know what I mean

circumstances likes this.
  18. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I don't think arm strength is an issue at all with Fales. His passes have plenty of zip and a nice trajectory. I do think nerves are an issue due to inexperience....he's amped up out there. He has to relax.

I think it causes him to grip the football too tight - which results in low, off target throws on medium range crossing routes or out routes. It affects accuracy and spin. I think Tannehill suffered from the same thing on a few throws last night. Most likely due to seeing his first real action in years. It's difficult to keep your body relaxed and tension at bay playing quarterback. The ability to do this is what makes Aaron Rodgers so consistent. Nobody plays the position more tension free and relaxed than he does.

19. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

How was Drake unimpressive? Or Ballage?

Ray R likes this.
  20. dirkey

I thought Drake was OK personally. Ballage had some good moments as a receiver. As a runner, it looked to me like he missed some open lanes. But I'm no expert!

21. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Because he has a very specific agenda...

Classic and Ray R like this.
  22. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

He throws lollipops, but that one deep ball he completed was beautiful.

23. finfanatl

finfanatl Well-Known Member

I don't know what game you were watching, but how was Drake and Ballage unimpressive?
    Drake averaged over 5 yards a carry in limited play.
    Ballage averaged almost 4 yards a carry and had 3 receptions.
    He also picked up some blitzes and had some good blocks.
    Other than the fumble, he had a very good game.
    And the fumble was not from TB knocking the ball loose, but from hitting the ball with his knee when he leaped.
    That is from extra effort and not from being lazy.

Superself likes this.
  24. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

I just want to note how many are saying that you can't take much from the first pre-season game but then go and deep dive into how terrible the team looks.

25. dirkey

Which I think is perfectly reasonable. From my point of view, I'm saying, I'm not stressing...yet. However, these are the bad things I noticed. Some of these have been recurring themes in this tenure of Gase. So I'm noting them, and if they continue, particularly into the 3rd pre season game, well then I'll start to get worried.

26. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Our run blocking was gashing the Bucs in the second quarter. Senorise Perry took much better advantage of the holes than Kalen Ballage did.

Ballage impressed me with a great pass blocking pickup, and he's an outstanding athlete, but the vision isn't there.

djphinfan likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

I specified in “camp”, and that was based on the four practices I attended... he goes 100 percent on every drill, and was the last player on the field all four days I was there..

After each practice he and Dowell Loggains would go off to the side and work hard..

So it was just an observation from camp

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM
  28. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

You wont get definitive anwsers in pre-season, except for maybe the 3rd game's first half... But I mean, the middle of the D is a perceived weakness in 2018... It was before before the game, and while not definitive because reasons, they havent given us anything to change this perception... the middle of the D absolutely struggled out there...

29. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Trae Elston had a couple of big hits on what I believe was back to back plays....one a run and one a pass. He was a certified bad @ss for the "Landsharks" defense at Ole Miss a couple years ago. He brought that SEC level of physicality to the waning moments of the game. May have something there with that kid if he can learn the playbook. His issues were more off the field.

30. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

All you have to do is look at last pre season and that 5 game losing streak from last season and you'll see the same thing you saw last night. Players are confused playing in this defense. I'm not a Burke fan either. He's over his head and Miami may pay a steep price for it. Dare I say Olividotti 2.0!!!

31. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Can't be the players though.

32. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Your take on Ballage is 100% dead on. I think even Tannehill was taken aback by how well Ballage picked up that blitz on the deep pass to Amendola.