2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts

Am I the only one not impressed by Fales' arm strength? He seems to have to really step into the throw to get any velocity. He should still be the backup based on who else is on the roster, but I sure don't want him to have to play much.

He throws lollipops, but that one deep ball he completed was beautiful.

Minkah was impressive and looked like the best player out there.
Baker was impressive, so much so that that I would look to move linebackers around, give Barker WSLB, Kiko and McMillian I would experiment with MLB and SSLB
All the cornerback were unimpressive, Burkes fault crappy scheme if he can't fix it fire him fast
Ford was impressive in a limited roll - keeper on the 53, hang him on the practice squad he is gone.
Gelsicki got open, a bad pass in end zone, was none factor for the most part
Petty was the most impressive QB, should be given a chance with the 1s and 2s - going against the 3s is different but earned a chance
Ballage was unimpressive, an easy tackle for a big guy
Senorise Perry was impressive as a runner, he is the 3rd back in my opinion
Charles Harris was totally unimpressive, no pass rush what so ever

Run game other than Perry was unimpressive - Drake WTH
Tannehill couldn't keep it going - FG's were all your getting from him, not good enough

Defensive scheme absolutely sucks, to much open space as a whole and the CB give up way space, playing 10 yards off at times

While I don't put to much stock in pre-season games if we look like this in the regular season were a 3-13 team

Both Tampa QB walked right thru our defense - was like taking candy from a toddler

Very unimpressive outing - I expected more

I don't know what game you were watching, but how was Drake and Ballage unimpressive?
Drake averaged over 5 yards a carry in limited play.
Ballage averaged almost 4 yards a carry and had 3 receptions.
He also picked up some blitzes and had some good blocks.
Other than the fumble, he had a very good game.
And the fumble was not from TB knocking the ball loose, but from hitting the ball with his knee when he leaped.
That is from extra effort and not from being lazy.

I just want to note how many are saying that you can't take much from the first pre-season game but then go and deep dive into how terrible the team looks.

I just want to note how many are saying that you can't take much from the first pre-season game but then go and deep dive into how terrible the team looks.
Which I think is perfectly reasonable. From my point of view, I'm saying, I'm not stressing...yet. However, these are the bad things I noticed. Some of these have been recurring themes in this tenure of Gase. So I'm noting them, and if they continue, particularly into the 3rd pre season game, well then I'll start to get worried.

I don't know what game you were watching, but how was Drake and Ballage unimpressive?
Drake averaged over 5 yards a carry in limited play.
Ballage averaged almost 4 yards a carry and had 3 receptions.
He also picked up some blitzes and had some good blocks.
Other than the fumble, he had a very good game.
And the fumble was not from TB knocking the ball loose, but from hitting the ball with his knee when he leaped.
That is from extra effort and not from being lazy.

Our run blocking was gashing the Bucs in the second quarter. Senorise Perry took much better advantage of the holes than Kalen Ballage did.

Ballage impressed me with a great pass blocking pickup, and he's an outstanding athlete, but the vision isn't there.

to play devils advocate, how do you measure something like "hard work"? Especially if you're not around the team?
I specified in “camp”, and that was based on the four practices I attended... he goes 100 percent on every drill, and was the last player on the field all four days I was there..

After each practice he and Dowell Loggains would go off to the side and work hard..

So it was just an observation from camp

Last edited:
You wont get definitive anwsers in pre-season, except for maybe the 3rd game's first half... But I mean, the middle of the D is a perceived weakness in 2018... It was before before the game, and while not definitive because reasons, they havent given us anything to change this perception... the middle of the D absolutely struggled out there...

Trae Elston had a couple of big hits on what I believe was back to back plays....one a run and one a pass. He was a certified bad @ss for the "Landsharks" defense at Ole Miss a couple years ago. He brought that SEC level of physicality to the waning moments of the game. May have something there with that kid if he can learn the playbook. His issues were more off the field.

Not sure about Burke, players look tremendously confused and out of place. It's definitely scheme. There were times where guys caught the ball in the middle of the field and NO ONE was there. IMO he's calling the wrong defensive plays and getting out schemed.
All you have to do is look at last pre season and that 5 game losing streak from last season and you'll see the same thing you saw last night. Players are confused playing in this defense. I'm not a Burke fan either. He's over his head and Miami may pay a steep price for it. Dare I say Olividotti 2.0!!!

Not sure about Burke, players look tremendously confused and out of place. It's definitely scheme. There were times where guys caught the ball in the middle of the field and NO ONE was there. IMO he's calling the wrong defensive plays and getting out schemed.
Can't be the players though.

Your take on Ballage is 100% dead on. I think even Tannehill was taken aback by how well Ballage picked up that blitz on the deep pass to Amendola.

Back
Top Bottom