2019 Dolphins Qb Please | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Dolphins Qb Please

Too much $$$$ and has never accomplished anything outside of Philly. But, he did beat the Pats which was glorious.

Name me how many QB’s have accomplished great feats with two different teams?

You can probably count them on one hand...also Foles is still in the middle of his career so it’s a little lame to judge his early struggles...Drew Brees struggled early among others.

That there's some Jim Jonesesque stuff, Digital. I'm drinking your Kool-Aid!
LOL! I'll …. take that as a compliment I guess? Unfortunately, the goal of competitiveness rewards poor performing teams with resources … and we do need resources to rebuild this team. Kinda like weight-lifting … it's painful in the short term but rewarding in the long term.

It still makes me laugh when people judge a QB class and say there is only one QB worth drafting...or two.

Yet year after year a team is rewarded for ignoring that...doing their scouting work... and taking a shot on a Russell Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady in later rounds(after round 1)...or QB’s that we’re considered less that elite or top ten like an Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson.

Let the pro’s scout and take a shot when it makes sense... to just assume there are no QB’s worth taking a shot on in this draft is stupid and ignores history.

It still makes me laugh when people judge a QB class and say there is only one QB worth drafting...or two

Are they sayin that there’s only one or two QB’s worth drafting at #13 or in the entire draft? If they’re talking about #13, then I agree.

It still makes me laugh when people judge a QB class and say there is only one QB worth drafting...or two.

Yet year after year a team is rewarded for ignoring that...doing their scouting work... and taking a shot on a Russell Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady in later rounds(after round 1)...or QB’s that we’re considered less that elite or top ten like an Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson.

Let the pro’s scout and take a shot when it makes sense... to just assume there are no QB’s worth taking a shot on in this draft is stupid and ignores history.
Maybe, but not every draft has a wealth of QB talent. Let's consider the 2011 draft. Many people thought there was only 1 good prospect there, Cam Newton, and he went #1 overall, but that didn't stop teams from picking QB's. Here's a rundown of all the QB's drafted in 2011.

First Round:
1 - Cam Newton - Carolina Panthers
8 - Jake Locker - Tennessee Titans
10 - Blaine Gabbert - Jacksonville Jaguars
12 - Christian Ponder - Minnesota Vikings

Second Round:
35 - Andy Dalton - Cincinnati Bengals
36 - Colin Kaepernick - San Francisco 49'ers

Third Round:
74 - Ryan Mallet - New England Patriots

Fourth Round:
None

Fifth Round:
135 - Ricky Stanzi - KC Chiefs
152 - TJ Yates - Houston Texans
160 - Nathan Enderle - Chicago Bears

Sixth Round:
180 - Tyrod Taylor - Baltimore Ravens

Seventh Round:
208 - Greg McElroy - NY Jets

I would argue that the only QB who truly benefitted the team that drafted him was Cam Newton, and he went #1 overall. You could make a case for Andy Dalton, but I've never been impressed with him, so I'll leave that one for people to decide for themselves. You could make the case for Colin Kaepernick, but his combined yardage (pass + run) totals consisted of 32; 2,229; 3,721; 4,008; 1,871; and 2,709 in his 6 seasons in San Francisco. None of the other guys had any real success with the teams that drafted them. One could say that one or two may have had success with their second team, but drafting is about benefitting the team that drafts you. This isn't the only draft where that's the case, but it's just one that is recent enough to remember while having given them ample time to make a decision, and enough QB's taken in round 1 and 2 to make it a reasonable comparison.

To me, none of the QB prospects in this draft are good fits for us if we are going to run that Patriots offense … it's ill-suited for all of them. But, I do see 1 QB prospect in this draft--Kyler Murray--who has potential to be a good NFL QB in the right system if everything works out (no baseball distraction, remains healthy, etc.).

The problem is for every Russell Wilson, there are 20 Garrett Graysons. And the reason guys like Wilson and Brady are lower round picks maens 32 teams didn't see them as a higher pick . . . two or thee times. There is no better indicator of how subjective evaluations are than mid/low round picks playing very well in the pros. But, consider your example. Christian, Ponder, and Gabbert went ahead of Dalton. When EVERY team misses on a guy (or guys), the problem isn't the evaluator - it's the inherent messiness of the process.

In the case of Flores and the '19 draft, it will be even more difficult. What Flores will emphasize - quick mental ability - has no evaluation criteria like arm strength. No metric. No stop watch. Yes, teams can look at college tape, but every fan knows that has little apparent correlation with mental talent in the pros.

Yes, I'm all in on a QB at a reasonable price, but fans can't overlook two major unknowns.
1) Does Flores even have an interest in a '19 QB, and if so, with how much urgency?
2) How does any FO/HC identify a QB with the mental aptitude Flores' system apparently requires. If he sees Murray as checking all the athletic boxes, but not having the mental aptitude, what does he do?

Yes but how does us being good help us get a franchise QB? Foles is not by any means elite, so I can't see them hitching their waggon to him long term. Now if they got their QB this draft, the move would make sense, but I also doubt that happens.

Unless Foles or someone else is seen as the long-term QB. Not saying I WANT that, but what does Flores want?

Tannehill is needs to stay, if you're hell bent on tanking, i know he's owed 27 millions but that's peanuts. Get that O-line functioning, Draft a QB in 3rd round that you're really committed to playing this year or next. Screw waiting for Tua, fans don't want to watch crap product on the field at the prices of those tickets because they are more than one player away. Tannehill gets hurt because the O-line was crap last season and has been for the last 5 seasons and you think it's all going to get better with another QB, I repect everything that is said on this board but some of you guys really need to watch the games and analyze what is real, Tannehill's completion rate was up last season his interceptions (9) wasn't terrible. So you bring in a Rookie who is going to be buried on that field because you don't address what make a team strong which is protecting any QB with a great O-line.

Foles has a better skill set than Tannehill, is a true quarterback and less athlete/quarterback. I would gladly have him on my team, he is a proven guy that can take your team to a Super Bowl and win. He’s also a high character guy and someone you don’t mind rooting for. He isn’t a long term solution but no one is in this league. He will probably play more years than Kyler Murray, who will likely get pummeled out of the league in a couple of years. So who would you rather have if you will be looking for another one in three years anyway? Foles isn’t so bad.

I like Foles, but I don't think he makes a lot of sense for a rebuild. Here’s what I don’t understand.

Some variation of these two comments seems to be coming out of a lot of people’s mouths:

Regarding Tannehill: “I don’t want a QB who needs a great team around him in order for him to be successful. I don’t want a system QB, I want a QB who’s going to get it done when that system breaks down!”

And then they turn around and say: “Let’s go get Nick Foles!”

giphy.gif

I like Foles, but I don't think he makes a lot of sense for a rebuild. Here’s what I don’t understand.

Some variation of these two comments seems to be coming out of a lot of people’s mouths:

Regarding Tannehill: “I don’t want a QB who needs a great team around him in order for him to be successful. I don’t want a system QB, I want a QB who’s going to get it done when that system breaks down!”

giphy.gif

One is a super bowl mvp. The other is a guy who has never led his team to the playoffs and as a 23 year old college qb led the number 8 ranked college team to a 7-6 record.

There in no real comparison between the two.

giphy.gif
Nick foles is a very confusing player. Someone listed all of his accomplishments in the NFL and then asked on twitter if people would want him to be their starting QB. Most people said no believe it or not. I just don't believe the guy can get it done for 16+ games. He is a Matt Moore on steroids. It's a good thing, just not a starting QB thing

Matt Moore on steroids could probably never be a super bowl MVP. Stop knocking the guy, he achieved the pinnacle of his sport and position. He's good. Good luck getting someone better, every team in the league is trying.

But this draft is not 1983. Unless you think there's a hidden gem, the most logical thing to do is accumulate picks for the next year and maximize your young talent brought in through the draft.

Back
Top Bottom