2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas

Sorry I misspoke about the Rams. They've been in 11-personnel 95% of the time (including 266 rush attempts), and have 24 run plays in heavier packages. Obviously that doesn't change the point I was making, but I tend to be thorough and detail-oriented so when I make even a slight tabulation error, I correct it.

You have to distinguish between "formation" and "personnel". Personnel means literally which players are on the field. How many RBs? How many TEs? How many WRs and OLs? That's personnel. You can have 5 Wide Receivers on the field and line up in a FORMATION that looks like an I-Formation or a 2-TE Formation. Formation is just about where people line up.

Is there a trend toward heavier personnel?

Not really. Last year the league as a whole was in 11-personnel (again this is 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) about 52% of the time. This year that's jumped to 64%.

Do you have any data on running plays/passing plays out of the 11-personnel within the league by chance and if there's any indicators?

That’s certainly true and a lot can change over a season. I might have tunnel vision on this, but I’m tired of half measures. Taking a QB adjust because he’s a QB leaves you with Blake Bortles and Blaine Gabbert. We need to draft the right QB, not just a QB.

I'm with you there. No more half measures. They need to make a bold move and get THE guy, not a JAG (just a guy). If they believe that guy is available in the upcoming draft, then so be it but they better be right.

I'm with you there. No more half measures. They need to make a bold move and get THE guy, not a JAG (just a guy). If they believe that guy is available in the upcoming draft, then so be it but they better be right.
Healthy Tannehill is much better than a JAG, so acquiring a JAG would be a setback for us (in my opinion).

I don’t think they have ever taken half measures. They drafted Tannehill RD 1. They haven’t done anything at QB position since.
What “half” measures?

Yes can say wrong measures or no measures lol. You can’t draft a guy Rd1 you don’t believe in - this doesn’t make any sense.
You may grab Rd 3-4 and speculate but that’s different story.

id consider trace mcsorely in the 4th round...maybe the 3rd, his size will have him overlooked

Hes about the same size as guys like drew brees, baker mayfield and russell wilson. He doesnt have the strongest arm ever but he moves the ball down the field. He can scramble and move the chains with his feet when he has to. He scores TDs. Hes a winner. He is a good college qb.

Will it translate to the nfl? idk i cant say but i know the guy gives it his all and does whatever he needs to win.

Im tired of our analytics guys looking at measureables that dont translate for us on the field. I want guys who play at a high level on a regular basis and mcsorely has done that at penn state. He along with saquan barkley brought penn state back to relevance and mcsorely has broken almost every psu passing record.

even if tannehill starts id at least rather have a guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder with a do whatever-it-takes-to-win mentality like mcsorely behind him than have osweiler or some other career backup behind him who really offers no upside.

our 3rd and 4th rounders suck usually so id take a chance on mcsorely.

then if we suck again like usual we can draft a qb high the following year and him and mcsorely, two young qbs, can battle it out.

No way no how is Seattle letting Russell go.

Oakland isn't likely to let Carr go without receiving a 1st round +

Bridgewater is the option I'm most interested in.

If Hebert or Grier are on the board when Miami is on the clock I won't complain if they draft one of them.

Tannehill was an Ireland mistake to begin with and definitely past time to move on from him.

The problem with 2020 is unless Miami has one of the bottom two records they aren't likely to get Tua or Fromm. Either one of those two could be what lifts this franchise back to its rightful place!

Teams don't tank but as a fan of Miami for 46 years it would be the first time I would be cool with it.

Bridgewater is the option that intrigues me as well. I'm not buying any of the other options presented (aside from Wilson) as a decided upgrade, but Bridgewater sure as heck seemed like he was coming on before he had that injury. As much as I will say that Tannehill has had a **** deal in Miami most of his time here, Bridgewater's had one as well. I was really surprised when the Jets got rid of him.

That, plus the thought that he probably won't command all that high of a salary? I'd give it a shot. If the plan is to cut Tannehill, sign Bridgewater for $5mm or so, and put the $8mm (26-13-5) saved toward the OL/LB positions? I'm in. Worst case? The Fins suck, are not committed to a QB beyond 2019, and life begins anew.

Back
Top Bottom