2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas

Also, what are people's thoughts on Easton Stick?

I like his athleticism - mobile quarterback with quick feet. Plays with a sense of urgency. Thinks fast. Processes fast. Wins.

Looks like the type of quarterback that could function should lo and behold - a backup offensive lineman have to enter the game. Which is a step in the right direction for a team like Miami in my opinion.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Milton at UCF? Smaller and not sure he would enter in '19, but he looks sharp and his defensive reads are very good.

What do you guys think about Milton at UCF? Smaller and not sure he would enter in '19, but he looks sharp and his defensive reads are very good.

I like the kid alot, but not the answer.

If we can steal him on day 3 I'd be ALL over him though.

You never know.

Btw, not sure if you know, but he was friends with Tua in Hawaii. I think they are buds. Sort of a competition thing going on between the two, with Tua always ending on top.

I’m a big fan at this point in my own personal process..

I like his athleticism - mobile quarterback with quick feet. Plays with a sense of urgency. Thinks fast. Processes fast. Wins.

Looks like the type of quarterback that could function should lo and behold - a backup offensive lineman have to enter the game. Which is a step in the right direction for a team like Miami in my opinion.

I lol'd.

I would look at Mischew from Washington State if he is around in round 3. Hes confident, looks like he gets it, leader

Not trying to be a dick but It's Minshew BTW. I've stated my love for the man in plenty of places on this forum, I'm very much on his train as I switched from the Grier one because CK crushed my dreams there :p

This kid (and that's not really a great description for him) is a winner, he's electric to watch, the football intelligence is off the charts, and he's super clean, he was set to join up with Alabama and coach until opting to graduate transfer to Wash State and starting, Minshew mania is a real thing out there and honestly I would have no problem in us using any of our picks for him. The knocks seem to be arm strength and he's been playing in a air raid system (will it translate).

He's a Heisman contender, Tua probably has it locked up already but this kid will push him 3872yds 29tds 7ints to date, not too shabby :)

Some other QB stats this year for comparison:

Tua is 2525, 28, 2
Grier is 2961, 31, 8
Lawerence 1844, 19, 4
Lock 2647, 21, 8
Herbert 2621, 25, 6
Thorson 2335, 12, 12
Anderson 1039, 10, 1
Haskins 3280, 33, 6
Finley 2864,17,7

Obviously Lawerence who' s a FR and Tua who's a SO, won't be in this year's draft, but the others could all be there, I've said it before but I think the 2019 QB draft is getting a lot stick for not being very good but I don't think personally it's completely devoid of talent, especially if Haskins and Herbert declare.

Here are some of my thoughts on Easton Stick. Read the thread.

I don't talk much about his weaknesses there. But the ones that I saw are thus:

- Doesn't like middle pressure. Seems really adept dealing with outside pressure, but clearly doesn't like middle pressure.
- Turfs some of his throws on comebacks and square-ins, between the numbers. I can speculate on why, but it would just be speculation.
- His deep ball drives me nuts. It's a technique thing as he's got no shortage of arm. He goes for a LOT of air, and it ends up coming back to bite him.
- He's greedy. Can see him at times pull ball down while staring at an open guy underneath, wants to make something happen deeper, depending on situation.
- His anticipation is up and down. Sometimes good, sometimes not great.
- Some very close misses at times on big plays where he scrambles around after eluding a sack. Bottom line, like NBA, it's a make or miss league. Close doesn't cut it.
- Listed at 6'2" & 221 lbs but he definitely is not that heavy. His head trainer at NDSU tells me he aims for 205 lbs.

And some of the positives...

- Big arm. Capable of 55 mph velocity on 35 yard throws, which is incredible. Quick release
- Very fast, agile, elusive. Good ball carrier. Natural athlete.
- Uncanny sense for pressure on the edges, ability to step up and make edge rushers miss.
- Excellent feet in general. Very quick, very active, very bouncy, great knee bend (no locking of that front leg!). Fast feet belie a fast mind.
- Actual quote to me from his NDSU head trainer: "Flacco's arm, Marino's release, Slash's legs".
- Proven capability making the reads on RPOs.
- Excellent feet and execution from UNDER CENTER.
- Gets his head around off play-action, locates the defense quickly & accurately, pulls trigger immediately with good throw selection.
- Uses his eyes to look off the safety. Has taken some pretty good safeties out of the play that way.
- Generally pretty accurate with the football. Varies his throws pretty well according to what's needed.
- Leader. 3-time captain (first sophomore captain in more than a decade).
- Dean's List every semester. Took him 3 years to graduate. Already on his Masters. Academic All-Conference every year.
- Easton Stick is 44-3 as the QB at NDSU (incredible). In 2016 as a sophomore, he beat Iowa.
- Wentz had gone 4-2 in 2015, got hurt, Stick took over as a FRESHMAN, went 8-0, got them to the FCS Championship Game.
- Stick won his own FCS Championship in 2017, and is working on another in 2018 (they're 10-0).

Last edited:
I'd take one final chance on Tannehill. None of the other options are better believe it or not.

I expect 16 games played. 30+ touchdowns. Under 10ints and 4000+ yards.
Anything less than that, I'm ready to move on.

- Doesn't like middle pressure. Seems really adept dealing with outside pressure, but clearly doesn't like middle pressure.
- Turfs some of his throws on comebacks and square-ins, between the numbers. I can speculate on why, but it would just be speculation.
- His deep ball drives me nuts. It's a technique thing as he's got no shortage of arm. He goes for a LOT of air, and it ends up coming back to bite him.
- He's greedy. Can see him at times pull ball down while staring at an open guy underneath, wants to make something happen deeper, depending on situation.
- Some very close misses at times on big plays where he scrambles around after eluding a sack. Bottom line, like NBA, it's a make or miss league. Close doesn't cut it.
- Listed at 6'2" & 221 lbs but he definitely is not that heavy. His head trainer at NDSU tells me he aims for 205 lbs.

- Big arm. Capable of 55 mph velocity on 35 yard throws, which is incredible. Quick release
- Uncanny sense for pressure on the edges, ability to step up and make edge rushers miss.
- Excellent feet in general. Very quick, very active, very bouncy, great knee bend (no locking of that front leg!). Fast feet belie a fast mind.
- Actual quote to me from his NDSU head trainer: "Flacco's arm, Marino's release, Slash's legs".
- Gets his head around off play-action, locates the defense quickly & accurately, pulls trigger immediately with good throw selection.
- Uses his eyes to look off the safety. Has taken some pretty good safeties out of the play that way.
- Generally pretty accurate with the football. Varies his throws pretty well according to what's needed.
- Dean's List every semester. Took him 3 years to graduate. Already on his Masters. Academic All-Conference every year.
- Easton Stick is 44-3 as the QB at NDSU (incredible). In 2016 as a sophomore, he beat Iowa.
- Wentz had gone 4-2 in 2015, got hurt, Stick took over as a FRESHMAN, went 8-0, got them to the FCS Championship Game.
- Stick won his own FCS Championship in 2017, and is working on another in 2018 (they're 10-0).

You just got me excited about a kid I completely overlooked!!

He probably should not enter in 2019, size and weight do not work in his favor. I know we’re going to get the Brees and Wilson could be comparisons but I think it works against him. He could get really pounded on in the NFL.

the big question will be can Gase develop young qb.. I don't want Adams pick our qb for future. he is not good at pick qb at all.

He probably should not enter in 2019, size and weight do not work in his favor. I know we’re going to get the Brees and Wilson could be comparisons but I think it works against him. He could get really pounded on in the NFL.
I think that’s valid and something that I know I will be looking closely at in the offseason during his process before I get to excited..He’s a smart player so avoiding contact takes some smarts..

One other thing when it comes to him going back to school..for what though ya know? He’s accomplished everything you can in college relative to his schools ceiling in that grand scheme..Why not enter and start to get that good nfl coaching..

thanks CK now ive got a chub.

Back
Top Bottom