2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas

Dolphins need to draft a qb this year. I dont care if its a weak qb draft or not. There are guys and Miami desperately needs one since THill will be back for at least another season.

His contract is automatically void on March 3rd

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

He's a free agent
Only voids if neither party is interested. If they let it expire the Saints will be retro-active responsible for the cap hit of his 2018 money. That could put the Saints into cap trouble and in violation of the cap rules. Not gonna happen. They sign Bridgewater to a long term deal before that or execute the last two years. He is not and will not be an FA.

This should be about what can we do with the money saved on TaMEHill. Draft a QB the next two years, bring someone Cheap like Bridgeweater or Fitzpatrick and while doing that use the money to improve the OL and the DL. My ideal scenario would be to cut TaMEHhill, fire Gase and bring Harbaugh and let him choose his coaching staff. Improving on a bottom 10th QB "when healthy" and a "offensive gurú" that suxz this hard should be very achievable.

Something interesting to pay attention to at the end of the season is Lamar Jackson. It looks like he's going to be starting for Baltimore here soon with Flacco not producing and also ailing at the moment. If he lights the NFL on fire I think Ross is going to be livid.

I actually think the pendulum is swinging to NFL teams that can run the ball out of I-formation and Double TEs. For years teams have built their defenses to play against passing offenses (i.e. smaller linebackers and pass rush intensive D-linemen). I don't think it's coincidence Todd Gurley looks absolutely unstoppable and all of sudden Adrian Peterson looks 5 years younger. The QB may not matter as much as having a stud RB that is difficult to bring down along with a forged offensive line.

With that said, I cannot sit through another year of Tannehill.

We should absolutely try to retain Tannehill by restructuring his contract to a much more team friendly number, but if he can't handle that he needs to walk.

An ideal situation going into next year would have us drafting a QB this year (Drew Lock - Please God )and signing a veteran QB to compete with Tannehill (Someone like RGIII, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Sam Bradford, or someone who is going to push RT17 and that rookie every day. We need quality depth at the QB position and it starts in that fashion continuously until we can find success.

I hate Ryan Tannehill continuing to hold up this team at QB but we need to be smart about moving on.

Something interesting to pay attention to at the end of the season is Lamar Jackson. It looks like he's going to be starting for Baltimore here soon with Flacco not producing and also ailing at the moment. If he lights the NFL on fire I think Ross is going to be livid.

So the experts on this board who said Lamar Jackson is not an NFL QB were mistaken? Blasphemous I say.

But I’d rather have Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater or any mediocre 2019 rookie over Flacco.

Please...NO Flacco

Has this franchise learned nothing over the last 2 decades of trying retreads?

I actually think the pendulum is swinging to NFL teams that can run the ball out of I-formation and Double TEs. For years teams have built their defenses to play against passing offenses (i.e. smaller linebackers and pass rush intensive D-linemen). I don't think it's coincidence Todd Gurley looks absolutely unstoppable and all of sudden Adrian Peterson looks 5 years younger. The QB may not matter as much as having a stud RB that is difficult to bring down along with a forged offensive line.

With that said, I cannot sit through another year of Tannehill.

I'm not trying to discredit your theory, because I think your thoughts on this are interesting and especially your thoughts on keeping an eye on Lamar Jackson as sort of a predictor of Steve Ross's rage...but Todd Gurley does not run out of the I-Formation or 2-TE.

The Rams are the most 11-personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) oriented team in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. They use it an unbelievable 98% of the snaps. They literally have not run the football a single time in any personnel grouping other than 11-personnel.

The Rams are the most 11-personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) oriented team in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. They use it an unbelievable 98% of the snaps. They literally have not run the football a single time in any personnel grouping other than 11-personnel.

They were showing this the other day on NFL Playbook. They said they run 4 plays that essentially look the same out of 11
personnel. Very hard to defend because their is no key to read and they all look the same.

Draft Tyree Jackson University of Buffalo QB , and let tannehill try one more year. While they develop the Rookie

Only voids if neither party is interested. If they let it expire the Saints will be retro-active responsible for the cap hit of his 2018 money. That could put the Saints into cap trouble and in violation of the cap rules. Not gonna happen. They sign Bridgewater to a long term deal before that or execute the last two years. He is not and will not be an FA.

The contract automatically voids on March 3rd, 2019.

I don't know if you're playing with semantics here by saying it only voids "if neither party is interested", but the simple fact is that if nothing happens between now and March 3rd, then Teddy Bridgewater is a free agent.

Even if we are talking about semantics, your language sort of suggests that either side could prevent the contract from voiding, that both sides would have to be disinterested in order for it to void. That's not true either. A contract extension doesn't happen if one side is unwilling to sign the contract.

Could the Saints sign Teddy Bridgewater to a long term contract? Absolutely. But they have no more shot of doing so than any other team with an expiring free agent. You have to pay attention to the dates. His contract voids on March 3rd. The last day for teams to place the franchise tag on their players is March 5th. The 'legal tampering' period begins on March 11th.

So there is virtually no difference between Teddy Bridgewater's current contract status, and that of an expiring free agent. He will be a free agent in 2019.

You don't have to take my word for it of course. The Saints GM himself has said the same:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...ts-open-to-Teddy-Bridgewater-trade-123747236/

“Teddy could certainly be that guy. He’s going to be a free agent after this year, so we’ll see what opportunities come about for him. We wanted to have first hand experience with him, have a capable backup, and at the same time, have him to get to know our organization, or program, our coaches. And we’ll just see what happens.”

LOL

Fitzpatrick is a good idea if you want to ensure a top 10 pick in 2020. Actually, maybe not a bad idea.

Let me know the next time a Dolphins QB would put up anywhere close to the numbers he has in several games this year.

Back
Top Bottom