2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas

I’ve come to the conclusion that I no longer want any part of a FA QB unless it’s an absolute bargain. I’d rather suck for as long as it takes to get that rookie franchise QB on that tasty ROOKIE contract. Nothing else will do.

I am looking at Stidham, QB from Auburn and Thorsen, QB from Northwestern.

They look to be late 1st round or early 2nd round picks, thus may be available to us in the draft. We need to give them at least 2 years and more probably three years to develop.

This means we need Tannehill back and playing well, at least thru 2020. I think either of the two QB's I mentioned would click with Coach Gase and not be at odds with Tannehill. I'm looking forward to a good draft and exceptional results.

Of course if we make it into the playoffs and beyond, I'll be even happier. I'd love to see all the "hamsters" on this forum complain about our getting there. The thought of it makes me smile.

Not gonna find a clear-cut solution at the QB position in this year's draft. Plain and simple.

What you can do is look for what I like to call a "backup with potential" type QB. Which is basically a guy that you can develop into a solid starter within your system, or at the very least a good backup for you for many years to come.

That way, you can spend your top resources in the draft on solidifying your defense and other areas of need. Instead of reaching for a QB that may or may not pan out.

You get your backup with potential in someone like Clayton Thorson, Gardner Minshew or Daniel Jones, and hope that Gase can work his magic and turn them into serviceable starters at best, solid backups at worst. Then look for that elite potential QB in the 2020 draft, if you must.

I am looking at Stidham, QB from Auburn and Thorsen, QB from Northwestern.

They look to be late 1st round or early 2nd round picks, thus may be available to us in the draft. We need to give them at least 2 years and more probably three years to develop.

This means we need Tannehill back and playing well, at least thru 2020. I think either of the two QB's I mentioned would click with Coach Gase and not be at odds with Tannehill. I'm looking forward to a good draft and exceptional results.

Of course if we make it into the playoffs and beyond, I'll be even happier. I'd love to see all the "hamsters" on this forum complain about our getting there. The thought of it makes me smile.

Jarrett Stidham has an NFL arm but Clayton Thorson's would tend to cluster where some of the weakest arms among NFL starters are, in terms of velocity. Just an FYI.

I don't really like either player for the pros. TedSlimmJr just said this and I know I've made the same observation (most recently on the podcast a week ago), this class is full of guys who EITHER throw an NFL ball OR are good, high-performing quarterbacks...but it doesn't have very much of guys who do BOTH.

And the guys who do give you both (Easton Stick and Drew Anderson)...it's hard to trust it because of level of competition issues.

The juniors could step in and make the class better. I'm a buyer on Justin Herbert. I've softened on Dwayne Haskins a little bit, but he's still up there. I remain intrigued with Steven Montez and Tyree Jackson.

The last time I was high on Jarrett Stidham was when he transferred, but his time at Auburn has really turned me off to him. I am not as high on Daniel Jones as many are. I'm not really in McKenzie Milton's cult draft following even though I love watching him play in college.

Want to do some more work on K.J. Costello and Nathan Stanley.

And if I heard that he were thinking of giving up baseball, I'd probably spend the next WEEK digging into every single throw of Kyler Murray's. I adore what he does out there.

Jarrett Stidham has an NFL arm but Clayton Thorson's would tend to cluster where some of the weakest arms among NFL starters are, in terms of velocity. Just an FYI.

I don't really like either player for the pros. TedSlimmJr just said this and I know I've made the same observation (most recently on the podcast a week ago), this class is full of guys who EITHER throw an NFL ball OR are good, high-performing quarterbacks...but it doesn't have very much of guys who do BOTH.

And the guys who do give you both (Easton Stick and Drew Anderson)...it's hard to trust it because of level of competition issues.

The juniors could step in and make the class better. I'm a buyer on Justin Herbert. I've softened on Dwayne Haskins a little bit, but he's still up there. I remain intrigued with Steven Montez and Tyree Jackson.

The last time I was high on Jarrett Stidham was when he transferred, but his time at Auburn has really turned me off to him. I am not as high on Daniel Jones as many are. I'm not really in McKenzie Milton's cult draft following even though I love watching him play in college.

Want to do some more work on K.J. Costello and Nathan Stanley.

And if I heard that he were thinking of giving up baseball, I'd probably spend the next WEEK digging into every single throw of Kyler Murray's. I adore what he does out there.

I'm looking for a potential development QB.

The risk is certainly there for these two guys, but there are seldom clear cut winners. It may take several drafts or stabs at free agency to get someone. If either of these guys becomes a solid backup, we are ahead of the game. If we don't take some reasonable chances we may never get anyone, so I would like to see us try for a high to high middle draft pick to get used on a QB, UNLESS there is a much higher rated BPA available in an area of need. Then we need to drop our QB selection to a mid center draft pick or free agent. In any case we need to start drafting now, knowing it may be 4 or more years before we get a good performer. In the meantime we can still beef up our back up QB position and hope one eventually pans out as a solid QB.

The most Tannehill-like kid out there (and I think they will want a guy with a similar skill set and style) appears to me to be Easton Stick.

Someone will cash in with Lock, Grier or Stidham. Not sure it would be us. Drawbacks are Lock's build, Grier's demeanor and Stidham's inconsistency.

The most Tannehill-like kid out there (and I think they will want a guy with a similar skill set and style) appears to me to be Easton Stick.

Someone will cash in with Lock, Grier or Stidham. Not sure it would be us. Drawbacks are Lock's build, Grier's demeanor and Stidham's inconsistency.

My feeling is that if a QB is not accurate by the end of their college career, they are not going to get better. Bad attitudes seldom improve until the reality of a trade hits the player in the face. By then we have wasted out time, money and a draft pick. On the other hand, inconsistency can be reduced & even eliminated with practice, training and experience. Considering that higher pick QB draftees are often a 50-50 proposition, I would be willing to take a shot with Stidham; assuming he has a high football IQ and an exceptional work ethic.

After making my "all knowing" selection I just want to say that I have a lot of faith in the current managements ability to draft better then many other NFL teams and will probably be happy with any QB they pick as long as he shows improvement every year.

I’m warming up to the idea of Bridgewater and Haskins in Miami next year although neither are as athletic as I’d prefer.

What I want to see in 2019:
Fales, Falk, mid to late rd qb draft pick.

What will probably happen:
Restructured T-hill contract, Fales or some other handicapped backup, and Falk. Probably pickup some late rd prospect to put on the PS.

What I want to see in 2019:
Fales, Falk, mid to late rd qb draft pick.

What will probably happen:
Restructured T-hill contract, Fales or some other handicapped backup, and Falk. Probably pickup some late rd prospect to put on the PS.

Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer, Jimmy Clausen, Josh McCown, Kyle Orton, or Tim Tebow?

I didnt realize that Fales came out of the Bears system....... lol

If we're talking about drawbacks on Will Grier I think you gotta start with the arm strength. I think I've only even seen two throws from him that would fit on a curve of the lower level arms among NFL starters. The rest are decidedly below the curve. Stidham doesn't handle pressure well, IMO.

With Drew Lock it's all between the ears. He's got to see the field better and make quicker, better decisions. That's what it is. I think his sluggish feet probably belie a sluggish mind. His feet are getting more active and disciplined, and his mind is coming along with it, but where will it top out?

I’m warming up to the idea of Bridgewater and Haskins in Miami next year although neither are as athletic as I’d prefer.

And neither have the arm talent you'd ultimately prefer. But they're both close enough on that to be let into the club. I would feel the most optimistic about Bridgewater, in that scenario.

Arm strength aside, my primary nit with Haskins is his feet. The more I've watched, and that includes watching entire games, every play, at one-quarter speed (talk about sticking your head up a bull's ass to get a good look at a steak), it's the feet that bother me.

When I watch Easton Stick at one-quarter speed I just appreciate him more. He's so light on his feet, keeps those knees bent, he's bouncy, and his feet tie into what he's seeing. If I were to isolate just the man's play-action/under-center reel (every play), you'd see why he could be such a great pro prospect.

Back
Top Bottom