2020 Quarterback Rankings | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Quarterback Rankings

I'm late to the party, but will add my 2c

Tua, for me, is the best player in the draft.

I find it amazing how many people are over thinking this. Yes, the durability is a concern. But otherwise, he is a generational QB prospect. The first thing that jumps out to me is how calm and smooth he is in the pocket. His eyes are always down field (don't believe anyone who says this kid is not tough), he processes things like an NFL vet, but it's the little things that really set him apart, like how he leads his receivers to spots where only they are catching the ball. Over and over again. His football IQ is off the charts; he rarely makes bad decisions, and then there's the pinpoint accuracy. I'm usually reluctant to give pro comparisons but I see so much of Russ Wilson when I watch Tua.

To me, this is the Drew Brees situation repeating itself after 15 years. 15 years of mediocrity. Surely we're not dumb enough to make the same mistake again. That is the level of blunder I think we're making if we come out of Thursday night without Tua.

I can’t quite remember any prospect like Joe Burrow. He was a day three guy coming into 2019, and then he exploded with the greatest college football season we’ve ever seen.

What happened there is open for debate. Having a full year on campus must've helped. Joe Brady, with his many WR sets, showing up from the Saints definitely did (one of Burrow's greatest assets is his field vision, so getting more guys running routes seems a fairly obvious thing to do). Jamar Chase emerging as the best receiver college has seen in maybe ten years also didn't hurt.

I've gone over these factors, but ultimately you have to trust what you see. Burrow flat out annihilated the best Ds in the country. His pocket presence, and overall feel for pressure, is insane. He's so poised and extremely accurate to every level. Great football brain. Intangibles and swagger. The knock is arm strength, sometimes balls hang up on his receivers outside the numbers.

Jake Fromm is my #3 QB. I'll be the first to admit he didn't play well down the stretch last year. His accuracy – usually a strength – wavered. Like Burrow, the knock is his physical skill set. Both have just average arm strength. But I don't think Jake gets enough credit for the things he does well. He's a highly intelligent guy who is phenomenal working between the hashes. He’s meticulous at engineering scoring drives; more than happy to get 10 yards, 10 times to score. You don’t see many true freshmen adjusting protections in the SEC I'll tell ya that. He's good against the blitz because he sees it. Would love to see him with the Saints; I'm worried the Pats will like him.

Love & Herbert are similar. Make no mistake, you are drafting these guys for their special physical traits, and hoping you have a staff that can coach the inconsistencies out of them. Logically, every young QB needs a good situation, but it's absolutely imperative for these two.

My biggest fear with both is the ball placement. They need to clean up their footwork, but I think that only helps to a certain extent. Both guys struggle throwing with anticipation, which in the NFL is a death sentence sooner or later. While I also found Love to be indecisive (he's got a tendency to hang onto his progressions), I'd take him over Herbert purely for his playmaking instinct. Yeah, it leads him to putting the ball in harms way more often, but at least he improvises whereas Herbert tends to panic under pressure. I'm also convinced Herbert has no concept of touch. Not everything needs to be thrown 100 miles an hour dude!

I'm late to the party, but will add my 2c

Tua, for me, is the best player in the draft.

I find it amazing how many people are over thinking this. Yes, the durability is a concern. But otherwise, he is a generational QB prospect. The first thing that jumps out to me is how calm and smooth he is in the pocket. His eyes are always down field (don't believe anyone who says this kid is not tough), he processes things like an NFL vet, but it's the little things that really set him apart, like how he leads his receivers to spots where only they are catching the ball. Over and over again. His football IQ is off the charts; he rarely makes bad decisions, and then there's the pinpoint accuracy. I'm usually reluctant to give pro comparisons but I see so much of Russ Wilson when I watch Tua.

To me, this is the Drew Brees situation repeating itself after 15 years. 15 years of mediocrity. Surely we're not dumb enough to make the same mistake again. That is the level of blunder I think we're making if we come out of Thursday night without Tua.

I can’t quite remember any prospect like Joe Burrow. He was a day three guy coming into 2019, and then he exploded with the greatest college football season we’ve ever seen.

What happened there is open for debate. Having a full year on campus must've helped. Joe Brady, with his many WR sets, showing up from the Saints definitely did (one of Burrow's greatest assets is his field vision, so getting more guys running routes seems a fairly obvious thing to do). Jamar Chase emerging as the best receiver college has seen in maybe ten years also didn't hurt.

I've gone over these factors, but ultimately you have to trust what you see. Burrow flat out annihilated the best Ds in the country. His pocket presence, and overall feel for pressure, is insane. He's so poised and extremely accurate to every level. Great football brain. Intangibles and swagger. The knock is arm strength, sometimes balls hang up on his receivers outside the numbers.

Jake Fromm is my #3 QB. I'll be the first to admit he didn't play well down the stretch last year. His accuracy – usually a strength – wavered. Like Burrow, the knock is his physical skill set. Both have just average arm strength. But I don't think Jake gets enough credit for the things he does well. He's a highly intelligent guy who is phenomenal working between the hashes. He’s meticulous at engineering scoring drives; more than happy to get 10 yards, 10 times to score. You don’t see many true freshmen adjusting protections in the SEC I'll tell ya that. He's good against the blitz because he sees it. Would love to see him with the Saints; I'm worried the Pats will like him.

Love & Herbert are similar. Make no mistake, you are drafting these guys for their special physical traits, and hoping you have a staff that can coach the inconsistencies out of them. Logically, every young QB needs a good situation, but it's absolutely imperative for these two.

My biggest fear with both is the ball placement. They need to clean up their footwork, but I think that only helps to a certain extent. Both guys struggle throwing with anticipation, which in the NFL is a death sentence sooner or later. While I also found Love to be indecisive (he's got a tendency to hang onto his progressions), I'd take him over Herbert purely for his playmaking instinct. Yeah, it leads him to putting the ball in harms way more often, but at least he improvises whereas Herbert tends to panic under pressure. I'm also convinced Herbert has no concept of touch. Not everything needs to be thrown 100 miles an hour dude!

Excellent post. I was agreeing with virtually everything except I'm not as high on Fromm.

Bypassing Tua for Herbert would be the most Dolphins thing to do, and especially if the Patriots somehow ended up with either Tua or Love. It would be such a Dolphins thing to do it would be impossible not to laugh. All the extra draft capital meant nothing. The rival gained the big picture jump on us again merely by one ultra sharp fearless move while we brainstormed to play scared and safe.

I realize it doesn't bother me as much because I'm old enough to have experienced the early '70s. In that era the Miami general managers would have thrown out the thinking and taken Tua as soon as able.

Heard a pretty mind blowing stat re Herbert the other day. Almost 25% of his throws in 2019 were at or behind the LOS (the exact number was 23 point something I think). Anyone who has watched him will know there's a lot of screens but that number is quite staggering to me. I'd be scared to death to draft him in the top 10.

1. Tua Tagovailoa* / Alabama / 6'0", 217

2. Jordan Love* / Utah St. / 6'4", 224

3. Joe Burrow / LSU / 6'3", 221

4. Justin Herbert / Oregon / 6'6", 236

5. James Morgan / FIU / 6'4", 229

6. Jake Fromm* / Georgia / 6'2", 219

7. Brian Lewerke / Michigan St. / 6'2", 213

8. J'Mar Smith / LA-Tech / 6'0", 220

9. Mike Glass III / E. Michigan / 6'0", 209

10. Jake Luton / Oregon St. / 6'6", 224

11. Jacob Eason* / Washington / 6'6", 231

12. Anthony Gordon / Washington St. / 6'2", 205

13. Jalen Hurts / Oklahoma / 6'1", 222

14. Steven Montez / Colorado / 6'4", 231

15. Khalil Tate / Arizona / 6'0", 217

16. Nate Stanley / Iowa / 6'4", 235

17. Kevin Davidson / Princeton / 6'4", 224

18. Shea Patterson / Michigan / 6'1", 212

19. Bryce Perkins / Virginia / 6'2", 210

20. Cole McDonald* / Hawaii / 6'3", 215

Boy this has not aged well.

Btw, how is Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson doing? Didn't you have Bama WRs ranked ahead of them both? You should be less bias and more objective if you want to play Mel Kiper III.

Btw, how is Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson doing? Didn't you have Bama WRs ranked ahead of them both? You should be less bias and more objective if you want to play Mel Kiper III.

Not cool man. Unless you’ve got your own rankings you should probably should just appreciate the effort. BTW, everyone gets a pass for missing on Herbert. I’ve never seen a player flash so little in college.

Joe Burrow had the greatest year in SEC history. I’d say he flashed plenty.

I like looking at these old posts. A gambler doesn't mind being wrong. I preferred Burrow above anyone but I had Tua way above Herbert, who I didn't trust at all. I thought he would be erratic and mentally weak. We did always emphasize here that the Oregon sideways offense made Herbert difficult to evaluate. He blew the opener against Auburn by failing to fully capitalize early then was shell shocked when Auburn rotated forward and wiped out the short cutesy stuff late. Herbert would have been a much easier pro projection if let's say he had been in the recent Whipple offense at Pittsburgh.

Since none of us were paid to be in the room or conduct interviews to make the final call between Tua/Herbert, we all get a hindsight pass...

On the west coast we saw a lot of Herbert. He looked good to me. I like a big body and a strong arm in the NFL. Herbert can hit windows with velocity that Tua has never shown. It's too bad Miami got it wrong.

Good to see Awsi back.

Since none of us were paid to be in the room or conduct interviews to make the final call between Tua/Herbert, we all get a hindsight pass...

On the west coast we saw a lot of Herbert. He looked good to me. I like a big body and a strong arm in the NFL. Herbert can hit windows with velocity that Tua has never shown. It's too bad Miami got it wrong.

Good to see Awsi back.

I watched almost every game Herbert played in college and that dude looked nothing like the Herbert in the NFL. But I’m not paid millions of dollars to make that evaluation.

I would be interested in hearing from @Pachyderm_Wave what he thinks is not translating to Tua’s NFL game. I also had him as the number #1 QB but it’s obvious he’s not living up to expectations to this point. How much of this is Tua’s game not translating and how much is personnel/coaching?

Maybe you’ve touched on this already, if so my bad.

I would be interested in hearing from @Pachyderm_Wave what he thinks is not translating to Tua’s NFL game. I also had him as the number #1 QB but it’s obvious he’s not living up to expectations to this point. How much of this is Tua’s game not translating and how much is personnel/coaching?

Maybe you’ve touched on this already, if so my bad.

Pretty clear to me he’s not the same player he was prior to November 16, 2019. That was the risk with Tua.

It’s amazing what he accomplished to come back from such a devastating hip injury. Nobody will ever understand what that took.

But I think he’s just lost a little too much to overcome, and he couldn’t afford to lose that much to begin with.

No matter the reason, everybody watching him knows what they’re seeing ain’t good enough. It’s just not.

The RPO offense is a schematic issue that I talked about in other threads. It starts in camp. I don’t like RPO in the NFL, but I love it everywhere else. The rules don’t allow for it in the NFL. Play action is a much better option in the NFL.

RPO offense is easy for poor coaches to teach and execute. Anytime a defense has a better defensive line than you have an offensive line - your offense is dead on arrival with RPO. We saw that with Tua vs Clemson in the national championship game. They had a dline loaded with 1st round picks and when all you can run is RPO, you lose. Same with dolphins vs Bills, Titans, etc.

Miami’s offense looks exactly like Alabama’s offense in 2019 under Mike Locksley. All he knew how to do was call RPO’s for Tua. There is no actual development taking place when that’s the case. It’s just surviving.

Miami’s offense has many issues - from predictable personnel packages, poor offensive blocking, amateur route concepts, lack of talent, lack of toughness, bad coaching, and a QB that just hasn’t been good enough.

Can you point me in advance to where in this thread you said the Dolphins should pick Herbert ahead of Tua? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom