2021 Draft will be the draft that dictates who will have jobs in Miami the next couple of years | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 Draft will be the draft that dictates who will have jobs in Miami the next couple of years

I was thinking about this just this morning. What if Tua doesn’t work out how we thought?
Right now we are in the perfect opportunity to trade back the number three pick for capital, just in case.

That being said, If they trade back and miss out on a top offensive threat, they’d only be setting him up in a bad situation for next season. With Miami’s group of skill position players, I think it’s important that they go offense

The entire WR unit, failed both Tua and Fitzpatrick. They dropped 18 passes on Tua and 14 more on Fitzpatrick, putting Miami as one of the worst in the league. I wonder how that would translate into wins if they catch 50% of those dropped passes. That has to change. The offensive line failed at opening holes, until they changed to a zone blocking scheme. I hope these young kids Jackson, Kindley and Hunt improve, because their final numbers suggest they were pedestrian. While there seems to be hope and optimism abound, there is also some concern. This is where Flores and his developmental skills are most important. He showed he could get players to improve and better themselves, lets hope he can get these young linemen playing more consistently.

IMO I am all in on a trade back if possible with the emphasis on the Oline, running back and reciever. We get those areas solved then we will certainly know what we have in Tua barring injury next year.
The trade back would provide ammo if needed for a QB in year 3.
I trust Flo to surprise us. I do expect a WR early but Sewell brings multiple solutions to the table even though Jackson is looking fine.

Whether fans like it or not, Flo decides what's best for the team. I have serious doubts he considers QB a high 'need.' That decision wouldn't be 'tough.' Those wanting a day 1 QB need to give that up.

I think most here like the 'trade down' option best. I don't know whether Flo/Grier would prefer getting all '21 picks in exchange or'21/'22. In either case , trading down and still getting a top prospects can't go wrong.

Just for fun, "All top 2 Qb Prospects?"
Most people are taking everything for what is worth right now. Highly likely the team may pass on a qb based on what we know now, but the front office cannot pass on opportunities if they feel they would benefit the team better.
QB is only on table if Lawrence is there at #3. Like, if a video is found of him smoking weed lol
lmao!
C'mon, that's so laughable to imagine, how could that happen to any draft prospect?

In hindsight its actually kind of laughable that Tunsil was a #1 overall potential guy before the video. He wasn't a bad player and all but he certainly wouldn't have been worth where he would have been drafted sans video.
I agree for the most part.
This decision becomes even more difficult if the jets pick Sewell, talk about what do we do now moment
The Jets right now are more likely to draft QB. But expect bad decisions from a horrible franchise.
Between Wilson n Fields? I would’ve liked to take Wilson but I think we would trade back and get a 1st round next year again and keep chipping away at building our roster.
I like the idea of gathering more picks. Being able to fill an offensive, and defensive role in the first round would be great. If we can grab a good corner or a linebacker in the first round that would be great. Then use the later rounds to pick gems.
I feel by the very nature of the draft, there will so much hype surrounding Fields that if the Jets somehow pass on him... Miami has another Tunsil level haul coming.

two future firsts and a current top 15 first. Someone will jump.
I have seen a situation of miami trading down since earlier in the year. That would be evident if we have enough faith in Tua.
If we can trade back sure.
Currently that is my forecast.
Great post.

I believe both Grier and Flores have a good plan. Last year was clearly about building the trenches. All three offensive linemen were hits, although an argument could be made that Hunt's best position is ultimately at guard. Davis played very well at DT/NT.

This draft/offseason needs to focus on skill positions on the offense, where Miami ranks near the bottom of the NFL.

As to Tua, you raise an excellent point. Miami failed, for the most part, to put talent around Tannehill or to put in an offense that best fit his skills. Tennessee found the right way to utilize his skill set.

Now, the Dolphins need to do that with Tua. The talent is there.
I can't say much for Tannehill, but he has a lot of great players in that offense. He wasn't a bad QB for us, but our front office has been mediocre for a lot of years. Wannestead ended up trading away our picks, and spending them incorrectly along with Chris Spielman. That led to an even crappier situation for later front offices that happen to make horrible choices too.
Then you trade down, there is a franchise QB to be picked, and a team is going to give a lot for it.
Now, the Jets, are they picking an OL when your QB in 3 years has not surpassed the 45.9 QBR? And this year was worse in football with 40.7.
If they believe Darnold is the QB for the Jets, then they should trade the pick, they are getting a lot for that pick. If they don't believe he is the QB for the future, then you have to take the QB in that spot.
If Fields has a GREAT game vs Alabama, ufffff, Fields at 2 is powerful bargain chip, imagine if that QB is still there at 3?
Like I said, the Jets are a horrible franchise. Expect their pick not to make sense. And even if it makes sense they won't be able to be a better team than the current teams in the AFC.
It would be smart for us to trade back. Keep plugging holes and next year with the massive draft picks we might have.
Again, that is my current forecast but what team will be willing to give up two first round picks. One this year, and another one next year.
He can meet with Jacksonville's staff for the first time, pull out a grinder, roll, and light up right in front of them all. He's still going #1

I do agree, even as one of Tua's biggest supporters/believers on here, that Sunshine Lawrence's availability would be a game changer. Impossible though.
The pot thing is getting old but I wouldn't want my best players stoned enough to not being able to play lol.
Miami isn't drafting a QB in the 1st round this draft.

Get over it.
Says who? You don't know that yet. More likely not, but you don't know if other teams are inquiring about Tua.

This decision becomes even more difficult if the jets pick Sewell, talk about what do we do now moment
That would put us in the ideal situation of trading down to teams desperate for a QB, and if for some reason a good trade cannot be accomplished I'd grab Smith over both QBs and have an immediate upgrade.

IMO I am all in on a trade back if possible with the emphasis on the Oline, running back and reciever. We get those areas solved then we will certainly know what we have in Tua barring injury next year.
The trade back would provide ammo if needed for a QB in year 3.
I trust Flo to surprise us. I do expect a WR early but Sewell brings multiple solutions to the table even though Jackson is looking fine.
Getting more picks would be a better plan. Our QB play hasn't been consistent. While we did get 10 wins, that doesn't entirely make us anywhere close to a complete team. Our QB play was very inconsistent, and while I was against seeing Tua in action, seeing him play for us should be an emphasis that should be highly evaluated coming into the draft.

I was thinking about this just this morning. What if Tua doesn’t work out how we thought?
Right now we are in the perfect opportunity to trade back the number three pick for capital, just in case.

That being said, If they trade back and miss out on a top offensive threat, they’d only be setting him up in a bad situation for next season. With Miami’s group of skill position players, I think it’s important that they go offense

If Tua doesn't workout, this front office will end up looking back at this draft had they had an opportunity to pick a qb that would fair better than Tua.

I think that makes the decision easier, as I don't think the Fins FO is looking for a day 1 QB this year. OT is not the biggest need, but depending on their grading, Sewell could be bpa. So if he's off the board, it makes that bpa vs need argument more clear. As many have said, best case is a team wants to trade up to 3 and offers good value to do so.

Most people are taking everything for what is worth right now. Highly likely the team may pass on a qb based on what we know now, but the front office cannot pass on opportunities if they feel they would benefit the team better.

lmao!

I agree for the most part.

The Jets right now are more likely to draft QB. But expect bad decisions from a horrible franchise.

I like the idea of gathering more picks. Being able to fill an offensive, and defensive role in the first round would be great. If we can grab a good corner or a linebacker in the first round that would be great. Then use the later rounds to pick gems.

I have seen a situation of miami trading down since earlier in the year. That would be evident if we have enough faith in Tua.

Currently that is my forecast.

I can't say much for Tannehill, but he has a lot of great players in that offense. He wasn't a bad QB for us, but our front office has been mediocre for a lot of years. Wannestead ended up trading away our picks, and spending them incorrectly along with Chris Spielman. That led to an even crappier situation for later front offices that happen to make horrible choices too.

Like I said, the Jets are a horrible franchise. Expect their pick not to make sense. And even if it makes sense they won't be able to be a better team than the current teams in the AFC.

Again, that is my current forecast but what team will be willing to give up two first round picks. One this year, and another one next year.

The pot thing is getting old but I wouldn't want my best players stoned enough to not being able to play lol.

Says who? You don't know that yet. More likely not, but you don't know if other teams are inquiring about Tua.
I know there are a lot of opinions about Tannehill. But, he sure has played well in Tennessee.

He actually looked great in Miami when Ajayi went off. I thought Gase might have had the right vision, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Bottom line, good coaches put their players in the best positions to succeed. Miami needs to do that with Tua.

They're probably not, but you're a little bit too sure of yourself.

He's really not. It's obvious as hell. Not sure what else you need - common sense, direct commentary and current atmosphere ALL point to Tua sticking around. NFL coaches and teams dont really care about the narrative from joe 6 pack aka overreactions. Tua had plenty of tape that is stellar and pretending otherwise is dishonest. Tons of bad tape too!

Miami isn't drafting a QB in the 1st round this draft.

Get over it.
Probably not but to outright reject it would be a mistake. I'm older than almost everyone here. That means I've had countless seasons when my favorite teams in various sports get stuck in the middle of the draft order year after year. It's such a helpless feeling. You are decent but not threatening. That's the status Miami faces if Tua does not fully pan out.

#3 is a rare opportunity. I'd have to be aggressive with it, one way or another.

Probably not but to outright reject it would be a mistake. I'm older than almost everyone here. That means I've had countless seasons when my favorite teams in various sports get stuck in the middle of the draft order year after year. It's such a helpless feeling. You are decent but not threatening. That's the status Miami faces if Tua does not fully pan out.

#3 is a rare opportunity. I'd have to be aggressive with it, one way or another.
Are you going to post more? We need more of your posts about football around here.

There are lot of key points to cover that must be considered at this point:

1. Can the front office make crucial decisions in this draft in order to take this franchise to another level
2. The importance of the number 3 overall pick
3. Tua's ultimate fate

The front office is being put in a tough situation. The Dolphins have a pretty solid history of not being able to land successful quarterback in the last 2 decades. While we have a
different front office, one cannot help to overlook that fact at all since results do matter in this league. We were able to draft a talented quarterback with Tua last year, but we also made the decision to start
him last season, and at the time I was against starting Tua for a lot of reasons Based on his performance the team is left with the task of further evaluating him, and also considering
if the best player in the draft at the number 3 overall pick would be too hard to pass by if it happens to be a Quarterback. It would be a tough pill to swallow if we happen to end up skipping on the current QB prospects,
then later on finding out Tua was not a good fit at all. At this point the team is left with the following choices.

a) All top 2 Qb Prospects are gone from the board, and Dolphins don't have to live up to the pressure of deciding to pick a QB that might be a better fit than Tua.
b) Dolphins have the option to trade their number 3 overall to a team that is willing to give up this years 1st round pick, and next years. This could potentially be a better long term decision filling offensive, and defensive holes.
c) Make the best use of both of their picks they have right now, and stick to a plan to further compliment the team as it stands right now.

I know many of you will argue that Tua is still new, and that he has to be given more time. There are many of you that don't have much faith in Tua after being relieved by Fitzpatrick. In a way it was good to start him this rookie season to see what he is made of, had we waited later to see the same thing then that would haven't been wise. I would like to be upfront, and say that both arguments
have solid points. I am more interested in what is best for the team personally, and so should the front office and fans in general. I would like Miami to not waste a pick on a QB, and work hard on Tua. But if there is an opportunity to drafta QB that might provide us with a toolset that fits our goals then I am for it. Last thing the front office wants to do is regret not picking a player while they were still on the board.

I'm not prepared to argue anything with you since your mind is already made up

Back
Top Bottom