2021 Draft will be the draft that dictates who will have jobs in Miami the next couple of years | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 Draft will be the draft that dictates who will have jobs in Miami the next couple of years

Probably not but to outright reject it would be a mistake. I'm older than almost everyone here. That means I've had countless seasons when my favorite teams in various sports get stuck in the middle of the draft order year after year. It's such a helpless feeling. You are decent but not threatening. That's the status Miami faces if Tua does not fully pan out.

#3 is a rare opportunity. I'd have to be aggressive with it, one way or another.
Agree, you do not draft a WR or off ball LB at #3. That is QB territory.

Jacksonville takes Lawrence, Sam Darnold has done nothing 3 yrs into the NFL. People get on Tua here and he has done more as a rookie with less weapons than Darnold has done in three yrs in NY. The Jets have to take a qb, Sam has been like 28th, 27th and the last ranked qb in the league . For them to select Sewell does not make sense either, they have Becton at LT. Guy is a stud and if Sewell becomes an equal stud. It means the two of them could only be together for 4yrs , because no team can afford to pay top money to 2 tackles (probably 26-30 million per).I mean they could be that dumb as they have done a similiar thing over last 10 yrs with d-line man. You have to think they take either Fields or Wilson,
We are up. Hopefully, Fields and Wilson have great combines . Trade back , Atlanta would probably love to have the third qb to fall to them. With so many predicted qbs moving around this offseason, many teams could want to move up. Staying in the top ten, we should be able to add a 1st next yr and 2nd maybe this yr. With our new 1st pick Parsons, he makes our defense special We can move him all around ,but qbs not only need to try and figure out what we are going to on defense , but they will also need to know where he is.
The rest is all offense there are so many wideouts . I love Smith but he seems overvalued right now,Waddle if healthy could be the best pick with our pick. I would also try to package the extra draft capitial we got from trading back from the 3rd pick to be able to get Pitts. Smythe, Geiski, and Pitts, teams usually have a hard time covering 1 tight end , imagine trying to these three

There are lot of key points to cover that must be considered at this point:

1. Can the front office make crucial decisions in this draft in order to take this franchise to another level
2. The importance of the number 3 overall pick
3. Tua's ultimate fate

The front office is being put in a tough situation. The Dolphins have a pretty solid history of not being able to land successful quarterback in the last 2 decades. While we have a
different front office, one cannot help to overlook that fact at all since results do matter in this league. We were able to draft a talented quarterback with Tua last year, but we also made the decision to start
him last season, and at the time I was against starting Tua for a lot of reasons Based on his performance the team is left with the task of further evaluating him, and also considering
if the best player in the draft at the number 3 overall pick would be too hard to pass by if it happens to be a Quarterback. It would be a tough pill to swallow if we happen to end up skipping on the current QB prospects,
then later on finding out Tua was not a good fit at all. At this point the team is left with the following choices.

a) All top 2 Qb Prospects are gone from the board, and Dolphins don't have to live up to the pressure of deciding to pick a QB that might be a better fit than Tua.
b) Dolphins have the option to trade their number 3 overall to a team that is willing to give up this years 1st round pick, and next years. This could potentially be a better long term decision filling offensive, and defensive holes.
c) Make the best use of both of their picks they have right now, and stick to a plan to further compliment the team as it stands right now.

I know many of you will argue that Tua is still new, and that he has to be given more time. There are many of you that don't have much faith in Tua after being relieved by Fitzpatrick. In a way it was good to start him this rookie season to see what he is made of, had we waited later to see the same thing then that would haven't been wise. I would like to be upfront, and say that both arguments
have solid points. I am more interested in what is best for the team personally, and so should the front office and fans in general. I would like Miami to not waste a pick on a QB, and work hard on Tua. But if there is an opportunity to drafta QB that might provide us with a toolset that fits our goals then I am for it. Last thing the front office wants to do is regret not picking a player while they were still on the board.
The best option without a doubt is to trade down UNLESS for some crazy reason TLaw was to fall to 3 OR if we get stuck at 3 and have no trade takers then we have to select Sewell bc the value at 3 is amazing.

Detroit at 7 Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9 are our best spots for a trade down. All of those are far enough down where we could ask for the 2022 #1. Would you take Detroitā€™s #7 #72 and 2022 #1? Bc I sure as hell would. I wouldnā€™t be able to send that deal into the NFL fast enough. Then weā€™re still virtually guaranteed to get 1 of the 3 premium WRs.

Like I said unless TLaw is there at #3 you might as well stick it out with Tua for next year and try to put the weapons around him and see if he progresses. Fields and Wilson are not going to make the difference next year although I do think Wilson will be a good/great but not elite level NFL QB.

Probably not but to outright reject it would be a mistake. I'm older than almost everyone here. That means I've had countless seasons when my favorite teams in various sports get stuck in the middle of the draft order year after year. It's such a helpless feeling. You are decent but not threatening. That's the status Miami faces if Tua does not fully pan out.

#3 is a rare opportunity. I'd have to be aggressive with it, one way or another.
You should also understand that not every player in the top 10 drafted ends up being a good player. With that said, Miami has blown most of their good picks when picking early. As much as I want to have faith in Tua, there might be a very strong possibility that this team might either do everything possible to be a contender or keep us in the middle of the rounds. If having a different qb ends up being the best approach the front office if they happen to be any good will recognize that instead of feeling they owe their previous pick any time. If that is the case then we would need to get compensation for the pick

This decision becomes even more difficult if the jets pick Sewell, talk about what do we do now moment
Not difficult for Grier and company. They said Tua is their starting QB. That is on the same day that not so fake news of Chan getting fired got out.

They are not pickind a qb with high round. Period. You can take it to the bank.

Most of you don't realize but we are going to workout draft prospects. If we are a smart team we will watch tape and figure out what player best fits us. If our data does indicate that drafting a qb improves our situation vastly then it will be a qb. Otherwise building smart is preferable if we are able to trade down and secure a first round pick from a team next year. While still keeping two picks in the first round. This will take smart management.

The best option without a doubt is to trade down UNLESS for some crazy reason TLaw was to fall to 3 OR if we get stuck at 3 and have no trade takers then we have to select Sewell bc the value at 3 is amazing.

Detroit at 7 Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9 are our best spots for a trade down. All of those are far enough down where we could ask for the 2022 #1. Would you take Detroitā€™s #7 #72 and 2022 #1? Bc I sure as hell would. I wouldnā€™t be able to send that deal into the NFL fast enough. Then weā€™re still virtually guaranteed to get 1 of the 3 premium WRs.

Like I said unless TLaw is there at #3 you might as well stick it out with Tua for next year and try to put the weapons around him and see if he progresses. Fields and Wilson are not going to make the difference next year although I do think Wilson will be a good/great but not elite level NFL QB.
Trading smart brings more talent in much needed positions. Our offense is lacking but from a QB perspective the front office has to believe Tua can have a break out season in 2021 2022.

I cannot disagree with your post and have been around awhile myself. Quarterback controversies in the past have not been condusive to having a great team. Somebody has to go.
So yes it's a gamble on many fronts are you creating a controversie and the cost of great draft capital or you missing out on a great opportunity.
Tua getting injured in college would weigh into my decision if I am Flores but logic says keep building the team.
At least I think we have found our first coach since Shula and as the old saying goes he could take his uns and beat your uns.

The thread title has the wrong year. 2020 was the draft that will decide the fate of Grier and probably Flores. The team's chances at being a SB threat in the next few years and whether or not our FO has jobs in 5 years depends on if Tua is the real deal or not. Miami will die on Tua's hill or we will have some real success for the 1st time in 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom