2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB

Certain QB play styles certainly contribute to shortened careers. It's not hard to imagine a Lamar Jackson or a Josh Allen, who are obviously great right now, turning into Cam Newton sooner rather than later. Not saying it will definitely happen, but taking more hits and running more hasn't generally been correlated with long sustained excellence. Obviously, any of us would take an elite QB, even for a shorter run. But given the option I'm sure we'd all prefer the elite QB for a longer time frame.
The difference is Josh doesn't take hits and runs less risky. He also is a much much better passing QB so even if he does loss a knee he'll be OK. Jackson is a one trick pony.

The difference is Josh doesn't take hits and runs less risky. He also is a much much better passing QB so even if he does loss a knee he'll be OK. Jackson is a one trick pony.
Comparatively, I completely agree. I'm just not convinced yet that Allen can consistently dominate from the pocket w/o a run threat.

Comparatively, I completely agree. I'm just not convinced yet that Allen can consistently dominate from the pocket w/o a run threat.
He cant yet... Josh is an average passer right now, which is more than enough when combined with his other skill sets... But if you restrict him to a pocket passer at this point in his career, it wont look all that good...

Chargers Justin Herbert has some nice numbers, but Rob & Mike explain why he is NOT a Top 3 QB.

Wait, no, don't tell me. He is not a top whatever QB because the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. If that's not it, apologies, but I'm going to vent anyway: the Dolphins went to the Super Bowl in 84 with a 14-2 record, but went only 6-10 in 88. The QB didn't change, the team did. Same with Herbert, when the team changes, the team will win.

Josh Allen sucks and the Bills will never win anything of significance. Last year was their best chance, they getting old at some key positions and Allen is only going to get beat up more and more over the years with his playing style like Cam Newton. I'm sure the Panthers thought they were going to be back after the SB too, hey at least they made it there LOL.

Last edited:
Wait, no, don't tell me. He is not a top whatever QB because the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. If that's not it, apologies, but I'm going to vent anyway: the Dolphins went to the Super Bowl in 84 with a 14-2 record, but went only 6-10 in 88. The QB didn't change, the team did. Same with Herbert, when the team changes, the team will win.
Herbert isnt a top 5 QB yet, and the reason the Chargers havent won that many games is because they're using him like he is... Herbert is a very good QB but you actually need an elite QB to win in this league if you're going to throw the ball an inordinate amount of the time, which they did... They're doing him wrong in the grand scheme of things. They should've made the playoffs in both seasons he's played already if only they didnt put the whole offense on his back. On the other side of the coin is a guy like Jimmy, who's mediocre by all means, put in a situation where they've installed a running game that opens up the whole field and makes it easy for him... And they win games.

Teams get lazy and just try to find the next elite QB, skipping steps on how to actually gameplan/build around their strengths and weaknesses. Its the new norm. Draft a guy, let him sink or swim in your **** show of a team building and gameplan strategy and blame him when **** goes wrong. Im glad the Fins picked up McDaniel because he seems to have got that part right, time will tell if his personality will be a problem down the road...

Herbert isnt a top 5 QB yet, and the reason the Chargers havent won that many games is because they're using him like he is... Herbert is a very good QB but you actually need an elite QB to win in this league if you're going to throw the ball an inordinate amount of the time, which they did... They're doing him wrong in the grand scheme of things. They should've made the playoffs in both seasons he's played already if only they didnt put the whole offense on his back. On the other side of the coin is a guy like Jimmy, who's mediocre by all means, put in a situation where they've installed a running game that opens up the whole field and makes it easy for him... And they win games.

Teams get lazy and just try to find the next elite QB, skipping steps on how to actually gameplan/build around their strengths and weaknesses. Its the new norm. Draft a guy, let him sink or swim in your **** show of a team building and gameplan strategy and blame him when **** goes wrong. Im glad the Fins picked up McDaniel because he seems to have got that part right, time will tell if his personality will be a problem down the road...
Right on Brother, you nailed it! Specifically with the hopes of McDaniel paving the way for success for Tua as some other coaches just put the pressure on the QB, Case and Point (Coach we will not speak of...LOL)!

Lamar is so overrated. He had one great year then the league found out about him. Like the league always does they change and adapts. He’ll still be an above average qb but will never have a 2019 again.

Lamar is so overrated. He had one great year then the league found out about him. Like the league always does they change and adapts. He’ll still be an above average qb but will never have a 2019 again.
Agreed. But he is not a great passer, he is primarily a run option first.

The Chargers, as usual, had one of the worst special teams and defense in the league, but whatever.

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

The Chargers, as usual, had one of the worst special teams and defense in the league, but whatever.
I thought excuses were inexcusable! No I’m not quoting you, just a small faction of FH

So what will people say when the chargers, who have one of the best rosters, miss the playoffs again?

Lamar gets critiqued like he's a vet or finished product for some reason while we wait 8 years for guys like Tannehill and guys like Josh Rosen are still getting calls. Same with Tua.

They did... And outside of total numbers, they also had a top 9-12 QB when it comes to efficiency stats... You simply cant take a 9-12 passing offense efficiency wise and throw the ball more than everyone but Tom Brady and be all that successful when it comes to W-L record. Its that simple.

Back
Top Bottom