2022 Top 100 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Top 100

Well the quick answer is yes, but a little more went into it. Linderbaum really hasn’t done anything to improve his stock while Zion Johnson has. Linderbaum wasn’t able to workout at the combine and show what he could do.

Secondly, what Linderbaum did do at the combine was measure, and coming in with barely over 31” arms can’t help you.

Johnson is simply bigger and more versatile. He can play more positions. Not just man them, but play them well. He’s played tackle and guard at Boston College (and Davidson prior to transferring to BC) and Center at the Senior Bowl. He’s just done more to lock in his grade as opposed to leaving questions.

Now, I’ve seen Linderbaum execute blocks on film from his center position that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen before. However, he’s just going to be more limited in terms of what schemes he fits into. Some blocking schemes just aren’t going to be a fit for him.

All that said, Linderbaum is just terrific with his feet, hand placement and leverage. A lot of that stems from his background as a championship wrestler. And he can move.

I think he has a shot to be Tom Nalen in that type of scheme and play 15 years in the league. Nalen was smaller than Linderbaum but had longer arms.

Mark Stepnoski made many pro bowls playing center at 6’2”, 265. I’ve never really understood why size is a concern with Linderbaum. If he can’t succeed at center in the NFL it won’t be due to size.

To answer your second question, I haven’t seen enough of Johnson at center to say with any certainty that he’d be a better center than Linderbaum in the NFL.

You asked two excellent questions.
Thank you very for the detailed explanation! Very sincerely appreciated 🙏.

I suppose the obvious follow up question is, do you think he’s a potential fit for the variation of the ZBS Mike McDaniel employs?

I haven’t studied the Niners or Broncos schemes under Shanahan to know if they are pin-and-pull or some other variation.

Yes I believe Linderbaum fits most variations. I haven’t studied the 49ers blocking scheme either, but what I know about OZ is the blocking by the TE and/or FB is more critical to success in terms of hitting the big chunk runs - because you’re targeting the force defender.

You can allow some penetration through the A gaps and still have successful runs on OZ in any scheme. But if your TE or FB aren’t hitting their blocks on the outside or not securing the force defender, it tends to lead to negative plays on OZ. Or also even IZ runs if the backside isn’t secured with the split zone block - which just means the TE or FB coming back across the formation at the snap to secure the back side.

Those are the most critical blocks on zone runs. I’m sure McDaniel understands this as a run game coordinator. The task for him is to find out whether or not he has the players at TE/FB to make this go, or whether he has to go get ‘em.

Although I can go ahead and tell him he probably won’t find George Kittle or Kyle Juszczyk on Miami’s roster.

Slimm, I was looking over the class and the guys below are the ones I tagged as having the rarest skillsets - not necessarily the best players, just tools and skills you don't see most years. Do you have any you'd add or remove? They're not in any particular order.

Jordan Davis
Leo Chenal
Breece Hall
Travon Walker
Aidan Hutchinson
Devonte Wyatt
Evan Neal
Jameson Williams
James Cook
Travis Jones

Slimm, I was looking over the class and the guys below are the ones I tagged as having the rarest skillsets - not necessarily the best players, just tools and skills you don't see most years. Do you have any you'd add or remove? They're not in any particular order.

Jordan Davis
Leo Chenal
Breece Hall
Travon Walker
Aidan Hutchinson
Devonte Wyatt
Evan Neal
Jameson Williams
James Cook
Travis Jones

Yeah especially Jordan Davis. You can live a long time and never see that again.

Players I'm higher on:

Tyler Linderbaum
Garrett Wilson
Kyle Hamilton
Chad Muma
Boye Mafe
Sam Howell
Abe Lucas
Charlie Kolar (not listed)

Appreciate the effort

At 29, it feels like Cine, Chenal, Wyatt, and Hall are the best realistic options - accounting for fit.

Not exactly where I'd want to attack from a strategic standpoint for Miami, but I think you're probably jumping tiers to target WR or OL - based on who is projected to be available.

At 29, it feels like Cine, Chenal, Wyatt, and Hall are the best realistic options - accounting for fit.

Not exactly where I'd want to attack from a strategic standpoint for Miami, but I think you're probably jumping tiers to target WR or OL - based on who is projected to be available.
Burks, London, Wilson, Olave, Dean, Davis, Walker, Penning

somebody will fall

It's kind of the forgotten position that we have to have. Either Janovich in FA, or at most a 6th rd pick in the draft. Heyward comes from a long line of pro athletes, and looks to have good hands, and decent burst. Not sure how good he is at blocking though.

Love the Christian Watson rating. I really wanted him in the second round but would be happy with him at 29. An absolute physical freak. Thanks for all the work here @Pachyderm_Wave

Slimm, curious for your take on Skyy Moore, who jumps out to me as the most notable absence.

Height and competition are the obvious knocks, but is there something else pushing him down your board?

Back
Top Bottom