3 reasons you should believe in Noah Igbinoghene | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 reasons you should believe in Noah Igbinoghene

This is a bit misleading. For openers, he beat out the veteran CB for the starting job. Iggy couldn’t get reps over Nik Needham (who I do like).

X did have an INT his rookie year - it came in the playoff game at Pitt. He was the only player on the day to make a play that day in what was a dreadful defensive showing.

As a rookie he also had a 6 pass breakups in 7 games played w 6 starts and 1 FF. Also recorded 40 tackles w one TFL.

X’s rookie campaign was pretty darn good. Iggy’s wasn’t even close.

Have to look deeper sometimes. We all saw a star in the making w X. We haven’t seen that yet w Iggy. Here’s to hoping he gets there.
If you REALLY want to take a deeper look... then take a look at the lack of training camp and preseason games that directly led to Iggy's slow start... remember... he looked bad on plays where coverage was handed off during the play, and plays where he expected help and didn't get it. His actual coverage wasn't bad at all... knowing who to cover and when was the real problem. Later in the season, this was not the case, and he played fairly well.
This narrative... and that's all it is... that Iggy played really badly is crap. He wasn't ready to start without camp...at 21. Nor was he drafted to play slot corner.

If you REALLY want to take a deeper look... then take a look at the lack of training camp and preseason games that directly led to Iggy's slow start... remember... he looked bad on plays where coverage was handed off during the play, and plays where he expected help and didn't get it. His actual coverage wasn't bad at all... knowing who to cover and when was the real problem. Later in the season, this was not the case, and he played fairly well.
This narrative... and that's all it is... that Iggy played really badly is crap. He wasn't ready to start without camp...at 21. Nor was he drafted to play slot corner.
He played bad and that’s not a crap narrative. No rookie had the benefit of camp. And a lot of rookies played well around the league. Look, I want the guy to be great but we haven’t seen anything yet - circumstances are irrelevant. The narrative that X wasn’t good as a rookie is the crap one. He won the starting job over the safe, veteran player Verner. And I posted his stat track in the 7 games played plus the pick in the playoffs. Iggy got beaten like a drum in weeks 1 and 2 it was embarrassing and finished the year w his highlight being that he saved a Jakeem muff on special teams.

In 16 games, he started 2 due to BJ’s injury and that’s where he was awful. He had 13 tackles and 2 PD. Yay. His coverage was awesome though.

I think a better title for this article would have been 3 reasons not to give up hope on Noah. He hasn’t shown us anything to believe in him as a solid player yet but he should get more than a year considering the circumstances before we give up on him.

Circumstances are not irrelevant... that's just lazy analysis.

...and yes, it was a crap narrative.

As the youngest player in the entire NFL, and at a position that requires quite a bit of memorization of coverages and practice reps, Iggy was not ready on week one. Hell, the Dolphins didn't really want him to play much last year, but depth issues forced their hand early.

Again, when Iggy stepped in later in the year, we didn't see the mental errors... and that was the only problem early.

Circumstances are not irrelevant... that's just lazy analysis.

...and yes, it was a crap narrative.

As the youngest player in the entire NFL, and at a position that requires quite a bit of memorization of coverages and practice reps, Iggy was not ready on week one. Hell, the Dolphins didn't really want him to play much last year, but depth issues forced their hand early.

Again, when Iggy stepped in later in the year, we didn't see the mental errors... and that was the only problem early.
100%

I had a problem with his ability to stick to a WR, his feet looked kind of slow at the start of the year changing directions.

If he improves or has improved that, which is part just getting experience, he could be a good corner.

Devonta "Slim Reaper" Smith, aka Heisman WR said Iggy was the best CB he went against during his college career, whatever that's worth...
It means that his coverage is super tight... Smith said this because he couldn't shake Iggy. Smith... the guy who shook everyone.

...and that brings us back to what Iggy's problem was early in the season-- mental errors, NOT coverage ability. The big blunders that some have become overly focused upon were all of the same nature, he covered the wrong spot, or the wrong player and someone broke wide open. This was NOT a lack of ability; it was a lack of practice time, a lack of knowing the defensive coverages, and he knows them now.

I get it. I know what your saying. What I'm saying is he didn't even flash anything good, let alone great. He was a number 1 pick. He at least has to show something even if it's very inconsistent
I think Joe Burrow will take offense to that statement...

I don’t believe yet because what I saw was disgustingly terrible last year.

My hopes rest on his pedigree - his parents were world class athletes so he must be one competitor mutha. He has the athletic ability but that doesn’t mean anything in any sport if you can’t “play fast” like Zach Thomas could etc.

Everyone gets hyped this time of year and if I had $2.65 for every hype job on every fin in nearly 50 years of fandom I’d be retired by now.

Fluff pieces and filler. Let’s see when the pads come on and the games begin.

Reach / project picks disappoint more often than not. Throw in the added pressure of a kid that is going to be held up to X at every turn. **** - just keep X here for crying out loud.
Disgustingly terrible I think is a little dramatic.

He got torched against Diggs and Brown week 2. BFD. Diggs torched everyone last season. I doubt our 22 yo raw rookie CB was going to man him up and shut him down with zero off season.

Don't follow on the ZT reference. Did ZT have game speed? 100%. Noah has game speed and real speed. He does not play slow. So not too sure of the relevance here.

We finally agree on the last point. Regardless of our differing opinions on Iggy, we 100% need to keep X.

If they deal him the team is telling you they don't think we are competing again this season.....

I think we are competing and I think they pay the man.

I think Joe Burrow will take offense to that statement...
He means a first rounder obviously . Not #1 overall. Even though I don't agree with him this response is not something adding value in any way to a discussion.

This post just sent me to bed, evening gents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that some people hate the idea of drafting another first or second round CB next year, but really... don't be surprised.

It won't be because Grier/Flores have an unhealthy fascination with CBs either. Most CBs don't play well after 30, and both Jones and Hoard are 28 (as is Coleman). Two, maybe three years left before they lose a step and fall way off, and CB is one of the prime positions in the NFL. If you have bad CBs, you lose... period.

Iggy is still 21 and he's the future. Needham is 24 and might stick around awhile, but after that... not much.

We'll need more... we'll ALWAYS need more, and I think it's odd that so many seem to understand that RBs are largely disposable without realizing that CBs are almost as limited... while you need more of them and factoring in their greater importance.

Flores/Grier know all of this, and you can see it by the way both Hoard and Jones' contracts were structured... paying them less at the end of the contracts, as their speed will be waning.

If we trade X, I believe Igby will be solid. Not as many interceptions as X had, but Igby will be a very positive factor and not a liability. X won’t have 10 INTs this year if we keep him either.

Disgustingly terrible I think is a little dramatic.

He got torched against Diggs and Brown week 2. BFD. Diggs torched everyone last season. I doubt our 22 yo raw rookie CB was going to man him up and shut him down with zero off season.

Don't follow on the ZT reference. Did ZT have game speed? 100%. Noah has game speed and real speed. He does not play slow. So not too sure of the relevance here.

We finally agree on the last point. Regardless of our differing opinions on Iggy, we 100% need to keep X.

If they deal him the team is telling you they don't think we are competing again this season.....

I think we are competing and I think they pay the man.
Regarding Zach - yes, meant game speed even though he didn’t have real speed. Iggy has real speed but it has to translate to game speed for it to matter. That happens when you stop thinking and are playing on instinct etc. He didn’t do that last year. Many young players don’t until they’ve had enough experience. There is always a chance that it never comes as well. I’m rooting for him I just don’t understand the “well, dump X and put Iggy in and we’ll be fine” because we don’t know that. And if the goal is to win the SB you don’t trade your best player who plays the one position that is the most difficult to replace on defense - and it is the strength of the team.

Back
Top Bottom