3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

That play you are referring to at the 4:29 mark doesn't demonstrate lazy to me. He just got caught peeking into the backfield and was late turning to run. It was impressive how much ground he gained after he was beat. He almost made the play. I do agree with you though. There were a lot of plays where he looked disinterested.

If it were just one play then I wouldn’t make the observation. Pick any tape and you’ll routinely see him watch the play happen, watch others make the tackle and if a play breaks forget about it he’s not hustling.

It’s made that much worst because the guy can move when he wants to.

Last edited:
I really question this guys effort level on the field. There are too many times watching his play where I cringe watching him jog, literally take plays while his teammates make the tackle.

Shocking for someone playing LB.

Yet, he paced the Buckeyes in total tackles last year at 72. For someone with such lackadaisical play, he must be doing something right to lead his team in tackles.

I was surprised that Todd McShay maintained that Jerome Baker was the Dolphins best pick (especially since we selected Minkah Fitzpatrick and Mike Gesiski prior to him).

McShay calls Baker the Dolphins’ best pick: “Instead of giving up picks, the Dolphins were patient and got a player in the third round who could've gone in the second. Baker is today's NFL linebacker (4.53 40-yard dash at combine). He's not going to take on blocks, but he can cover running backs and tight ends, and work sideline to sideline. Great pick for Miami.”

I would say to all that are disappointed. Kiko can't cover TEs and backs, this is Baker's specialty. We can't be a winning team until we can stop the short passing attack of the other team. All last year we got burned by the quick pass, this bleeding had to stop and Baker is the band aide. If you're angry about the Baker pick it's probably because you wanted Mason Rudolph or somebody else. I suggest watching this kid play some football in a Dolphin uniform before making up your mind.
He and Rakwon are going to team up in Miami the way they did at Ohio State. This defense is slowly but surely taking shape. After June1, we'll pick up a DT or 2.

Lots of mixed consensus on this kid. He's fast, athletic, and played in a very respectable program.

There are also concerns about his instincts, hustle, and overall willingness to stay involved in every play.

This isn't a particularly promising combination....but the coaches will have a chance to take an elite level athlete and scheme him into our defense. He certainly fills a need in our coverage of TEs and RBs....and will need to develop some of the other intangibles to help him remain a viable starter.

Wait and see from me.

As with many picks, there are varying opinions on everyone. One guy I follow, (Brandon Howard) spoke with Grier and said Kiko is moving to the other side and TJMcD & Baker will compete at Kiko's old spot. I've also seen Baker projected as a 2nd round pick. McMillan is "firmly" entrenched as the MLB.

I wonder if they could end up having a set of nickel backers that take McMillan and Kiko off the field?

Watching more about this player and man he’s fast and has great instincts in zone coverage. He doesn’t have much issue staying on the hip of guys he’s covering. If he pans out then our zone coverage defense just improved tremendously with him and Minkah added to the defense.

Buh bye Kiko Alonso.

You think teams scrap their big boards the day of the draft based on what player an rival picks?

I think I seen Philly jump Dallas for a TE.

And as a whole NO, but if you have 2 or more players grading out the same, yes I think teams respond.

Yet, he paced the Buckeyes in total tackles last year at 72. For someone with such lackadaisical play, he must be doing something right to lead his team in tackles.

I was surprised that Todd McShay maintained that Jerome Baker was the Dolphins best pick (especially since we selected Minkah Fitzpatrick and Mike Gesiski prior to him).

McShay calls Jerome Baker the Dolphins’ best pick: “Instead of giving up picks, the Dolphins were patient and got a player in the third round who could've gone in the second. Baker is today's NFL linebacker (4.53 40-yard dash at combine). He's not going to take on blocks, but he can cover running backs and tight ends, and work sideline to sideline. Great pick for Miami.”
When the Baker pick was announced my immediate reaction was good that he is from Ohio State to join Raekwon but sounds too small and too light for our obvious weakness at SAM linebacker. However, it is really interesting to see the number of really well informed NFL people coming out publicly saying that Baker was a very good pick as the WILL linebacker because of his speed and tackling prowess. I had just assumed the WILL position was Kiko's.
What I'm seeing is that GM Chris Grier seems more methodical and patient in his Draft selections than Jeff Ireland and other GMs of yesteryear. He definitely takes value picks when they pop up like Baker and Ballage (also Tankersley last year). Grier appears less inclined to make the impetuous, wacky emotional picks than we have seen from the Dolphins in the past (cough Dion Jordan, etc). I'm an optimist by nature but I really like our Draft this year.

Last edited:

McShay calls Baker the Dolphins’ best pick: “Instead of giving up picks, the Dolphins were patient and got a player in the third round who could've gone in the second. Baker is today's NFL linebacker (4.53 40-yard dash at combine). He's not going to take on blocks, but he can cover running backs and tight ends, and work sideline to sideline. Great pick for Miami.”

We'll see! The guy's talents is undeniable and when he turns it on and puts forth full effort it jumps at you.

If it were just one play then I wouldn’t make the observation. Pick any tape and you’ll routinely see him watch the play happen, watch others make the tackle and if a play breaks forget about it he’s not hustling.

It’s made that much worst because the guy can move when he wants to.
Funny, last night ESPN had on Oklahoma vs Ohio St. from last season. I watched the entire game just watching Baker. Super fast and really athletic but.....saw the same thing you did! Seemed a bit lazy chasing some plays. And now I am reading you saw the same on tape. I do not think that will be a tough problem to fix but strange to see his effort change play to play

Funny, last night ESPN had on Oklahoma vs Ohio St. from last season. I watched the entire game just watching Baker. Super fast and really athletic but.....saw the same thing you did! Seemed a bit lazy chasing some plays. And now I am reading you saw the same on tape. I do not think that will be a tough problem to fix but strange to see his effort change play to play

Thank you! Some are trying to make it seem like I'm pulling the assessment out of my butt. The guy dogged it at times. If he was a DB then I kinda let those guys take a pass. Especially if the player being tackled is bigger-bodied like a RB, TE, QB etc.

But a starting LB needs to show more hustle and willingness to help bring someone down.

I think it was the Georgia game where he was beaten for a TD on a wheel-route type play. If it was someone else then hey it happens! But for him it was straight up lack of hustle and coasting.

Thank you! Some are trying to make it seem like I'm pulling the assessment out of my butt. The guy dogged it at times. If he was a DB then I kinda let those guys take a pass. Especially if the player being tackled is bigger-bodied like a RB, TE, QB etc.

But a starting LB needs to show more hustle and willingness to help bring someone down.

I think it was the Georgia game where he was beaten for a TD on a wheel-route type play. If it was someone else then hey it happens! But for him it was straight up lack of hustle.

Kind of Jordan Phillips-esque?

Kind of Jordan Phillips-esque?

At first, i was going to say...no! Then I thought about it and actually, i think that's a pretty close and fair comparison.

A potential lazy DT and an LB right behind him....Yikes!

He seems like a hybrid safety.

Back
Top Bottom