3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

Anyone complain about him being 6'1 228, there's telvin Smith from the the Jaguars, Myles jack from the Jaguars, Dion Jones from the Falcons, lavonte David, ryan shazier, are all under 6'2 230 pounds and all have had good careers. The same crap was said about them and in the right system they all flourished.

I cant remember the last buckeye lb to not be good..any thoughts ..jelani Jenkins had that one good year for us and I thought he was gonna be very good, but he could never stay healthy .if baker has a rookie season anywhere close to that it's a great pick.

While I agree with you there on the size of modern day LBs getting smaller, how many of those guys are SAM backers? if we drafted him to be Kiko's replacement at Will, thats fine, but then wth do we do with Kiko? pay him to ride the bench? move him to SAM? I just dont get using a 3rd on a guy who plays a position we already have, not to mention, what does this mean about TJ moving to play LB in nickel/dime? this guy appears similar to what TJ would do when he moves to LB, cause that is 100% happening now that we got Fitz...

Sounds like he's a solid kid off the field too...."ball of positivity", organized players to stand against domestic abuse and sexual assault....absolutely buying into the culture change aspect of our franchise....we've got some very solid individuals on this team with some gifts.

Now we need to scheme them right and let em play ball.

Had to have been a Major Red Flag on Malik Jefferson for him to fall and Miami not pick him in the 3rd.
I am not a fan of Baker at all IMO.

This was an excellent pick. It was obvious what type of linebacker they were looking at outside of the chance at Roquan Smith. Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, Jerome Baker.... They're all in the same mold. Those were the guys they were targeting in this range. He's the one who fell.

They wanted a guy who can cover. Someone who can replace Kiko in the nickel package. Isn't that something we all screamed and cursed about in the game threads every week for the past two seasons? You'd think people would be more thrilled about that.

Tight ends and running backs have killed this team. Between Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker we are going to be a lot better at avoiding those headaches so much. We will actually have a shot at getting off the field on third and long. Look at how offenses have shifted, and how tight ends and running backs are being used in the passing game now. It's one of the reasons why we moved on from Ajayi. You NEED linebackers who are fast, athletic, and can cover. That's Jerome Baker.

I have no issues with this pick. Had they taken him over Leonard, then fine. But with what was remaining on the board, from a need AND value standpoint.... I am fine with this pick.
How quickly they forget our achilles. Wish I had a dollar for every time I was looking at the back of Kiko's uniform as the other team converted another third and long. It's a copycat league, once he was exposed, every team exploited it. GIve the FO credit for recognizing and addressing a major deficiency in our D, our 1st, and 3rd should fix that problem.

I would have lived mason too. But the best part of not getting him is the Pats didn't either. That makes me smile.

Agreed, the best part is the rest of the division is having a generally crappy draft and NE brought Rudolph in for a visit. The Jets with no second round pick and a rookie QB. Bills with a rookie QB. The season is setting up nicely. At this point, it would be tempting to bet on the over 7.5 wins for Miami especially if they can get to 4-2 in the division.

Agreed, the best part is the rest of the division is having a generally crappy draft and NE brought Rudolph in for a visit. The Jets with no second round pick and a rookie QB. Bills with a rookie QB. The season is setting up nicely. At this point, it would be tempting to bet on the over 7.5 wins for Miami especially if they can get to 4-2 in the division.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go 5-1 in ohr division. At some point, Brady will start his fall.

Like any 3rd round pick I’d expect Baker to be an immediate special teams contributor, and play limited snaps with the defense. If he’s ineffective on ST then I wouldn’t be shocked due to his size if he is redshirted.

That Mia defense was slow- really slow and watching games live the other teams were always a step fatser. They had to improve team speed.

All that said- I stand by my opinion that they better draft a run stopping DT or else expect to be exploited in the run game.

Baker gave up 6 TD’s in coverage over the last 2 season’s, that’s where my concern is. He needs to get a little bigger and correct the reasons why he was scored on, If he can do that he should be a great addition.

Does picking Baker mean Kiko is our MLB because i think thats a horrible choice. we will get ran all over with kiko at MLB

i think grier said yesterday that alonso showed up at 240 at the facility....who knows what the plan is for him

This is a great pick! One of our biggest issues for years on defense is we can not cover tight ends. This pick has the potential to be that guy. I love the pick. Hopefully he develops into a great LB.

What's the big difference between this pick and the #44 Stephone Anthony we already have on the roster?

Also, it's SCARY how lazy #17 plays! He routinely watches his teammates make tackles.

Look at the McMillan tape below and pay attention to #17 Baker

Also note the long TD against him at the 4:29 mark...Lazy defender..

That play you are referring to at the 4:29 mark doesn't demonstrate lazy to me. He just got caught peeking into the backfield and was late turning to run. It was impressive how much ground he gained after he was beat. He almost made the play. I do agree with you though. There were a lot of plays where he looked disinterested.

Back
Top Bottom