3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

This is a great pick! One of our biggest issues for years on defense is we can not cover tight ends. This pick has the potential to be that guy. I love the pick. Hopefully he develops into a great LB.

I'll take a solid LB. Been a long time

Another factor associated with the Jerome Baker pick is that our forgotten 2nd round pick from last year, Raekwon McMillan has recovered from his surgery and has now got his Buckeye LB buddy and right hand man now as a fellow Dolphin. We have effectively doubled down on Ohio State linebackers and make no mistake, Raekwon is the likely future Defensive leader of our team. He had some bad luck to get wiped out last season in a preseason game but he's back and he will be very excited that Miami drafted Baker to join him. In fact I bet that putting these Buckeyes together again was not an accident after Minkah was taken in the 1st.

Last edited:
My only issue with the pick is... WHEN teams run at him (BECAUSE THEY WILL) how’s he going to hold up? Offensive Coordinators are payed to fine the weaknesses

I completely understand the pick and i'll hope his speed translates, but i'm not smiling about it. Baker looks great in space - on tape he looks like the fastest LB in coverage and chase, great change of direction......but his run defense, instincts and overall effort (IMO) is not good. He's routinely out of position or engaged with a blocker, or jogging on the backside not pursuing. I can't remember another LB with his speed that i've watched not chase once a play is past him. I heard commentators say his Wisconsin game was good but the tapes i watched were PSU, Iowa, OU and Michigan. Also, as fast as he is, he gives up too many plays in coverage.

I understand the dire LB need, especially speed/coverage LBers, so i get it......but i thought others guys still on the board were better players and would still fill a need.

Let me just make this simple for everyone, Myles jack and both telvin Smith are sub 230, and Paul poslunsky was drum role please......238. Raekon is 242. Hmm, so that who plays slb really doesn't matter and I'm glad that they are going with the trend, because days of big lbs are in the past. It's rare that a 250 lb comes in that can run, cover and tackle and when they do come they're 10 ten picks. The kid can cover, run and tackle sounds good to me. This is a passing league, this is a passing league, so a player like josey Jewell would have been a 2nd rd pick but he's to slow and doesn't affect the passing game much.. another great pick by Miami in the 4th with that big running back they took who seems like a DeMarco Murray type/telvin Coleman, 4.44 speed

Isn't that what the draft is about

One of my favorites is the OSU angle and how McMillan factored into this decision. The silliest was McMillan being the defensive leader for years to come. Can we get through TC first?

I'm hoping Jerome Baker pans out well so we can dump Kiko.

Baker seems a coverage weakside linebacker. He's got good play speed. I think he's similar but not nearly as good as Roquan Smith. I actually think Roquan might have been the Dolphins top choice (even over Minkah). But a player like Roquan or Jerome, in order for them to do well, you have to keep them clean of blocks or they'll get smothered. I'm not sure the Dolphins have that defensive line to eat up blocks and maintain their gaps to really let a weakside linebacker stand out.

Dolphins real hope at linebacker still is for Raekwon McMillan to break out and champion this defense.

Minkah was higher on most boards I saw...be surprised if he wasn’t on the Dolphins as well.

I don’t think Most thought Minkah was getting out of the top 8.

I liked Roquan, but he had some weaknesses and prefer our pick and see Minkah filling more holes being a leader as well.

I really question this guys effort level on the field. There are too many times watching his play where I cringe watching him jog, literally take plays while his teammates make the tackle.

Shocking for someone playing LB.

Back
Top Bottom