A few reasons why the Tua Injury May be a blessing in disguise! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A few reasons why the Tua Injury May be a blessing in disguise!

Agree to a degree. I can grudgingly accept a small move up - say from 9 to 7 - but that's it. Moves that cost little in picks. But moving from 5 to 3 will cost a first-born. Moving from 12 to 5 is too rich.

No, that's fine if it will not cost us too much, I have no problem with that.

Thing is though (and I could be wrong), we will probably be picking in the top 3, top 15, and top 25 with our 1st three picks.

To move from 3 up to 1 or even 2, it will become expensive no matter what, and that is where my problem is.

If Miami is at 15, did not get a QB with their 1st pick, and want to move up to 14 or 13 because the QB they are hoping to get there is about to be taken, then no problem here as long as it's not too expensive, I would not have a problem.

Same goes with if we're 25 (or other draft picks after the 1st round), and a player we like is about to be taken, no problem if Miami want's to smartly move up.

Moving up to the 1st or 2nd overall pick could hurt us bigtime, unless whomever we tade with is fine with a low 2nd or just 3rd(probably very doubtful)....And it better be because they have a chance to get Burrows...Anybody else is not worth moving up for IMO.

No, that's fine if it will not cost us too much, I have no problem with that.

Thing is though (and I could be wrong), we will probably be picking in the top 3, top 15, and top 25 with our 1st three picks.

To move from 3 up to 1 or even 2, it will become expensive no matter what, and that is where my problem is.

If Miami is at 15, did not get a QB with their 1st pick, and want to move up to 14 or 13 because the QB they are hoping to get there is about to be taken, then no problem here as long as it's not too expensive, I would not have a problem.

Same goes with if we're 25 (or other draft picks after the 1st round), and a player we like is about to be taken, no problem if Miami want's to smartly move up.

Moving up to the 1st or 2nd overall pick could hurt us bigtime, unless whomever we tade with is fine with a low 2nd or just 3rd(probably very doubtful)....And it better be because they have a chance to get Burrows...Anybody else is not worth moving up for IMO.

Agree, but in this draft there are 2-3 projected 'top' picks so moving up to, say, #2 will be competition. I know the downside of having 4 teams competing for one player

Very well thought out write up, and I agree, but Option D may be more real then you believe.

On face value, Tua is on another level then Rosen...Hell, he's probably on a few levels higher then Rosen, but right now, word out of camp has been Rosen is getting much better, and Tua has a severe injury that he has to overcome.

It's not really that crazy to believe Rosen proves next year he has become a more Cerebral QB (He is said to be extremely smart), add to that pretty good physical tools, and all of a sudden he's playing like a top 5 QB, while on the other block, Tua clears to be able to play, comes to the Dolphins, and his hip injury hinders him from playing at the same level he played in College.

Now got to state right here that though I am hoping at getting Burrows after the last few games I saw of him, I really have no horse in this race...

If we take Tua late or even earlier then we should, I will be very excited (Though slightly nervous that his Injury has been determined to not hurt him).

If we take Herbert or Fromm, I will be excited on how either of these two will be groomed to be our future.

If we take Eason or Love, I will be happy and have faith that either one will be groomed where their raw skills will come out in a big way.

Even if we stay put, picking Young or another top 5 talent, but no top college QB, I will be hopeful they saw something in Rosen that may make 2020 for him a lot better the 2018 or 2019.

Great, well thought out post Tay.

Two things stuck out to me about the feelings you expressed in your post. Two things that this Dolphins team NEVER EVER EVER does right that they suddenly appear to be now:

1) We have options. The QB position for this team has been stuck in the mud forever. Finally it seems they are poised to make a bold step with the intent of shoring up this position with internal (Rosen) and external (draft pick) options.

2) We have faith in this coaching staff developing their young players correctly. Reading your post, I too would be okay with it if they took a later round prospect if they saw something in them because I trust them to have a plan. Definitely a new feeling for me.

Have you seen Rosen behind a "Respectable" O-Line in Miami or Arizona??? Do you think he had a fair shot to prove himself? What about all the drops? I counted at least 5 perfect throws for TD's that his WR's dropped..

Additionally...he has never had proper coaching until this year....is it any wonder he doesn’t handle a porous O-line as well as a 15 Vet?

I had basically the same injury to my left hip from a head on car crash. Sure, I'm "fully recovered" for my regular life... I can run straight fairly well but my hip is not 100%. I don't have NFL people running me down and landing on me either. I'd fully expect Tua's hip to be more susceptible to injury again.

Like breaking a collar bone, you never know... just have to land on it in a bad position. If we had a choice of QBs, I'd go Burrow but I'd still take Tua over Fromm and probably Herbert. Tua the person adds gravitas and hype back the organization desperately needs.

While I wholeheartedly agreed that it was time to move on, if a team can keep RT upright, and relatively clean, he has above average physical skills. He can make every required throw, and is not prone to dumb mistake.

That's fine during the regular season, but lets see what happens if they get to the playoffs, and things are cranked up a couple notches.
Tannehill can make required strength throws, but lacks severe touch, so throws like fade routes and certain screen throws are absent in his reportoire... jmo

I had basically the same injury to my left hip from a head on car crash. Sure, I'm "fully recovered" for my regular life... I can run straight fairly well but my hip is not 100%. I don't have NFL people running me down and landing on me either. I'd fully expect Tua's hip to be more susceptible to injury again.

Like breaking a collar bone, you never know... just have to land on it in a bad position. If we had a choice of QBs, I'd go Burrow but I'd still take Tua over Fromm and probably Herbert. Tua the person adds gravitas and hype back the organization desperately needs.

exactly...I think Burrow will win Superbowls if he avoids Cinncinati or Washington...Herbert has improved and I will be watching to see the rest of the year.

Tua will certainly play at some point...but how durable will he be? 3 surgeries in 24 college games bothers me a bit!

This is going to mean trading our 1st pick of the draft for something like two 2nds and two 3rds

exactly...I think Burrow will win Superbowls if he avoids Cinncinati or Washington...Herbert has improved and I will be watching to see the rest of the year.

Tua will certainly play at some point...but how durable will he be? 3 surgeries in 24 college games bothers me a bit!
No one is paying attention to that.

I wanna preface this by saying I’m a Tua fan and I hope dolphins land him.
1) The injury increases the likelihood he will be available for us. And also decreases the chance of a team baiting us to trade up. If Tua is our guy and medical checks out we can still play hard ball and I seriously doubt a team trades up over us to land him.
2) Time to develop, let him sit for a year learn the offense spend time behind Fitz, learn as much as he can, recover and come back with a slight edge as opposed to starting right away.
3) OLINE. We all know our offensive line is abysmal and needs to be rebuilt. We have cap space and picks to add talent to protect. But one of the most important factors that every good Oline has is continuity. Great offensive lines aren’t built in an offseason these guys need reps together to learn to play as a unit. If we can land a few building block pieces and let them play together before Tua starts it will be beneficial for the young QB.
4) Josh Rosen, we are one of the few teams who already have 2 cheap QBs under contract. Tua sitting a year gives us an extra year to evaluate Josh Rosen with more talent around him. The benefits to this is A) he improves his value and we trade him to recoup a pick. B) he proves he can be a long term reliable back up to Tua. C) he fails but we don’t have to worry about the what ifs and we move on D) he somehow becomes a superstar, and we trade Tua when he’s healthy for a solid haul (extremely unlikely scenario but figured I’d throw it in).

Please note that I am serious and that the following is not an effort to troll this board

You forgot to list reason #5, which is that we will be in a position to get Tannehill in Free Agency for less then we were paying him last year.

This would allow us to use more high level draft picks on the rest of the team and possibly use a middle or low draft pick on a developmental QB. Fritz may not want to play one more year.

Tannehill seems to be doing well as a QB with a reasonable offensive line and is scheduled to become a FA at the end of this season. I feel he could be an asset next year if we can develop an average to good offensive line during the upcoming draft.

I don't believe it is bad luck for Rosen, not yet; he has more sacks because he can not process the field as quickly as a 10+ year veteran. This is his 2nd system in 2 years and he is 23 years old. If and when he gets another chance, I would like to see if his ability to identify the play and execute quicker has improved.

I thought it was his third or fourth system in two years.

Exactly. I live near Buffalo and I listen to the Buffalo sports talk shows and I'll never forget the endless calls they took back in the day saying that they needed to fix their offensive line because Rob Johnson kept getting sacked, but then Doug Flutie stepped in and voila, the same offensive line was fixed.

Maybe the defense couldn't see where Flutie was because he was so short.

While I wholeheartedly agreed that it was time to move on, if a team can keep RT upright, and relatively clean, he has above average physical skills. He can make every required throw, and is not prone to dumb mistake.

That's fine during the regular season, but lets see what happens if they get to the playoffs, and things are cranked up a couple notches.

You mean like in the Titans / Chiefs game?

Back
Top Bottom