A few reasons why the Tua Injury May be a blessing in disguise! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A few reasons why the Tua Injury May be a blessing in disguise!

They aren't significant though. This was the first "significant" injury and it's a freak injury. He had ankle surgery to strengthen the ankle above a normal limit last year and didn't miss a game. Had the same thing done with the other ankle. Those procedures supposedly make it almost impossible to sprain your ankle ever. This latest injury is the only one that's worth monitoring because it was pretty significant and nobody knows the prognosis as complications could arise over the next few months. If that's fine, then he'll gain traction right up towards the top of the draft again.

There are two choices:
1) You go with another QB and hope they fix their flaws
2) You go with Tua and hope he comes back ok if you're under the assumption that 1 doesn't apply.

I'm of the opinion that #2 is less risk as of now. Things could obviously change over the next few months though.
I've been hearing reports that the two ankle surgeries weren't needed. They would have healed fine on thier own. That saban pushed Tua into the surgery when he did in order to have Tua back with no concerns for the playoffs.
Like I said, they were strengthening procedures. They were to make his ankles stronger than usual so spraining your ankle again is "almost impossible", according to the doctors.

Of course it is

My only point is as someone else pointed out yes Fitz is better right now at avoiding the rush
Makes sense
But there are so many instances as when RT was here where there is just about zero blocking
So bad even Marino wouldn't be able to function
Tannehill was just as bad as Rosen in regards to getting the ball out. It was the same thing.

Wanna know why Fitz has half the sack rate of Rosen? Rosen won't have a "respectable" Oline unless he's playing for Dallas because he routinely makes Olines look worse. It's been said a billion times, and it's why he got benched, that he takes too long to process the field. What do you think happens because of that? He gets sacked a ton. You act like it's just bad luck that nobody can protect him... From UCLA, to Arizona, to us.

His point is different from your assumption that this kid is un-trainable? Nothing like being open minded. This kid played a year in Phoenix but didn't know how to find the Mike? That should be the first thing taught to a rookie, yet he said that until he got here he was never taught? Now he's supposed to call protections? In 4 games?

His point is different from your assumption that this kid is un-trainable? Nothing like being open minded. This kid played a year in Phoenix but didn't know how to find the Mike? That should be the first thing taught to a rookie, yet he said that until he got here he was never taught? Now he's supposed to call protections? In 4 games?
It shouldn't be something that's taught to you for the first time in the NFL. I don't need someone on the roster playing QB that has no idea what he's doing. There are tons of guys in the draft that know what they're doing that I could replace him with.

I wanna preface this by saying I’m a Tua fan and I hope dolphins land him.
1) The injury increases the likelihood he will be available for us. And also decreases the chance of a team baiting us to trade up. If Tua is our guy and medical checks out we can still play hard ball and I seriously doubt a team trades up over us to land him.
2) Time to develop, let him sit for a year learn the offense spend time behind Fitz, learn as much as he can, recover and come back with a slight edge as opposed to starting right away.
3) OLINE. We all know our offensive line is abysmal and needs to be rebuilt. We have cap space and picks to add talent to protect. But one of the most important factors that every good Oline has is continuity. Great offensive lines aren’t built in an offseason these guys need reps together to learn to play as a unit. If we can land a few building block pieces and let them play together before Tua starts it will be beneficial for the young QB.
4) Josh Rosen, we are one of the few teams who already have 2 cheap QBs under contract. Tua sitting a year gives us an extra year to evaluate Josh Rosen with more talent around him. The benefits to this is A) he improves his value and we trade him to recoup a pick. B) he proves he can be a long term reliable back up to Tua. C) he fails but we don’t have to worry about the what ifs and we move on D) he somehow becomes a superstar, and we trade Tua when he’s healthy for a solid haul (extremely unlikely scenario but figured I’d throw it in).

Very well thought out write up, and I agree, but Option D may be more real then you believe.

On face value, Tua is on another level then Rosen...Hell, he's probably on a few levels higher then Rosen, but right now, word out of camp has been Rosen is getting much better, and Tua has a severe injury that he has to overcome.

It's not really that crazy to believe Rosen proves next year he has become a more Cerebral QB (He is said to be extremely smart), add to that pretty good physical tools, and all of a sudden he's playing like a top 5 QB, while on the other block, Tua clears to be able to play, comes to the Dolphins, and his hip injury hinders him from playing at the same level he played in College.

Now got to state right here that though I am hoping at getting Burrows after the last few games I saw of him, I really have no horse in this race...

If we take Tua late or even earlier then we should, I will be very excited (Though slightly nervous that his Injury has been determined to not hurt him).

If we take Herbert or Fromm, I will be excited on how either of these two will be groomed to be our future.

If we take Eason or Love, I will be happy and have faith that either one will be groomed where their raw skills will come out in a big way.

Even if we stay put, picking Young or another top 5 talent, but no top college QB, I will be hopeful they saw something in Rosen that may make 2020 for him a lot better the 2018 or 2019.

Tannehill was just as bad as Rosen in regards to getting the ball out. It was the same thing.

You mean the guy who was 4th in the NFL in Y/A, 3rd in TD passes, 8th in passing yards and 5th in passer rating since he took over as the starter for the Titans up until Tennessee's bye?

Pretty sure a surrounding cast and coaching makes a difference.

We have to trade up, plain and simple. No matter where we pick we have to trade up with Washington to get the 2nd pick.

from there we control our own destiny with either Tua, Burrow, or Young. We have too much ammo to sit back and hope.

Trading up is a very bad idea, especially if we are right behind at #3.

You mean the guy who was 4th in the NFL in Y/A, 3rd in TD passes, 8th in passing yards and 5th in passer rating since he took over as the starter for the Titans up until Tennessee's bye?

While I wholeheartedly agreed that it was time to move on, if a team can keep RT upright, and relatively clean, he has above average physical skills. He can make every required throw, and is not prone to dumb mistake.

That's fine during the regular season, but lets see what happens if they get to the playoffs, and things are cranked up a couple notches.

Oh man, he's tricked you again. You... and the entire Titans fan base... is in for a rude awakening... again... at some point.

PS: He's been sacked 17 times in 4 starts with a completely terrible 11%+ sack rate which was he was at last season with Miami. His flaw is the same as Rosen's and always will be.

Agree to a degree. I can grudgingly accept a small move up - say from 9 to 7 - but that's it. Moves that cost little in picks. But moving from 5 to 3 will cost a first-born. Moving from 12 to 5 is too rich.
Yes, not all situations are equal. First, you have to have a willing trade partner.

As a rule, though, the team trading down has all the leverage. They have something you want, and very little incentive to move unless you make it "worthwhile". There is also the possibility that you are bidding against other teams, thus driving the price up further.

OP, when I first read the title the first thing that came to mind was I bet Tua doesn’t think its a blessing ;-)

My roommate from college had a dislocated hip with a fracture from a car accident in HS.

doctors told him he would never run and would be lucky to walk normally, unless he won a medical lottery.

he was running within 9 months and won a state championship in wrestling. He ended up picking up lacrosse in college and played with me.

I talked to him last night about Tua. He said based on his personal experience that there is no way in hell his hip could stand up to getting hit by 300+Lb lineman, even occasionally.

take that for what it is worth. But it is an interesting take from someone who actually is the one in a million to have that injury and run again

Back
Top Bottom