A Great Argument for drafting TE Pitts at #3 overall | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is your choice @ #6 if not Pitts?

• Total voters
Sounds like Chase will be going to the Bengals.

Word is Burrows is pushing for Chase. Bengals better keep there QB happy.

I’ll go with the Slim Reaper.
Burrows was 3rd most sacked QB before he got destroyed and that was only by week 10. If I was Bengals FO I would be more concerned about protecting their Franchise QB. Plus Bengals already have a couple of decent WRs.

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure who to take between Chase and Smith and have questions about both that maybe some of y'all will be kind enough to answer. I have heard that Chase cannot get separation and a lot of his catches are the contested type. Is that an accurate observation? If so, why would a WR like that be considered the best WR in the class? If he can't get separation in college, will be even harder for him in the NFL? As for Smith, is he is too light? Do WRs built like him translate to the NFL? How has he faired in college against the top-level CBs? Wouldn't he be going against similar, although better prepared, CBs in the NFL? Why would the NFL be different for him if the CBs are built the same?

Last edited:
Well I'll give you that it was a head scratcher of a comment.

Not sure "catch rate" is even a meaningful stat. In general, CR drops with route depth, so while it does have some value, its not always an apples to apples comparison. Context is important, and from what I've seen, he doesn't drop many catchable balls.

I’m comparing his catch rate to our top receiver options (Chase, Waddle, Smith). He’s consistently below all 3. I’d bet he has the lowest ADOT as well. I’m on a phone now so can’t post. But I’m not sure how it’s a headscratching comment.

I’ll take all info possible into assessment (including as much context as possible which is why I asked).

Funny thing is picks 2, 4 + 5 will likely be looking at the same players ...

SEWELL, PITTS + CHASE (possibly Smith) ...

yes, JESTS ’could’ go QB or trade out of #2 and that team will select a QB, which is nearly what everyone thinks ... but if not ...

you ‘could’ say the same thing for ATL, regarding them taking a QB ... and even though their DEF was abysmal, they know the value of a special TE ... so I believe they will take PITTS, or SEWELL, or SMITH to replace Julio, or potentially trade down and go DEF ... but I don’t see them going DEF @ #4.

CIN ‘should’ be locked in on SEWELL ... they just frankly do NOT need another WR right now, and protecting the QB should be their #1 priority after last year. That being said, they ‘could’ be in love with CHASE ...

Believe ‘we’ are in love with SMITH, just like we were with TUA ... still think a trade down with DEN will still be in play, if they can’t get #2 ...

DET needs help everywhere, but most likely will grab a WR to give GOFF something ... unless SEWELL was still available, or could go PARSONS.

CAR could go several ways as well ... WR in WADDLE to replace SAMUEL, PARSONS as a KUECHLY replacement, or even QB depending on how it all plays out ... but I do NOT see them trading UP! Even though they aren’t satisfied with their QB situation ...

DEN I DO see trading up, if they can to get a QB, depending on how it goes - honestly, THIS is the team I see trading with the JESTS for #2 ... or with US ... I really thought our 2x trades were with DEN and SF ... we are just doing it in reverse order ... and maybe getting a better return ... think they are QB all the way ...

DAL ‘should’ be DEF on this pick, unless PITTS dropped

NYG ‘should‘ be DEF on their pick, unless PITTS dropped

I went with Sewell. I think he will be a pro bowl player for years like Pitts. The wrs I'm not so sure. I honestly, if Pitts and Sewell are gone and trade down isn't an option would go Harris rb from AL. Just my opinion. I'm sure many others will disagree.

I went with Sewell. I think he will be a pro bowl player for years like Pitts. The wrs I'm not so sure. I honestly, if Pitts and Sewell are gone and trade down isn't an option would go Harris rb from AL. Just my opinion. I'm sure many others will disagree.
Harris @ #6..no...trade back or even take him @ #18..he's likely still there. Not at #6!

I’m comparing his catch rate to our top receiver options (Chase, Waddle, Smith). He’s consistently below all 3. I’d bet he has the lowest ADOT as well. I’m on a phone now so can’t post. But I’m not sure how it’s a headscratching comment.

I’ll take all info possible into assessment (including as much context as possible which is why I asked).
Pitts adot was well over 8 last year, which is pretty high. Couldn't find Smith's, but given Bama's offense, heavy on RPOs and WR screems, I think you would lose that bet.

I gotta think that if Sewell is there the Bengals pull the trigger for a LT, who is by far a bigger need than WR for Burrow. You're probably right that Burrow is lobbying hard for his guy, but it would be surprising if the Bengals passed on Sewell. If they take Chase, I look for their next pick to be a LT. There certainly are good prospects at WR and LT available in round 2.

Given how dominant Ja'Marr Chase was with Burrow at LSU--best ever year by a QB and at the time one of if not the best ever year by a WR--it makes a lot of sense that they might select Chase and try to add OL talent later. Still, I think keeping Burrow upright and healthy is the cornerstone of future Bengals success ... and they must know that.
I am in agreement with you. Better to have a healthy QB with time throwing to lesser WRs than an injured QB or one with little time throwing to a great WR.

But it seems they might have a different plan.

Head coach Zac Taylor recently stated that newly signed tackle Riley Reiff would be the starting right tackle for 2021 and that Jonah Williams will be sticking to his usual spot over at left tackle. And given the reports that Joe Burrow is lobbying for Ja’Marr Chase at Pick 5, the odds of Penei Sewell coming to the Queen City have now dropped significantly.

The only team threatening to take Chase was Miami at No. 3, but that is now no longer an issue. The door is now wide open for Cincinnati to reunite that potent LSU connection that teamed up for more deep passing touchdowns than any QB-WR tandem in the PFF College era.

I am in agreement with you. Better to have a healthy QB with time throwing to lesser WRs than an injured QB or one with little time throwing to a great WR.

But it seems they might have a different plan.

Head coach Zac Taylor recently stated that newly signed tackle Riley Reiff would be the starting right tackle for 2021 and that Jonah Williams will be sticking to his usual spot over at left tackle. And given the reports that Joe Burrow is lobbying for Ja’Marr Chase at Pick 5, the odds of Penei Sewell coming to the Queen City have now dropped significantly.

The only team threatening to take Chase was Miami at No. 3, but that is now no longer an issue. The door is now wide open for Cincinnati to reunite that potent LSU connection that teamed up for more deep passing touchdowns than any QB-WR tandem in the PFF College era.
Woot! I am loving it!

Back
Top Bottom