A rare Slimm mock draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A rare Slimm mock draft

There's only 8 corners in this draft at least 6'0", and only 6 of those are draftable.

Of the 6 that are draftable, one runs 4.6.

Of the 5 left, one runs 4.44 with hips as tight as a hat band.... gave up 5 TD's in one game.

Of the 4 left, only two break the 4.5 barrier.

The two left are Xavier Rhodes and Sanders Commings.
What about Darius Slay? Didn't he run a 4.36?

Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Chance Warmack, and Jonathan Cooper are all gone by pick #42. What offensive lineman are you going to take with your first 2nd round pick?

The next batch of tackles for me are Quessenberry and Armstead with 3rd round grades. Fluker is going to be a fine player, but he's not a fit, and likely already gone anyway.

The next batch of guards for me are Hugh Thornton, Alvin Bailey, Brian Schwenke, and Eric Herman. Are you passing up elite caliber skill position talent for one of these developmental small school tackles or 2nd tier guards?

Swope is IDEAL in the slot, but he's capable of a little more than that. He runs a lot of wheel routes from the slot and ends up on the outside (on the numbers) in the hole between cornerbacks and safeties anyway. Tough, physical kid. I've seen him get blown up several times that would've put most receivers out.... Swope gets up flexing his muscles. I watched Louisiana Tech try to knock him out of the game... which they finally did on a questionable hit. Came back the next week and had 10 catches against LSU.
Kyle Long is probably in the 2nd round range, no? I think he'd be a perfect fit for Miami, but he is a LG and it would be a projection at RT. I see a lot of upside with him. I like Swope as well and teamming him with Wallace (if signed) and Eifert would be exciting. If Miami doesn't get Wallace, how does that change your draft?

Agree with the Eifert pick. I'd rather have Rambo than Reid though. Rambo is the best safety in the draft when it comes to playing center field

Kyle Long is probably in the 2nd round range, no? I think he'd be a perfect fit for Miami, but he is a LG and it would be a projection at RT. I see a lot of upside with him. I like Swope as well and teamming him with Wallace (if signed) and Eifert would be exciting. If Miami doesn't get Wallace, how does that change your draft?

First answer is I wouldn't consider Long in the 2nd round, and don't have him in that range. Secondly, Wallace wouldn't change my draft at all, as he has no impact on the talent pool I'd be selecting from in the draft.

Slimm - I'm a little bit late to the party but I like the mocks you put out. You cant address everything in one draft but your selections would more than go a long way in improving your team.

I have been on Eifert for a while as our first pick. First of he is best in TE group, he is a talent with all the measureables (physically , mentally & character), Philbin likes multiple TEs on his roster, its a position of need especially in the modern NFL. Last season we 'wedded' the new coach with a rookie QB. Now lets wed the QB with his TE.

For me the first round of a draft is about acquiring the best graded players/BPA as opposed to finding value. You can find value from round 2. That's why teams like the Ravens are forever in a day able to turn out teams with a gaggle of talent. Whereas Miami over the last decade either play it safe, try exceedingly hard to find the value player, or be too cute/clever (Ted Ginn). People say 'you are what you eat' translate that to football and 'you are what you acquire'.

I'm not sure how the FO will go in the first round but do remember that Jeff Ireland's guru Bill Parcells loved Notre Dame TEs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slimm - I'm a little bit late to the party but I like the mocks you put out. You cant address everything in one draft but your selections would more than go a long way in improving your team.

I have been on Eifert for a while as our first pick. First of he is best in TE group, he is a talent with all the measureables (physically , mentally & character), Philbin likes multiple TEs on his roster, its a position of need especially in the modern NFL. Last season we 'wedded' the new coach with a rookie QB. Now lets wed the QB with his TE.

For me the first round of a draft is about acquiring the best graded players as opposed to finding value. You can find value from round 2. That's why teams like the Ravens are forever in a day able to turn out teams with a gaggle of talent. Whereas Miami over the last decade either play it safe, try exceedingly hard to find the value player, or be too cute/clever (Ted Ginn)

I'm not sure how the FO will go in the first round but do remember that Jeff Ireland's guru Bill Parcells loved Notre Dame TEs.

No question about it. It seems like I repeat it at least a dozen times leading up to every draft... a team picking in the top 12 has to come away with a player that's undoubtably the best at that position if the opportunity presents itself. No player in this draft is more clearcut at the top of his respective position than Eifert. Only the lead Dee Milliner has over the next best CB is comparable. You draft for TALENT in the first half of the 1st round. Period. It doesn't matter what your needs are.

Secondly, tight end has become a cornerstone position, particularly when it comes to a prospect this versatile. Lastly, it fills a need.

Value shuffles towards to the top of the priority list once the elite prospects are no longer available. This point might come 15 picks into the draft, or 25 picks into the draft.

Middle linebacker has long been one of the most pressing needs that the Giants have had for years. There's no way that their defense would've been better had they passed up Pierre-Paul for Rolando McClain (had he been available) or Brandon Spikes. The latter would have filled their most pressing need, but they chose to go with talent despite their defensive line already being loaded with pass rushers.

Point being, at some point you also have to consider the importance of the two positions you're choosing from despite what your needs are. Along the same lines, you also have to consider talent despite what your needs are.

I'm a firm believer that if you don't come away with the pick that addressed... Talent>Positional Value>Value>Need, in that exact order... then you didn't succeed in your selection.

You don't draft for the upcoming season, this strategy only leads you down a road where you draft for need over talent... which is certain failure. You draft to accumulate TALENT. That's how you get competitive and stay competitive.

Thank you for the in depth positional analysis throughout the forum.... Given your high regard for Carradine (I'm in agreement) doesn't he have to be in consideration for pick #12? Considering the combination of his valuation (the #2 overall player in the draft), the impact of the position, and the satisfaction of an immediate need, I believe he should be the selection at #12. The above given that Milliner, and the 3 OL will not fall to us. My personal preference would be to fill the LT void with one of the 3 sure fire bets, but I see that being an available option.
Carradine, CB Rd2, WR Rd 2, TE Rd 3 seems like a viable alternative given the valuation of talent available in said rounds. Your thoughts always appreciated.

Thank you for the in depth positional analysis throughout the forum.... Given your high regard for Carradine (I'm in agreement) doesn't he have to be in consideration for pick #12? Considering the combination of his valuation (the #2 overall player in the draft), the impact of the position, and the satisfaction of an immediate need, I believe he should be the selection at #12. The above given that Milliner, and the 3 OL will not fall to us. My personal preference would be to fill the LT void with one of the 3 sure fire bets, but I see that being an available option.
Carradine, CB Rd2, WR Rd 2, TE Rd 3 seems like a viable alternative given the valuation of talent available in said rounds. Your thoughts always appreciated.

I think Carradine does have to be in consideration at #12. There's no question that had he finished the season uninjured, you'd consider yourself lucky to have him at #12. I think he could've legitimately went #1 overall in this draft if not for the knee injury.

The only factor at play here is determining how much you're going to allow the injury to affect grade. If you're confident he's going to return to full health, then you'd take him where you would've taken him if the injury had never even happened. However, there's always some risk involved when the knees of a pass rusher are at stake... so some element of risk has to be factored in.

If he goes out and performs at his pro day, regardless of how good the workout is 4 months removed from knee surgery.... it's time to make a decision ain't it?

Talent worthy of 12? Check.

Production worthy of 12? Check

Character worthy of 12? Most likely.

Effort/practice habits worthy of 12? Check.

Skills worthy of 12? Check.

Upside worthy of 12? Check.

Bottom line is that it boils down to the health of his knee, and how much you're going to knock him for the risk. That's it.

lost my train of thought...still taking in the fact that we are busy locking up backup qbs 3 days before free agency who have no starters market...

lost my train of thought...still taking in the fact that we are busy locking up backup qbs 3 days before free agency who have no starters market...

Excellent point.

You'll know when a team is legitimately doing things the right way. They'll be developing their own backup quarterbacks and trading them off to other teams for draft picks as opposed to paying them $4million a year.

Excellent point.

You'll know when a team is legitimately doing things the right way. They'll be developing their own backup quarterbacks and trading them off to other teams for draft picks as opposed to paying them $4million a year.

you got people doing back flips on the main forum over it...

I think we still draft a QB somewhere in this draft. Moore's deal is going to end up being a one year deal. Never bad to have a vet backup going into year two. Year two can be tough as both of you have pointed out in the past that now teams have tape on you. Hopefully Moore can help Tannehill learn from his upcoming mistakes.

Take a lesson from giants, steelers, pats, ravens... Bottom line if your starting qb goes down your season is over.. Don't waste any valuable cap space on backup QBs.. Either vet minimum or late draft picks for the backup QB position.

Back
Top Bottom