About Ginn in the 1st round... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

About Ginn in the 1st round...

Man, excellent. 'Nuff said...

thanks

I heard it and it was a revelation, I thought scouts and coaches were on the same page.

I laugh even harder when I hear about a left tackle's 40 time

Pro Day doesn't mean squat, that's hand timing. The electronic timing at the combine is what counts.

Pro Day obviously means a lot to those involved, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing them. Schools like USC and Ohio State use electronic timing devices. The reason some players skip running at the Combine is because many of them feel it's a slow running surface.

Pro Day obviously means a lot to those involved, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing them. Schools like USC and Ohio State use electronic timing devices. The reason some players skip running at the Combine is because many of them feel it's a slow running surface.

No you're right, I shoulda said 40 times at the pro day don't mean much beacause that was what I was referring to. Every year I just see such a discrepancy between combine 40 times and pro day 40 times. Also, the combine is the only place we get to see everyone on the same surface, whether it is slow or not doesn't matter as long as everyone is running in the same place.

No, I was saying the likelihood of his becoming as good of those guys is incredibly small. Ginn's speed is why everyone loves him. Watch his highlights, they are mostly punt and kick returns. You don't spend the #9 pick on a kick returner. Chamber is just as fast as Ginn with his 4.3 40 time. But clearly that speed doesn't always translate to becoming a Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison. We have greater needs. I'd like Ginn at maybe the bottom 1/3 of the 1st round... but not at the #9. WR position as it is, is an incredible risk in rd 1 (see previous links). Especially drafting an unpolished WR with average hands as Ginn, whose main positives are he is ridiculously fast and shifty... in the NFL that speed will not translate into as much of an asset. EVERYone is fast in the NFL.
LOL. Chris Chambers is not as fast as Ginn. No one in the NFL is as fast as Ginn. That, my friend, is the basis of his appeal. Yes, other speed players haver failed, but not one of them will be the fastest player in every game that he participates in, like Ted Ginn.

LOL. Chris Chambers is not as fast as Ginn. No one in the NFL is as fast as Ginn. That, my friend, is the basis of his appeal. Yes, other speed players haver failed, but not one of them will be the fastest player in every game that he participates in, like Ted Ginn.

I actually heard Ted Ginn is faster than God too.

I actually heard Ted Ginn is faster than God too.

I bet like 4 years ago(or whenever Darrel Green was 40), he could have kept up with Ginn. And I would be willing to bet there are NFL players as fast as Ginn. Then again, God is probably pretty fast, and if Ginn can beat him...:shakeno:

No you're right, I shoulda said 40 times at the pro day don't mean much beacause that was what I was referring to. Every year I just see such a discrepancy between combine 40 times and pro day 40 times. Also, the combine is the only place we get to see everyone on the same surface, whether it is slow or not doesn't matter as long as everyone is running in the same place.

Exactly why the combine should be mandatory.

I would love Ginn to be a Dolphin. Do I think he is a great receiver, No. Personally don't think he was best WR on Ohio State. But he can fly. On special teams he is worth a pick on that alone. The guy just changes field position. Reallly shows up on big games. One miss and he is gone.

Welker did a good job running kicks back but he isn't in Ginn's league. Personally think Welker is a better receiver but it's been a long time since Miami has had a dangerous threat returning kicks and with our defense and forcing teams to punt Ginn would be a difference maker and a lot of fun to watch him in action. He will get better as a WR, but can't pass up that kind of speed and talent. If you haven't watched him during his career and base things on the Florida game where he got hurt than you've missed an amazing talent.

I would love Ginn to be a Dolphin. Do I think he is a great receiver, No. Personally don't think he was best WR on Ohio State. But he can fly. On special teams he is worth a pick on that alone. The guy just changes field position. Reallly shows up on big games. One miss and he is gone.

Welker did a good job running kicks back but he isn't in Ginn's league. Personally think Welker is a better receiver but it's been a long time since Miami has had a dangerous threat returning kicks and with our defense and forcing teams to punt Ginn would be a difference maker and a lot of fun to watch him in action. He will get better as a WR, but can't pass up that kind of speed and talent. If you haven't watched him during his career and base things on the Florida game where he got hurt than you've missed an amazing talent.

You can pass up that kind of talent at #9. You don't take a special teamer as a top ten pick. Most GMs wouldn't even suggest doing it in the 1st round, let alone 2nd. Ginn is worth like the 15th pick at best. He's not that good of a WR and it will be a couple years before his game will be refined enough for him to have a significant impact on a play by play basis.

Smart post. Very reasonable. Yet, I'm not looking for the next Jerry Rice in Ted Ginn Jr. I'm looking for the next Reggie Bush/Devin Hester- guys who touch the football a limited number of times but the majority of those times it's a game changing play.

I think Ginn Jr will be one of those player who averages a touchdown a game all by himself, whether it's a kick/punt return, reverse, screen, slant across the middle, or a simple go route. For a team that averaged 16 points a game and seemed allergic to the endzone, Ginn might be the playmaker this franchise needs.

Ofcourse, if Quinn falls to 9, it's automatic.

Smart post. Very reasonable. Yet, I'm not looking for the next Jerry Rice in Ted Ginn Jr. I'm looking for the next Reggie Bush/Devin Hester- guys who touch the football a limited number of times but the majority of those times it's a game changing play.

I think Ginn Jr will be one of those player who averages a touchdown a game all by himself, whether it's a kick/punt return, reverse, screen, slant across the middle, or a simple go route. For a team that averaged 16 points a game and seemed allergic to the endzone, Ginn might be the playmaker this franchise needs.

Ofcourse, if Quinn falls to 9, it's automatic.

I'd easily bet right now Ginn doesn't have anywhere close to 16 TDs next season. He'll be lucky to get 8.

I'd easily bet right now Ginn doesn't have anywhere close to 16 TDs next season. He'll be lucky to get 8.

Pffft, he'll easily have 20. He has speed, what else do you need?

You can pass up that kind of talent at #9. You don't take a special teamer as a top ten pick. Most GMs wouldn't even suggest doing it in the 1st round, let alone 2nd. Ginn is worth like the 15th pick at best. He's not that good of a WR and it will be a couple years before his game will be refined enough for him to have a significant impact on a play by play basis.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that if a GM knew the type of damage Devin Hester was going to make this year as a "special teamer" they would have let him fall to the 2nd round?

Route running, technique, these things can be taught, practiced, refined. Speed, agility, you can't teach those things. You can't learn those things. You can't learn those freak moves Reggie Bush makes on hall of fame players like Brian Urlacher and you certainly can't practice the speed in which Bush ran away(not just out ran but literaly hit the freagin NAS button) from Urlacher after the move along with the 3 other Bear DBS who each ran 4.4s(I assume everyone knows the play I'm speaking of in the playoffs).

That's why I laugh at comparisons between Reggie Bush and Ronnie Brown because while Brown is a solid, maybe even great future RB, he couldn't hold Bush's jock strp with a forklift.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that if a GM knew the type of damage Devin Hester was going to make this year as a "special teamer" they would have let him fall to the 2nd round?

Route running, technique, these things can be taught, practiced, refined. Speed, agility, you can't teach those things. You can't learn those things. You can't learn those freak moves Reggie Bush makes on hall of fame players like Brian Urlacher and you certainly can't practice the speed in which Bush ran away(not just out ran but literaly hit the freagin NAS button) from Urlacher after the move along with the 3 other Bear DBS who each ran 4.4s(I assume everyone knows the play I'm speaking of in the playoffs).

That's why I laugh at comparisons between Reggie Bush and Ronnie Brown because while Brown is a solid, maybe even great future RB, he couldn't hold Bush's jock strp with a forklift.

We weren't talking about Reggie Bush though, Ginn doesn't have half the explosiveness that Bush does. You don't spend a top 10 pick on a special teams guy.

Back
Top Bottom