According to Ross, Leonte Carroo was the second-rated receiver on the board for Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Ross, Leonte Carroo was the second-rated receiver on the board for Miami

There is no question Caroo was not a reach at the end of the 3rd round. He is a sub 4.5 guy who had great production in College, and catches everything thrown at him. He was only available in the 3rd round because he was suspended for a domestic violence arrest, that was later dropped. Every website that graded players for the draft had 2-3 round grade on him.

The reach was what we did to get back in the 3rd round. To give up 3 draft picks was a reach, as I don't think its a good idea to mortgage next years draft picks for any reason. This has nothing to do with Leonte.

I don't think taking a WR in the 3rd round was a bad move for Miami. Gase's offense constantly uses 3-4 WR sets, and Kenny Stills is not locked in at anything. He only had 27 catches for 440 yards with 3tds last season, and if he doesn't improve probably won't be here next year. Not to mention you have to assume there will be injuries, and we had nothing on our roster after the top 3 guys who would be a viable replacement.

this is dead on

There is no question Caroo was not a reach at the end of the 3rd round. He is a sub 4.5 guy who had great production in College, and catches everything thrown at him. He was only available in the 3rd round because he was suspended for a domestic violence arrest, that was later dropped. Every website that graded players for the draft had 2-3 round grade on him.

The reach was what we did to get back in the 3rd round. To give up 3 draft picks was a reach, as I don't think its a good idea to mortgage next years draft picks for any reason. This has nothing to do with Leonte.

I don't think taking a WR in the 3rd round was a bad move for Miami. Gase's offense constantly uses 3-4 WR sets, and Kenny Stills is not locked in at anything. He only had 27 catches for 440 yards with 3tds last season, and if he doesn't improve probably won't be here next year. Not to mention you have to assume there will be injuries, and we had nothing on our roster after the top 3 guys who would be a viable replacement.

Agreed on the ransom given.

Drake is the questionable pick. I would have taken Carroo with the Drake pick and waited to get Drake in round 5 where he should have gone. But Gase must have really been high on drake for them to do this. Lets see what Gase has in mind.

Nothing against Carroo as I hope he turns out to be the 2nd best WR of this draft. However, that Miami felt the need to draft a WR shows how MORONIC the owner and those calling the shots really are.

They could have just resigned Rishard Matthews to a relatively inexpensive contract (3 years, $15 mil, $5 mil guaranteed is what the Titans paid) when letting him go created a need (based on their actions) in which the decision-makers deemed in necessary to mortgage the future?

Tannehill whom struggles to makes plays put up the following numbers when throwing to Matthews:
43 of 61, 70.49%, 662 yards, 15.4 ypc, 10.85 ypa, 4 TD, 1 int...121.07 QB rating

Tannehill's numbers when throwing to everyone not named Matthews:
320 of 525, 60.95%, 3,606 yards, 11.26 ypc, 6.86 ypa, 20 TD, 11 int...85.46 QB rating

So in looking at the big picture, the decision-makers let the player Tannehill had most success throwing to walk when that player is just entering what should be his prime (26 years old) and then spent a 3rd, 4th and 6th to "try" and replace him...F'ing clueless MORONS running this team.

This franchise has turned into the blueprint for how NOT to build a winning franchise.

This is a great post. Agree 100%. Poor use of resourses. Could have done this so much smarter.

esp if they were so high on him they should have took him over Drake. I just dont get the panicking to move up but if it works out nobody will care.
I dont want to hear about well we have supplemental to replace the picks because you could have used those picks next year also

so in essence you are saying they traded up AND they reached in the process...sound stuff on day 2 I must say

:lol: whatev

better than reaching for a CB in the first round like you wanted to do instead of taking best player available.

better than reaching for a CB in the first round like you wanted to do instead of taking best player available.

yes he was very much a reach...so much so that a non ideal scheme fit team based on tools and upside took him at 10 and the first corner in the class even...

don't you got better things to do than bust my balls with constant utter nonsense?

For those not convinced about Carroo, some facts. The aim isn't to change your mind, but hopefully give some context as to why some of us are very high on this kid:

1) Averages just shy of 20yds per completion in his Big10/12 college career. He only had two games in his junior and senior college career where he registered under 10yds per completion. (Odell Beckham Jr. averaged 16.4yds per completion in the SEC, for instance - just a random comparison). Achieved this despite being the clear No. 1 receiver and being thrown to by Gary Nova and Hayden Rettig.
2) Averaged a TD per game in his college career. (ODB averaged 0.35 TDs per game - please note this is just a random example of a top receiver)
3) Total of 3 drops in his entire college career. This guy has unbelievable hands (just under 10" in size), in part because he works like a demon on being a reliable catcher - 100 balls on juggs machine every day and plunges his hands into buckets of sand to toughen them. (ODB had a 6.4% drop rate in college, which apparently is average)
4) 6ft and 211lbs. Very physical. Extremely tough physique in excellent condition.
5) 4.4x speed in the 40yd. Posted a Combine 4.5 but wasn't fully recovered from ankle sprain at Senior Bowl. Tape shows plenty of long speed.
6) Route running. Kid runs excellent routes, sells them really well with good body and head moves. Was highlighted by almost every scout at Senior Bowl practices as among the best route runners in the group. Knows how to use his speed and physicality to get separation. Only needs a small window anyway as his catch ability is so good.
7) Team captain and workaholic. Had a short suspension for a team violation and a longer one pending the outcome of an assault charge, of which he was exonerated after video evidence was produced.
8) Blocking. One of the most committed and best downfield blockers in football. This kid takes it seriously and is rarely found wanting.

His lateral fluidity isn't on a par with the ODBs or Watkins and he doesn't have the length of a Bryant or Parker or Evans, but he has a superb all round game and the track record of having done it consistently in the Big10 with waaaay above average production, on a poor team with pretty poor QBs.

These stories just confuse me. If we traded up for a CB but then traded up for a WR who was their 2nd rated at the position is that still going for BPA? Because that seems to be all they talked about when we took Tunsil and wouldn't staying put rather than trading up and trading away future picks (banking they're going to get comp picks which won't be a 3rd and 4th...I bet we get a 3rd and 5th next year in comp picks) be more of a BPA scenario?

Miami (NO team ) goes pure BPA. Yes, they have a board, but that board isn't a 'typical' BPA board. First, Howard may or may not have been Miami's BPA. More likely, Gase/VJ wanted a day 1 starting CB and, after selecting Tunsil, that was R2 or never. Miami's public draft discussion was going by THEIR board (and in my prior sentence, I showed why that didn't work either).

Nonetheless, every team has unique qualities they want in draftees. Miami (VJ) wants BIG CBs thus, they're ranked higher than short guys. A team running a 3-4 has different needs at DE than a 4-3, thus different rankings. That's why it's difficult a grade a draft - no one knows any team's board. Is it coincidence 3 of Miami's picks were receivers, 4 if you count Drake? I think not.

reminds me of a faster version of muhammed sanu...similar body type a little better long speed

Wasn't Sanu another Rutgers alum? I would say Carroo's floor is Sanu and his ceiling is Roddy White.

The other aspect of this is Carroo was another team captain. This leadership, or "alpha player", seems to be highly coveted by our staff. We picked up a lot of team leaders and team captains in our draft and UDFA class. The work ethic/love of the game, can make the 5th or 6th best player jump over a few guys.

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THE picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake wouold have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THEN picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake would have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THE picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake wouold have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THEN picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake would have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

Just a guess, but draft strategy is a lot like poker. Yes, there is talent and skill,but there's also the part about 'reading' the opposition and trying to guess their hand by tell-tale gestures. There's the part about knowing the opposition from previous games and knowing if they're aggressive or not. In the NFL, it's knowing the opposition, knowing the type of players they like, their needs, and the way they structure their boards. Did 'baum/Gase think a team above them would take Carroo? Obviously so. If not, no reason to move up. were they right? That's a different question. Same with Drake and others. They knew there had been a run or CBs. Did they expect one on RBs? Again, no one knows. This isn't just a player ranking event. It's poker. It's chess. It's making decisions with insufficient info. Personally, I'm ALWAYS against trading up. In this case, Carroo gets a lot of praise. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Leonte Caroo was a gem on a terrible team and despite the fact that he was the centerpiece of their offense he still managed to get 20yds a reception. He is simply a playmaker and I don't expect anything less at the NFL level. He will fill the void that Rishard Matthews left when we stupidly let him get away.

Back
Top Bottom