According to Ross, Leonte Carroo was the second-rated receiver on the board for Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Ross, Leonte Carroo was the second-rated receiver on the board for Miami

Wasn't Sanu another Rutgers alum? I would say Carroo's floor is Sanu and his ceiling is Roddy White.

I misread that at first lol I saw White as his ceiling lol. I personally think Sanu is his ceiling which wouldnt be horrible for a 3rd round pick
Im not saying he is the same player as Sanu just the production ceiling

For those not convinced about Carroo, some facts. The aim isn't to change your mind, but hopefully give some context as to why some of us are very high on this kid:

1) Averages just shy of 20yds per completion in his Big10/12 college career. He only had two games in his junior and senior college career where he registered under 10yds per completion. (Odell Beckham Jr. averaged 16.4yds per completion in the SEC, for instance - just a random comparison). Achieved this despite being the clear No. 1 receiver and being thrown to by Gary Nova and Hayden Rettig.
2) Averaged a TD per game in his college career. (ODB averaged 0.35 TDs per game - please note this is just a random example of a top receiver)
3) Total of 3 drops in his entire college career. This guy has unbelievable hands (just under 10" in size), in part because he works like a demon on being a reliable catcher - 100 balls on juggs machine every day and plunges his hands into buckets of sand to toughen them. (ODB had a 6.4% drop rate in college, which apparently is average)
4) 6ft and 211lbs. Very physical. Extremely tough physique in excellent condition.
5) 4.4x speed in the 40yd. Posted a Combine 4.5 but wasn't fully recovered from ankle sprain at Senior Bowl. Tape shows plenty of long speed.
6) Route running. Kid runs excellent routes, sells them really well with good body and head moves. Was highlighted by almost every scout at Senior Bowl practices as among the best route runners in the group. Knows how to use his speed and physicality to get separation. Only needs a small window anyway as his catch ability is so good.
7) Team captain and workaholic. Had a short suspension for a team violation and a longer one pending the outcome of an assault charge, of which he was exonerated after video evidence was produced.
8) Blocking. One of the most committed and best downfield blockers in football. This kid takes it seriously and is rarely found wanting.

His lateral fluidity isn't on a par with the ODBs or Watkins and he doesn't have the length of a Bryant or Parker or Evans, but he has a superb all round game and the track record of having done it consistently in the Big10 with waaaay above average production, on a poor team with pretty poor QBs.

Sounds like a bigger Steve Smith.

Wasn't Sanu another Rutgers alum? I would say Carroo's floor is Sanu and his ceiling is Roddy White.

well a faster sanu isn't a bad thing but people have to understand sanus production is heavily scheme driven or it was in cinci...that's not to say he didn't have a skill set cause he did but it was more jack of many trades than master of any type...they used him on wildcat they used him in the slot (keeping in mind that in cinci unlike in Miami they didn't have a top shelf alpha type slot wr they must make touches for)

I think caroos a better talent than sanu but I don't know that I see roddy white like boundary upside...caroo can separate in short areas on the boundary but if you get a roddy white in his prime technician you will have bought yourself another alpha

I personally think roddy white was more smooth not as rough around the edges as caroo...a little more gifted but some of that may be the rb like build painting a different picture

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THE picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake wouold have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Am I missing something here or could the Dolphins have drafted Caroo with their 3rd round pick & THEN picked Drake in the 4th round? Seems like Drake would have been there in the 4th AND the Dolphins would not have had to trade the other picks. :ponder:

Didn't have a 4th round pick. Traded the 4th to move up and draft Howard in the second. I think it was simply that they drafted who they wanted in Drake, but really liked Carroo. When the trade opportunity presented itself later for Carroo they jumped at it so they could add Carrooo too. Based on team need they likely felt going into the third round that if they walked out with only one player they wanted that player to be a Drake because he provides help in both the running and passing game.

Leonte Caroo was a gem on a terrible team and despite the fact that he was the centerpiece of their offense he still managed to get 20yds a reception. He is simply a playmaker and I don't expect anything less at the NFL level. He will fill the void that Rishard Matthews left when we stupidly let him get away.

There was nothing stupid about letting Matthews go. Matthews wanted more playing time, more money and a fresh start. He wasn't guaranteed to get any of that in Miami.

Not sure I'd call it a "strong" opinion. It's just an opinion. I think Carroo separates better than Landry with everything else being equal or similar.

I guess I meant the statement it's self is strong, but man, if you're right...we're in for a treat!

There was nothing stupid about letting Matthews go. Matthews wanted more playing time, more money and a fresh start. He wasn't guaranteed to get any of that in Miami.

I think these are fair points that some people don't consider, Matthews said almost from the beginning he doubted he would come back. This goes for other players as well and some of us said it at FA time, I doubt Shelby for instance had any desire in returning.

For those not convinced about Carroo, some facts. The aim isn't to change your mind, but hopefully give some context as to why some of us are very high on this kid:

1) Averages just shy of 20yds per completion in his Big10/12 college career. He only had two games in his junior and senior college career where he registered under 10yds per completion. (Odell Beckham Jr. averaged 16.4yds per completion in the SEC, for instance - just a random comparison). Achieved this despite being the clear No. 1 receiver and being thrown to by Gary Nova and Hayden Rettig.
2) Averaged a TD per game in his college career. (ODB averaged 0.35 TDs per game - please note this is just a random example of a top receiver)
3) Total of 3 drops in his entire college career. This guy has unbelievable hands (just under 10" in size), in part because he works like a demon on being a reliable catcher - 100 balls on juggs machine every day and plunges his hands into buckets of sand to toughen them. (ODB had a 6.4% drop rate in college, which apparently is average)
4) 6ft and 211lbs. Very physical. Extremely tough physique in excellent condition.
5) 4.4x speed in the 40yd. Posted a Combine 4.5 but wasn't fully recovered from ankle sprain at Senior Bowl. Tape shows plenty of long speed.
6) Route running. Kid runs excellent routes, sells them really well with good body and head moves. Was highlighted by almost every scout at Senior Bowl practices as among the best route runners in the group. Knows how to use his speed and physicality to get separation. Only needs a small window anyway as his catch ability is so good.
7) Team captain and workaholic. Had a short suspension for a team violation and a longer one pending the outcome of an assault charge, of which he was exonerated after video evidence was produced.
8) Blocking. One of the most committed and best downfield blockers in football. This kid takes it seriously and is rarely found wanting.

His lateral fluidity isn't on a par with the ODBs or Watkins and he doesn't have the length of a Bryant or Parker or Evans, but he has a superb all round game and the track record of having done it consistently in the Big10 with waaaay above average production, on a poor team with pretty poor QBs.

Thanks! Other than being excited about the usual things like his decent speed, route running, and hands, I am really happy to see your comments on his blocking. IMO, that may be one of the reasons why we graded him higher than some others with similar WR traits. I know I have said it before, but I believe our WR blocking is going to be key this year. If we can get it going it could be a huge boost to our offensive productivity.

Back
Top Bottom