Adam Schefter: NO RB for Miami (Take Two) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Schefter: NO RB for Miami (Take Two)

Explain why Chicago is projected to take Benson, reguardless if Brown is there or not??? All 3 of these RB's are VERY close, Benson/Brown being slightly ahead of Caddy. I am prepared to "eat crow" as alot of you like to call it tomorrow if we take Brown, will you do the same? I believe there is a strong possibility we trade down and select an RB but i DO NOT think we take Brown at #2 and I will definately stick by that. Our argument has been about taking Braylon Edwards or Ronnie Brown at #2, not whether Miami goes a different route and trades down. I say again, we do not take Ronnie Brown at #2.

Turner is said to LOVE Benson- he wants a workhorse back that will carry the ball 30 times per game.

Yeah, which in some ways makes Benson have alot more value. In some ways Brown has more value, ex. (better catching) but neither of these 2 backs completely seperate themselves from the other.

KB21 said:
Well, if it makes you feel good to think you know more about this than I do, go ahead and think that. You will find out tomorrow that Miami will either take Ronnie Brown or one of the other two running backs via a trade down.
very good point. no way we take RB at #2. price tag for an RB at #2 is not worth it.

Awsi Dooger said:
Yeah, imagine the idiocy of running the ball 30 times a game. Does anyone here even bother to check out basic NFL stats? Linehan has already proven he has plenty of base pantyhose idiocy with his 387 rushing attempts last season. You give him a Ronnie Brown and that's even more reason for the suicidal swing passes that end up with a losing resume like this: 24 rushing attempts, 37 passes for 212 yards. We can look forward to a top 10 pick every year with numbers like that. Why do you think Mike Tice is on record as saying he wants to get back more to the running game? It's not just the absence of Randy Moss. Linehan's offense is too soft and therefore not suited to consistent or playoff success and Tice knows that.

Again, not true. Linehan was also the offensive coordinator in 2002 and 2003.

2002:
473 rushing attempts - 8th in the NFL
2,507 yards - 1st in the NFL

2003:
493 rushing attempts - 7th in the NFL
2,343 yards - 4th in the NFL

This isn't Marc Trestman we are talking about here. Last year, the 387 rushing attempts, or however many it was, was due to the injuries they had at the tailback position. First, Bennett got hurt, then Smith was suspended.

Linehan bases his offense off Joe Gibbs's offense, which is a two tight end, power running offense.

Phinfan31 said:
Yeah, which in some ways makes Benson have alot more value. In some ways Brown has more value, ex. (better catching) but neither of these 2 backs completely seperate themselves from the other.

But somehow, Braylon Edwards has separated himself from those backs? If anything, Braylon's narcisistic attitude should place him squarely behind those running backs.

Again, I say this. If you give me the choice of LaDainian Tomlinson or Terrell Owens, I will take LaDainian Tomlinson everyday and twice on Sunday. He's a lot more valuable.

Phinfan31 said:
I dont think you understand. Nick Saban is CHANGING our offense. Thats why he hired Scott Linehan. Linehan DOES NOT need a franchise RB to make his offensive scheme work. He uses a 3 WR/1 TE set. Our committee of RB's (Gordon, Minor, Morris) will be just fine running the ball, with such WRs as Chambers/Edwards/Booker/Mcmichael the defense would never be able to cover everyone. Like I said, I think we take a RB in the 2nd round due to the deep RB class this year. You're in for a disappointment tomorrow, we will not draft Ronnie Brown, by the way...he is not proven as the best RB in this draft...why do you think the mocks have us going a diff route than RB and chicago takes Benson instead of Brown???

WR is the deepest in the draft not RB. There is a huge dropoff after the top 3 RB's. Why draft Braylon when he will only touch the ball 1-10 times a game. Ronnie Brown with his catching abil could run 15-25 times or more, and catch 1-5 times or more a game. Thats way more then what Braylon will bring.

Many more WR's in the draft in the lower rounds with some great talent also. How many RB's in this draft are a WR and RB threat all in one? And by WR threat I mean abil to be split out wide to the WR position, not catching out of the backfield.

Ronnie Brown will get the ball way more then a WR would. So he should be taken over Braylon.

KB21 said:
Well, if it makes you feel good to think you know more about this than I do, go ahead and think that. You will find out tomorrow that Miami will either take Ronnie Brown or one of the other two running backs via a trade down.

Our argument has been about taking Braylon Edwards at #2 or Ronnie Brown IF WE STAY THERE. I said Braylon is the better option, you said Ronnie. Dont change it around entirely to favor you. I never said that we wouldnt do that, but if we stay at #2 Smith or Edwards is who we will pick, not Brown.

Again, i'm really fine with Edwards, Smith or Brown. I still look at this team and the big picture of 2-3 years down the road, and any of those three will be a major contributor at that point, but after watching a highlight package tonight on Ronnie Brown, a few runs from the TB position that we know about, but he came out of the backfield for a Touchdown grab over a Linebacker, he lined up in the slot for a quick hit first down of about 5 yds, and then as a lead blocker for Cadallac, he flattened either a linebacker of safety and finished the play by pancaking this guy out of bounds. It was VERY impressive and I realized this guy on our team would give us our own LT. He's as close to Thomlinson as there has been since LT came out.

KB21 said:
Again, not true. Linehan was also the offensive coordinator in 2002 and 2003.

2002:
473 rushing attempts - 8th in the NFL
2,507 yards - 1st in the NFL

2003:
393 rushing attempts - 7th in the NFL
2,343 yards - 4th in the NFL

This isn't Marc Trestman we are talking about here. Last year, the 387 rushing attempts, or however many it was, was due to the injuries they had at the tailback position. First, Bennett got hurt, then Smith was suspended.

Linehan bases his offense off Joe Gibbs's offense, which is a two tight end, power running offense.

OK, I see what you're saying. I looked up Minnesota in my Excel workbooks and you're right; the rushing attempts were fine in 2002 and 2003. Actually perfect. Anything just shy or just above 30 attempts per game is ideal, based on the research my friends and I have done.

That 393 number you used for 2003 is wrong. It should be 493. There was no way 393 was #7 in the league, closer to #30. But I doublechecked my 493 number with a statistical website and 493 is correct.

I'm still a bit troubled Linehan could plunge so far, to 387, last year. A respected coordinator should have realized that was too drastic an alteration. As I've posted before, 85% of NFL games are won by the team with the most rushing attempts. One of these days I'll look at Minnesota game-by-game to try to figure out what happened last year.

Awsi Dooger said:
OK, I see what you're saying. I looked up Minnesota in my Excel workbooks and you're right; the rushing attempts were fine in 2002 and 2003. Actually perfect. Anything just shy or just above 30 attempts per game is ideal, based on the research my friends and I have done.

That 393 number you used for 2003 is wrong. It should be 493. There was no way 393 was #7 in the league, closer to #30. But I doublechecked my 493 number with a statistical website and 493 is correct.

I'm still a bit troubled Linehan could plunge so far, to 387, last year. A respected coordinator should have realized that was too drastic an alteration. As I've posted before, 85% of NFL games are won by the team with the most rushing attempts. One of these days I'll look at Minnesota game-by-game to try to figure out what happened last year.

I know. That was a typo. I just noticed it myself and changed it. That's what happens when you type with the lights off and your stomach growling. I just made a quick trip to Wendy's.

KB21 said:
I know. That was a typo. I just noticed it myself and changed it. That's what happens when you type with the lights off and your stomach growling. I just made a quick trip to Wendy's.

Sounds like a winning idea. I'm debating between Wendy's and a pizza. BTW, Wendy's is safe again. That finger-in-the-chili-bowl episode was a fraud. The woman who claimed it is under arrest. No word on other body parts.

Awsi Dooger said:
Sounds like a winning idea. I'm debating between Wendy's and a pizza. BTW, Wendy's is safe again. That finger-in-the-chili-bowl episode was a fraud. The woman who claimed it is under arrest. No word on other body parts.

Eww talk about more then you payed for! :roflmao:

Awsi Dooger said:

I got back just in time. It started pouring rain about 5 minutes after I got back in.

I'm watching an ESPN Classic thing on Pat Tillman right now. Really puts things into perspective.

Anyone on this Mediterranean Diet? I'm trying it. Of course, it's off this weekend due to the draft. I find that I stay hungry on this diet.

I got to lose a little bit of weight though. I weighed 226 lbs during spring break. That may not sound like much, but I'm only 5'8" tall.

KB21 said:
I got back just in time. It started pouring rain about 5 minutes after I got back in.

I'm watching an ESPN Classic thing on Pat Tillman right now. Really puts things into perspective.

Anyone on this Mediterranean Diet? I'm trying it. Of course, it's off this weekend due to the draft. I find that I stay hungry on this diet.

I got to lose a little bit of weight though. I weighed 226 lbs during spring break. That may not sound like much, but I'm only 5'8" tall.

Crap now you guys made me hungry!

:D

Back
Top Bottom