Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse

So its legal to whoop a kid with a stick? But leaving marks with said stick is illegal? WTF do you think is going to happen!??!?

We've already seen the entire gamut of what makes this such a complex issue in this thread:
Corporal punishment is archaic.
I'm OK with whooping kids, but a four year old???
Whooping is OK as long as there is a cool down period.
I think whoopings should only be done in the heat of the moment.
The cool down is the worst!!! Kids should not have to live in fear like that!!!
Whooping might be OK, depending on the choice of weapon.

Its a fascinating subject. And its an interesting case that may end up being decided in the supreme court. I obviously don't know all of the details but in a state where its still legal to "switch" kids in school (I can't even believe that still exists) if Peterson crossed the line, he's barely across it and a simple warning might have been prudent in this instance. Anyway....

As long as we're sharing stories... we were on our way to town and picked up the mail on the way. The mail had one of those packages of books that you would only be charged for if you didn't return it. My brother asked if he could open it and my dad said no. He opened it anyway. So my dad calmly asks "do you want your spanking now or when we get back home?" Two minutes later we're pulled off on the side of the highway...

Sick decision for a 6 year old eh?

Again, I think the lawyer through his statement put his foot in his mouth asserting that Peterson's over the top corporal punishment was a learned behavior. His father was a federal criminal, arrested by the FBI and sentenced to 10 years incarceration when he was 13 years old - old enough to have reinforced certain behaviors. . In this good interview with AP, he actually indicates that he wasn't surprised his father was involved in criminal activities when arrested, figuring that there'd be no way he could financially indulge the way he did based on his circumstances, and that his actual arrest caused AP to make some poor choices himself. Again, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, especially when certain negative behaviors are presented to a child at a young age and inculcated as normal.

Link here for the interview:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/adrian-peterson-father-sentenced-10-202742118.html

So apparently those pictures were a week after the fact. A week of healing and the kids legs are still cut and marked up. Not good for AP at all.

Spanking your kid or a nun rapping knuckles with a ruler, that's one thing.

Hitting your kid in the face, beating him until he has cuts that require medical attention, and getting his genitals because you were careless with the switch you were beating the **** out of him with?

He won't be banned for life, because he's too good of a football player, but he should be.

Medical attention? Get real. Those look like simple scratches. Maybe put a little alcohol on there and perhaps a small bandage or two and go back out in the yard and play.

Medical attention? Get real. Those look like simple scratches. Maybe put a little alcohol on there and perhaps a small bandage or two and go back out in the yard and play.

The kids not gonna die from the cuts, but an adult beating a kid to the point where cuts and bruises are still there a week later is just flat out wrong.

The kids not gonna die from the cuts, but an adult beating a kid to the point where cuts and bruises are still there a week later is just flat out wrong.

Not only is the kid not going to die, the kid was not even injured. He was not even mildly injured. A few bruises and some scratches. That is what a switch does.

Whatever poor choice the kid made which Peterson was correcting, hopefully the kid will not make that choice again. That is the point of the punishment.

Not only is the kid not going to die, the kid was not even injured. He was not even mildly injured. A few bruises and some scratches. That is what a switch does.

Whatever poor choice the kid made which Peterson was correcting, hopefully the kid will not make that choice again. That is the point of the punishment.

If thats what a switch does, it shouldnt be an acceptable form of punishment. There are a plethora of ways to punish your kid without leaving cuts and bruises.

There is a thin line between discipline and abuse and AP crossed it.
I am not against corporal punishment, Cuban parents dont mess around and I get spanked on the ass with a belt or the chancleta(sandal). But it was never anything more than that, and I learned my lesson.

The photos were taken a week after the beating. It was probably alot worse.

AP also hit his kid in the scrotum and face (not pictured) there. I'm sorry, but he absolutely crossed the line.

water-boarding... :chuckle:

As good as water-boarding is for getting the right story out the little brats, I prefer head shaving as punishment. Especially effective with girls.

AP also hit his kid in the scrotum and face (not pictured) there. I'm sorry, but he absolutely crossed the line.

My sense is he didn't intentionally hit him in the scrotum or face. I've witnessed many whoopings in my time and anybody that knows anything about whoopings knows they don't always go according to plan. Kids run, they squirm, they fight back, all of which results in a "worse" whooping. If the kid decides to run and trips and falls down some stairs does that become child abuse at that point?

I've decided to not whoop my kid as a form a form of punishment. Not because I'm against corporal punishment per say (don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other) but because I know its a slippery slope from a planned nice and controlled whooping to a full on vicious assault.

My sense is he didn't intentionally hit him in the scrotum or face. I've witnessed many whoopings in my time and anybody that knows anything about whoopings knows they don't always go according to plan. Kids run, they squirm, they fight back, all of which results in a "worse" whooping. If the kid decides to run and trips and falls down some stairs does that become child abuse at that point?

I've decided to not whoop my kid as a form a form of punishment. Not because I'm against corporal punishment per say (don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other) but because I know its a slippery slope from a planned nice and controlled whooping to a full on vicious assault.

That comparison makes zero sense.

OK, as I said in the other thread, there are some things I am reading that indicate this case could be more troubling than I initially thought.

The stuffing of leaves in the kid's mouth and the special room are a bit disturbing. I will wait until all of the facts come out before drawing a conclusion on this one. I have no issues with parents spanking their kids, but this is starting to sound like some kind of sick ritual for AP. I donno.

Again, I wish we didnt even know about this **** at all. Just show the games.

249941924_66a0aec8f7-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom