After Watching Two Games, Who Makes The Final 53? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Watching Two Games, Who Makes The Final 53?

Yep.

its Howard/Rowe/Minkah as your primary boundary options but I truly don’t believe you will see Minkah out there much unless X goes down. . . And they like Wiltz a lot to potentially get nickel snaps while Minkah does his thing in that NE Rover look. I guess you also have McCain in the mix.

That boundary spot after Rowe is up for grabs, and Needham was given a golden opportunity and wet the bed.

Howard/Rowe/Fitzpatrick/Wiltz

Jones/Mcdonald/McCain/Aikens

They have room for what I’m guessing is 3 or even 4 more DBs with the amount of nickel/dime looks they want to give.
Needham is probably a practice squad guy. Disappointing in preseason, but a lot of positive talk in training camp.

Problem is any good lineman get released they will probably get snatched before MIA’s slot, unless you trade maybe a late pick...
Rather than a draft pick maybe a wide receiver or a tight end on the bubble. Miami has some depth there. Not sure what a player like Ford could bring in return, but maybe along those lines.

I'm OK with cutting trading everyone 28 or older excluding Kilgore
and Fitz. Best way to get better for the future is to use this developmental
year focused on youth. In addition, that strategy helps us win by losing
(which so many are in favor of).

Beyond that, I expect Flores to have certain positional priorities penned
for developmental focus -- starting with DBs. So we keep more around.
OL is so thin I think we rely on the street for backups and hope pray we
stay healthy there. But no reason to carry players we can readily buy at
Wal-Mart.

I think we also focus on DL group. And of course we have some nice
material to work with @WR. I wouldn't be surprised if we move on from
McMillan but I doubt they'd just cut him. Any bidders @R4-R5 and he's
gone IMO. Maybe Gase is in the market?

I still like Laird @RB because he plays smart and really fits the system
IMO. I'd say Ballage Drake Gaskin and Laird. Cox is going to be kept
and we might thin the herd @TE more than expected (where Smyth
looks like the most complete player to me). Walford or O'Leary are
gone.

Bottom line IMO, expect the unexpected.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to leave Spence off the 53. My bad. Like someone said already, of course we'll know more after the next game. I'd say that about 35 to 40 spots are in already. We're looking for the last 12 to 15 players. A lot will come down to how many they want to keep at which positions.
If we keep 4 RB's plus Cox then we might just keep 3 TE's. Do we keep 5 WR's? I think due to Wilson and Grant we will keep 6.

You'd think we'll keep 8 or 9 O-line guys but we do NOT have 8 guys that should be on the team at this time.

We could keep only 6 LB's but I picked 7 only because I see them doing different things there as far as groups.

I believe we'll trade away at least one player and maybe even two. That could change a few things as well.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Everyone making valid points.

I know we'll know much more after the next game of course but just wanted to see what everyone is thinking at this point. It's not easy to predict the final 53 this year with a new coaching staff and lots of players lining up with the 1's and the 2's.

Do we keep 4 RB?
Do we keep 3 TE's or 4?
Do we keep 6 WR's?
Do we keep 11 DB's or maybe even 12?

I believe at least one or two guys that will be on the team week one are not even on the team right now)specially O-line guys)

Anyway, I'll give it a try but I know I'll change my mind on some after the next game.

QB-Rosen, RF

RB- Drake, Ballage, Laird(yes I think he'll make it)
Gaskin. I believe we'll start with 4 since Drake is hurt
FB-Cox

WR-Stills(if we don't move him) Parker, Wilson,Williams,Ford.......Grant starts on PUP

TE- Gesicki, Waldorf(this is my surprise here but I think he's done well in both games) Allen, Smythe

O-line- Tunsil,Deiter,Kilgore,Calhun,Davis,Reed,Prince........and one more guy or two not on the roster right now.

K-Sanders
p-Haack
LS-Denney

D-line- Wilkins,Godchaux,Harris,Carradine, Hendrix,Taylor,Orchard,Ledbetter

LB-Eguavoen,AVG,Baker, RM,Alonso,Watson,Hanks

DB-Minkah,TJM,Jones.McCain,Howard,Rowe,Armstrong,Davis,Lammons,Aikens,Mctyer

Like I said, this will change of course but wanted to see where we were at. I know we'll carry at least 8 O-line guys and I have 7 listed so one guy would have to come off another position to make room.
You should include PS. I'd like to see those fringe players.
I think Spence has a spot. Also, call me crazy but I could see moving on from Allen at TE.

I think Spence has a spot. Also, call me crazy but I could see moving on from Allen at TE.
I'll do the PS after the next game.
Allen getting cut is always possible. Like I said, you never know with a new coaching staff. I have him making it cause that's a very young room at the moment and they can use a veteran like him but again, you just never know.

If we could somehow improve the line, I’m all for it.
The sixth offensive lineman on a team like Dallas, Indianapolis or the Chargers is likely better than most of the current starters on Miami's line. I think those teams are pretty settled at wide receiver, though. Must be some trade partners out there.

I could see that also but I think it’s more likely a year away

The sixth offensive lineman on a team like Dallas, Indianapolis or the Chargers is likely better than most of the current starters on Miami's line. I think those teams are pretty settled at wide receiver, though. Must be some trade partners out there.

If you think about it though we kinda go this route of thinking each year for a position in desperate need on this team... its just a lot harder to execute an seldom happens to much around the league.

We see a little action but...

The problem is no team is going to trade away their 6th best O-line guy unless they're totally desperate at another position. Fact is we're going to go thru some growing pains this year up front. If we start the two rookies at guard then they will have good plays and bad plays but if they can improve as the year goes on then I'm ok with it.

If you think about it though we kinda go this route of thinking each year for a position in desperate need on this team... its just a lot harder to execute an seldom happens to much around the league.

We see a little action but...

Your 6th wr isn’t getting you squat in o line trade. Sounds good never happens

Back
Top Bottom