After years of futility, Miami Dolphins get offensive line and coach right. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After years of futility, Miami Dolphins get offensive line and coach right.

I guess they don't include how well they snap the ball when grading centers? I'd think that would be the most important skill in assessing that position, but that's just me I guess. lol

That being said, the OL has improved. They have gone from atrocious to average. I don't think it necessarily means they've found the right set of players and coach, just that it does look promising. Hopefully they are right, but I'd think 2 games is too small a sample size to make such a definitive statement, but I hope they're right.
I would not count it. It is a very small percentage of the contribution to the offensive performance. You could have the best snapping center of all time that blocks 20 times worse than Eichenberg. The amount of focus on the snap is ridiculous.

Truthfully, I don’t know if the Oline is good or not.

Tua gets the ball out so fast while still pushing the ball down field, the OL rarely gets tested whether they can hold a block or not.

Defenses know this as well which impacts their gameplans. I have hardly seen any delayed blitzes or stunts, which have historically given Miami’s lines fitz, since they have no shot at getting there in time.

The OL is clearly playing better. There are fewer whiffs and mistakes that lead to free rushers. There are fewer missed blocks on run plays. Yes, Tua is in credible. He has elite processing speed and an elite release, but that doesn't change the fact that there are fewer whiffs and mistakes that lead to free rushers and fewer missed blocks on run plays.

You can almost always find some stat that isn't improved (if that's what you're looking for). And you can always say it's just two games or three games (or it's not the playoffs or the SB), but everybody knows that. It doesn't mean it can't be talked about.

And it's not that surprising that a team with most of it's starters in their second season look better. Continuity and fit was always more important than adding big name FAs and high draft picks. It just feels like the people that spent all off-season b*tching about the OL don't want to acknowledge that the OL is playing better.

The OL is clearly playing better. There are fewer whiffs and mistakes that lead to free rushers. There are fewer missed blocks on run plays. Yes, Tua is in credible. He has elite processing speed and an elite release, but that doesn't change the fact that there are fewer whiffs and mistakes that lead to free rushers and fewer missed blocks on run plays.

You can almost always find some stat that isn't improved (if that's what you're looking for). And you can always say it's just two games or three games (or it's not the playoffs or the SB), but everybody knows that. It doesn't mean it can't be talked about.

And it's not that surprising that a team with most of it's starters in their second season look better. Continuity and fit was always more important than adding big name FAs and high draft picks. It just feels like the people that spent all off-season b*tching about the OL don't want to acknowledge that the OL is playing better.
Maybe they're stopping more free runs or getting beat less, that's definitely possible, but I've seen several plays with a free rusher, or a tackle gets smoked, and had it not been for Tua's processing, he'd have gotten wrecked. Why I don't think they're "better" is because of the time-to-pressure they're allowing. 2.1 seconds, compared to 2.3 seconds last year. Maybe some of that is the plan, I don't know, I'm just personally not comfortable with their level.

I'm not discounting some marginal improvement at some of the positions, I just want more. Until we know how sustainable Tua's time-to-throw is, over a season, we won't know how much it matters.

Maybe they're stopping more free runs or getting beat less, that's definitely possible, but I've seen several plays with a free rusher, or a tackle gets smoked, and had it not been for Tua's processing, he'd have gotten wrecked. Why I don't think they're "better" is because of the time-to-pressure they're allowing. 2.1 seconds, compared to 2.3 seconds last year. Maybe some of that is the plan, I don't know, I'm just personally not comfortable with their level.

I'm not discounting some marginal improvement at some of the positions, I just want more. Until we know how sustainable Tua's time-to-throw is, over a season, we won't know how much it matters.
It's obvious if you watch the film compared to last season. Of course the OL play hasn't been perfect. Nobody would claim it has, but the number of breakdowns is far below what we were seeing last season. And from watching games around the league our OL has probably been in the top half of the league. The PFF ranking in OP is probably about right. Obviously everybody here wants more improvement, but to not admit that they're better based on a stat and not looking at film is just ignorant or stubborn.

One sack to a high end guy and he's gone?
Of course not. That wasn’t my point at all. It was a response to “what if he doesn’t give up a sack all season.”

I’ve been hoping for good things for Jackson for a long time. I’m thrilled to see him holding down his spot.

I don’t even remember him getting clearly beat on that play either.
He did get clearly beat. He kind of got caught up in his feet and Judon just went around him.

Again, I am not criticizing Jackson. Just responding to your post.

It's obvious if you watch the film compared to last season. Of course the OL play hasn't been perfect. Nobody would claim it has, but the number of breakdowns is far below what we were seeing last season. And from watching games around the league our OL has probably been in the top half of the league. The PFF ranking in OP is probably about right. Obviously everybody here wants more improvement, but to not admit that they're better based on a stat and not looking at film is just ignorant or stubborn.
I'm definitely no expert and have a level of ignorance on the finer points of OL lol...but looking at simple math, .2 seconds faster pressure =/= better, from an effectiveness standpoint.

I'm definitely no expert and have a level of ignorance on the finer points of OL lol...but looking at simple math, .2 seconds faster pressure =/= better, from an effectiveness standpoint.
Recognizing that you're not an expert, one would think you wouldn't simply repeat a stat with no context and pretend it's definitive.

Recognizing that you're not an expert, one would think you wouldn't simply repeat a stat with no context and pretend it's definitive.
The context is, last year pressure was getting to Tua in 2.3 seconds on average...this year, it's 2.1 seconds on average...how does that not say anything about the OL?

Additional context is, Tua's getting the ball out so fast it seemingly doesn't matter...I get that.

The context is, last year pressure was getting to Tua in 2.3 seconds on average...this year, it's 2.1 seconds on average...how does that not say anything about the OL?
Game plan affects that stat. The best way to assess if the OL is playing better is to watch the film rather than just looking at stats.

Game plan affects that stat. The best way to assess if the OL is playing better is to watch the film rather than just looking at stats.
So the plan is to let pressure get to him faster than previous years, but count on him to get it out faster still?

Back
Top Bottom