Akeem Spence To The Fins | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence To The Fins

For a conditional 7th round pick I have no issue with the deal. He's not a sexy acquisition, but he's a capable player that can add to the rotation at a position we haven't got a great deal of depth at. Perhaps we should have address our DT position with Payne or Vea instead of Fitzpatrick, or perhaps we could have got someone on day two, but at this point Akeem's addition for a conditional 7th round pick with a small cap hit is not the end of the world. It could turn out to be a smart addition if he backs up last season's play with us.

I said, in NO prophetic way -- (obviously) we were NOT going to solve ALL our needs in this (2018) draft. So we put some patches on the tires and HOPE they hold.

If you're super lucky -- you win the Daytona 500. Or maybe you blow a tire qualifying...

I just wanted to post their latest opinion, going by what they said the year before isn't helpful because it appears he really blossomed in the D
Fair enough, I agreed to the trade was fair. For a guy who blossed last year just keep in mind per the bleacher report Devon was ranked much higher than Spence last year, Phillips a little higher than than Spence and Taylor a little lower. So this is a depth move thats all its not like we got a better DT than what we have. We got a backup behind Devon and Philipps, and I hope we keep shopping.

Fair enough, I agreed to the trade was fair. For a guy who blossed last year just keep in mind per the bleacher report Devon was ranked much higher than Spence last year, Phillips a little higher than than Spence and Taylor a little lower. So this is a depth move thats all its not like we got a better DT than what we have. We got a backup behind Devon and Philipps, and I hope we keep shopping.
Agreed, another guy like Spence would be nice

The thing is that Spence will compete for a starting spot and don't be surprised if he supplants Phillips as the starter.
The wide nine seems to bring out the best in him; hence his better play last year and who is to say that he can't get better?

So... just spit-ballin here. Say Spence doesn’t make the initial 53. And maybe a week or two goes by. And the Phins all of a sudden have a need for a backup rotational DL? How does the conditional part of the trade work?

No one is expecting this guy to light the world on fire. If he can just be an able bodied rotational guy in the interior who doesn’t cost us games I’d call it a win. If he doesn’t make the squad, we get the pick back, and we don’t have to pay his extremely reasonable salary, I’d still call it a win. There are very few scenarios in which we don’t come out on top in this trade.

Yet if we traded a guy like Spence for a conditional 7th people would be destroying T-bum for getting fleeced, saying how worthless a 7th round pick is.

Even if PFF is just another opinion, even if he was more like 36th and not 16th... 36th for 7th round... failing to see the problem?

I honestly think it's stupid by the Lions even if he wasn't apart of the scheme.

Back
Top Bottom