Akeem Spence To The Fins | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence To The Fins

Pff I belived rated him both a D and F interesting. Bleacher report have Devon 36th, Phillips 56th, Spence 63 , Taylor 76, Suh 9th for comparison.
Now this is a conditional pick so I look at it as insurance where if we can get a better pickup then he walks and we get the pick back, seeing as we are in dire straits not a bad move. That our DL coach knows him it'sa plus too. Thats the plus side.
The down side is we create holes and send picks to fill them, which have higher contracts which blows up the salary cap down the road. Kind of tired of these repeated moves and after seeing Devon taken in the 5th rated 36th and Taylor rated in the 70s taken in the 6th its debatable that a 7th round pick in 2 years would not play as well as Spense plus be cheaper. BUT seeing as we are in dire straits at DT, plus the positives mentioned I am in favor of this move for now. I certainly hope we look for some better answers in FA. My guess also that our staff probably considered this a possibility before the draft thus perhaps why they did not make a move in the 3rd day of the draft.

Some of you are actually complaining about trading a 7th round pick for a proven rotational DT, who is cheap, relatively young, and coming off his best season? Sigh.

Not sure it was his best season when he had almost the exact stats
in 2014, while playing for Tampa with 170 less defensive snaps

If Miami drafted a guy in the 7th round who ended up playing significant snaps and played even average, there would be praise all around. And no, I’m not counting our “next Zach Thomas”.

Some of you are actually complaining about trading a 7th round pick for a proven rotational DT, who is cheap, relatively young, and coming off his best season? Sigh.

Yeah I hate T-Bum but even I don't have a problem with this trade. Spence will probably be better than any 7th-rounder we were going to pick anyways.

Pff I belived rated him both a D and F interesting. Bleacher report have Devon 36th, Phillips 56th, Spence 63 , Taylor 76, Suh 9th for comparison.
Now this is a conditional pick so I look at it as insurance where if we can get a better pickup then he walks and we get the pick back, seeing as we are in dire straits not a bad move. That our DL coach knows him it'sa plus too. Thats the plus side.
The down side is we create holes and send picks to fill them, which have higher contracts which blows up the salary cap down the road. Kind of tired of these repeated moves and after seeing Devon taken in the 5th rated 36th and Taylor rated in the 70s taken in the 6th its debatable that a 7th round pick in 2 years would not play as well as Spense plus be cheaper. BUT seeing as we are in dire straits at DT, plus the positives mentioned I am in favor of this move for now. I certainly hope we look for some better answers in FA. My guess also that our staff probably considered this a possibility before the draft thus perhaps why they did not make a move in the 3rd day of the draft.
Just to set the record straight for those that missed it the first two times:

"...Per Pro Football Focus, Spence ranked 16thin the NFL in 2017 in run-stop percentage at 8.6%. These are tackles that occur within two yards of the line-of-scrimmage (Damon Harrison was number 1 at 13.4%). His pass rush productivity was even better, ranking 14thin the NFL with a 6.3 PRP (Suh was 10that 6.8)..."

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/do...miamis-defense/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is such a funny thread...

I love reading the anger...they bring up articles (one-year-old, but a solid c+ for the effort) and throw out blanket statements of him being trash. I do like the "I have friends who are Lions fans and they say"...yeah we have Dolphins fans who will swear Tannehill is a potato. I do love football forums.

We traded for him. We didn't have a say in the contract, or a way to get him at league minimum. And I doubt he's the 4th DT. He will see alot of snaps. Probably plays in front of Taylor. A $2.5 million contract for a guy that's been in the league a few years isn't much.
I see him in top 3 of DT snaps for us.

Phillips will be looked at as DT1 probably, Godchaux DT2, Spence 3, Taylor 4.

Obviously Phillips has been questionable throughout the years so i could see the other 3 easily earning more snaps

"...Per Pro Football Focus, Spence ranked 16thin the NFL in 2017 in run-stop percentage at 8.6%. These are tackles that occur within two yards of the line-of-scrimmage (Damon Harrison was number 1 at 13.4%). His pass rush productivity was even better, ranking 14thin the NFL with a 6.3 PRP (Suh was 10that 6.8)..."

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/do...miamis-defense/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I actually skipped around the thread cause there is just too much stupidity in the main forum, so thank you for posting this.

My question is, how does a player have such great stats (per PFF) and get tossed aside? I mean, it sounds like was an all around player - what's the REAL SCOOP? What are we missing? Did he play only a few snaps? Only play against backups in garbage time? How do you get rated fairly high in both run and pass and then just get tossed aside?

The PFF article quoted in the thread I reviewed rated the trade Detroit made for Spence last year both a D and a F in fact thier F grade for that trade they made with the Bucs was rated last in the league. So I want to keep the records straight also. Yes I read the article you are refering to. But my point was laid out under the downside to consider.

I actually skipped around the thread cause there is just too much stupidity in the main forum, so thank you for posting this.

My question is, how does a player have such great stats (per PFF) and get tossed aside? I mean, it sounds like was an all around player - what's the REAL SCOOP? What are we missing? Did he play only a few snaps? Only play against backups in garbage time? How do you get rated fairly high in both run and pass and then just get tossed aside?
New coach is switching to a 3-4, probably a big factor. Also, I don't put much into PFF, it is just another opinion

The PFF article quoted in the thread I reviewed rated the trade Detroit made for Spence last year both a D and a F in fact thier F grade for that trade they made with the Bucs was rated last in the league. So I want to keep the records straight also. Yes I read the article you are refering to. But my point was laid out under the downside to consider.
I just wanted to post their latest opinion, going by what they said the year before isn't helpful because it appears he really blossomed in the D

7th rounders rarely make the roster. This guy has been on a roster and has proven he can play. Bring him to camp and let him compete.

Back
Top Bottom