Akeem Spence To The Fins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence To The Fins

Yep if he doesn't make the team we didn't give up anything. I suspect he starts or is a key rotation player

I have no problem with the deal by itself (folks are right, a 7th is nothing and is good value for an ok starter at DT), it's just I hope they don't underestimate the hole they have with Suh gone...this smells a little like their multi-year use of retreads at guard until they finally agreed to pony up for a Josh Sitton.

They over-invested in Suh/DT but may be swinging too far the other way, all about balance my friends

More Lions trash. He should not be trading future picks. Doesn't matter if it's late round. I can't stand Tannen-bum. I would like to go one draft with all our picks.
that ain't Tannenbum... that's Chris Grier. 4-for-1 ain't how MT rolls.. unless he's giving 4 and getting 1 with a stinking humongous contract.

Oh no....we gave up a 7th round pick? I'm sure we would have drafted an all pro in the 7th round. (sarcasm)
I'm actually not surprised that some people are complaining here, some people have to complain about everything. It's a conditional 7th round pick for a DT that we needed.
Get over it people

You all can bash me all you want. I have watched the guy play. My two buddies are TB fans and Lions fans. The guy is below average. Has also been suspended. I would rather have not traded future picks and address DT after June 1st. I fully supported this draft. Those claiming some people just want to bitch don't know Jack. Go research him. Below average in my opinion. Even for a 7th. All picks are valuable.
But we had 8 picks for next year so we still have our full compliment of picks, and we still may do the June 1 pickup on DT's. I think we may pick up several positions June 1 and end of trainings camp cuts. That's the NFL. But this gives us a accending player at a decent price without having to negotiate like we do with June 1 and eoc players you want to sign. The ones who want more than we can spend on, this insurance.

I have no problem with the deal by itself (folks are right, a 7th is nothing and is good value for an ok starter at DT), it's just I hope they don't underestimate the hole they have with Suh gone...this smells a little like their multi-year use of retreads at guard until they finally agreed to pony up for a Josh Sitton.

They over-invested in Suh/DT but may be swinging too far the other way, all about balance my friends
It may also an attempt to buy some time until the 2019 draft, which is loaded at DL? But non the less Spence fills an immediate need, albeit short term?

It doesn't matter what they do , how they do it, when or why they do it, someone here will always complain about it

You all can bash me all you want. I have watched the guy play. My two buddies are TB fans and Lions fans. The guy is below average. Has also been suspended. I would rather have not traded future picks and address DT after June 1st. I fully supported this draft. Those claiming some people just want to bitch don't know Jack. Go research him. Below average in my opinion. Even for a 7th. All picks are valuable.

This player improved from the year before, his new d line is his old d line coach, so he might know a bit more about him than you, and they gave up a pick for him that would be used on player that has many imperfections. No trouble with this sort of move!

I know Bleacher Report is debatable here, but it may shine some light on Spence. Spence is 63rd - I certainly dont think we get that value with a seventh rounder next year...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-top-defensive-tackles-of-2017-season#slide11

I'm actually very bullish on the dolphins this year, they killed the draft and offseason. About the only real hole left is DT so I would personally like to see some mid-level resources devoted to an above-average run-stuffer, since that does seem to be the obvious way to attack our D as it stands

Hadn't seen this before. Thank you.
Tampa Bay used him as a nose tackle. He did not fit that system. The PFF grade is based on his 2016 Tampa Bay system. Detroit{2017} used him as a 3 tech{DT} tackle and he proved to be very good in that role. Miami's new defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, coached Akeem Spence last year in Detroit. So it is clear to me that Miami knows exactly what they are getting. Miami has a pick in each round of the 2019 NFL draft{7 picks}. The {conditional} draft pick they sent to Detroit is the one they received from Cleveland{Jarvis Landry trade}. That pick was originally Pittsburgh's 7 round 2019 pick. It most likely will be a very late 7th round pick. Based on Akeem Spence's fit in our defensive system, this is a great value trade.

Last edited:
Since people don't seem to read what I wrote, let me reiterate: I do not care about the 7 th rd pick! We overpayed for a marginal player. We should have gave him the league minimum and let him work into a better contract. His base salary is 2.575mil. That is too much for a player that is fourth player in the defensive line rotation.

Are we really whining about a 7th rounder? Were we really going to draft someone who’d be as ready to step in and make an impact at the DT position in the 7th round (conditional no less!) than Spence?

Back
Top Bottom