Alabama's Derrick Henry | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alabama's Derrick Henry

No thanks. Henry's an average RB at best.

Lousy Heisman winner.

He's been labeled overrated so often that I'm not sure he's not underrated. I taped dozens of games during the season and started catching up with them over the past 10 days or so. Henry is faster than my early estimation. He lacks the rapid turnover rate but he gains ground in relation to supposedly fast players. Somewhat like Eric Dickerson but obviously not that fast or smooth.

I go back and forth on this guy. He does run tall and provides a big target. However, I sense that bigger backs now fit the current NFL, given the sloppy tackling. Teams run the ball less often so the defenses don't like to tackle, and especially not a load coming smack at them. I think some of us who preferred Melvin Gordon slightly above Todd Gurley last year underrated that aspect.

Henry was so good in the bowl against Oklahoma a couple of years ago that I don't like to let go of that early impression. For all the talk about Alabama backs being overstated entering the NFL, it can be argued that both Lacy and Yeldon were underrated during the process, although the league and the Jaguars got it right in the late going by boosting Yeldon. I was hoping the Dolphins could steal him. Yeldon is like a more dynamic Tony Nathan.

It will be interesting to see how Henry fares against Michigan State. That team is rugged in the trenches, to the point they handled Ohio State easily on both sides of the ball. However, Michigan State is much worse in the secondary than any recent Spartan team. They are allowing a brutal 7.2 YPA, which is ghastly by upper echelon college standards. I have never seen a college team win the national championship with a pass defense number like that. Cam Newton's Auburn team was closest at 7.0. Somehow Urban Meyer brainstormed to throw the ball only 16 times into that young and vulnerable Michigan State secondary. I doubt Saban and Kiffin will be that stupid. Besides, Meyer panicked and picked the wrong quarterback. Jones can make plays down the field dependably unlike Barrett, who missed a wide open receiver for a touchdown that could have altered that Michigan State game. Henry is very effective on screens and those plays could be a factor against the Spartans.

Dalvin Cook and Leonard Fournette are great backs, but they're irrelevant in terms of comparison to Henry because they're not draft eligible. Secondly, the notion that any of these backs are in any way vastly superior to Derrick Henry is simply nonsense. Let me put it this way, if I had people evaluating talent for me and came to me with the observations I've seen in this thread, I'd fire 'em on the spot. I'd want people like this picking players for my opposition.

Dalvin Cook is a terrific player. However, the only thing he's better than Derrick Henry at might be slapping around girls in a bar. He's not better than Henry at playing football. Furthermore, he doesn't have the character of a player like Henry. That counts when you're evaluating players.

Ezekiel Elliott is a great player. I've had him above Derrick Henry in my 2016 RB thread since the day I created it. However, it's not by much. Certainly not to the extent that has been pushed in this thread. Henry doesn't go whining to the media about his coaches after a loss like Elliott. He doesn't have that selfish mindset.

Leonard Fournette is a stud. But so is Derrick Henry. We easily shut down Fournette without doing anything special. The same defense that Henry goes up against everyday.

Here's the deal..... Derrick Henry is the definition of special. He's been special since day one. There's a reason why he rushed for more yards in high school than any player ever has in the history of high school football. Anywhere. He broke a record that had stood for 59 years. And he did it playing against high school competition in the state of Florida, which is as good as it gets.

He just broke Herschel Walker's single season SEC rushing record. He's doing these things behind a very average offensive line by Alabama standards.

After the next time you see a 6'3", 242 pound running back with 4.5 speed, a 345 pound power clean, 440 pound bench press, 500 pound squat, and a 38" vertical leap..... you can qualify Derrick Henry as nothing special. I've seen every single carry of his career at Alabama, and he's never been caught from behind. Ever. For anyone saying he's slow, prove it. Show me where he's ever been run down. It's never happened. He pulls away from the fastest DB's college football has to offer in the open field. Every single time. The same DB's that will be playing in the NFL. He outruns angles that only the fastest players are able to outrun.

He never gets tired. His workout is legendary. Take some time and watch it for yourself.

Henry doesn't "give you a lot of legs to tackle". He gets tackled by the legs a lot because it's the only way they can get him down. Defenders are coached to tackle him by his legs. If you try to take on his upper body, you're going to have a bad day.

His durability is elite. His stamina is elite. When you project backs to the NFL, pass protection and ability to pick up the blitz are what you're basing your final grade on. Derrick Henry literally destroys free blitzers. He big boys defensive lineman.

Most of all, he's an exceptional person and a tremendously hard worker. He's earned every single accolade that he's ever had. It would be easy for a kid like Henry to just let it happen. Because he's always bigger, stronger, and faster than everybody else. But he never has. He's worked his tail off to get where he's at.

I've seen him play a lot, he's a very good college back who may make a solid NFL back. I don't see star potential, or any reason for the Dolphins to consider taking him, or any other RB with any of their picks.

Well, I generally hope most of our players at Alabama are lucky enough to avoid being drafted by terrible organizations like the Miami Dolphins. I certainly wouldn't wish it on a kid like Derrick Henry. It usually works out pretty well.

Dalvin Cook and Leonard Fournette are great backs, but they're irrelevant in terms of comparison to Henry because they're not draft eligible. Secondly, the notion that any of these backs are in any way vastly superior to Derrick Henry is simply nonsense. Let me put it this way, if I had people evaluating talent for me and came to me with the observations I've seen in this thread, I'd fire 'em on the spot. I'd want people like this picking players for my opposition.

Dalvin Cook is a terrific player. However, the only thing he's better than Derrick Henry at might be slapping around girls in a bar. He's not better than Henry at playing football. Furthermore, he doesn't have the character of a player like Henry. That counts when you're evaluating players.

Ezekiel Elliott is a great player. I've had him above Derrick Henry in my 2016 RB thread since the day I created it. However, it's not by much. Certainly not to the extent that has been pushed in this thread. Henry doesn't go whining to the media about his coaches after a loss like Elliott. He doesn't have that selfish mindset.

Leonard Fournette is a stud. But so is Derrick Henry. We easily shut down Fournette without doing anything special. The same defense that Henry goes up against everyday.

Here's the deal..... Derrick Henry is the definition of special. He's been special since day one. There's a reason why he rushed for more yards in high school than any player ever has in the history of high school football. Anywhere. He broke a record that had stood for 59 years. And he did it playing against high school competition in the state of Florida, which is as good as it gets.

He just broke Herschel Walker's single season SEC rushing record. He's doing these things behind a very average offensive line by Alabama standards.

After the next time you see a 6'3", 242 pound running back with 4.5 speed, a 345 pound power clean, 440 pound bench press, 500 pound squat, and a 38" vertical leap..... you can qualify Derrick Henry as nothing special. I've seen every single carry of his career at Alabama, and he's never been caught from behind. Ever. For anyone saying he's slow, prove it. Show me where he's ever been run down. It's never happened. He pulls away from the fastest DB's college football has to offer in the open field. Every single time. The same DB's that will be playing in the NFL. He outruns angles that only the fastest players are able to outrun.

He never gets tired. His workout is legendary. Take some time and watch it for yourself.

Henry doesn't "give you a lot of legs to tackle". He gets tackled by the legs a lot because it's the only way they can get him down. Defenders are coached to tackle him by his legs. If you try to take on his upper body, you're going to have a bad day.

His durability is elite. His stamina is elite. When you project backs to the NFL, pass protection and ability to pick up the blitz are what you're basing your final grade on. Derrick Henry literally destroys free blitzers. He big boys defensive lineman.

Most of all, he's an exceptional person and a tremendously hard worker. He's earned every single accolade that he's ever had. It would be easy for a kid like Henry to just let it happen. Because he's always bigger, stronger, and faster than everybody else. But he never has. He's worked his tail off to get where he's at.

If he's staring at us when we pick, do you grab him? Your post makes me like him even more and I do like him. For some reason I actually think they would be interested especially after hearing about us wanting Gurley.

If the Dolphins draft a RB I'll just quit. We already have 2 of them, and a ****-ton of areas where we actually have need.

Haha, Not saying I want it to happen. But if they let Miller walk in FA. That would leave somewhat of a hole. The speculation last year was we loved Gurley. Henry seems like a very similar talent and player.

I assume I'm in the group you are referring to...I never said Cook was vastly superior to Henry, only that I would prefer waiting for him if we are going to burn a first rounder on a running back. There are a few things that Cook is definitely superior to Henry on: vision, lateral quickness, breakaway speed, and balance to begin with. He averaged a full two yards more than Henry per carry and that has to account for something. Henry is absolutely more durable and more powerful, more of a Marshall Lynch than Cook's LeSean McCoy. You can't go wrong either way, just different backs.

I wouldn't be upset at all having Henry or Cook on our team but RB shouldn't be a priority assuming we resign Miller. I just hope they both stay out of the AFC East.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I can't wait to see what Henry and Elliot do at the combine. I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume I'm in the group you are referring to...I never said Cook was vastly superior to Henry, only that I would prefer waiting for him if we are going to burn a first rounder on a running back. There are a few things that Cook is definitely superior to Henry on: vision, lateral quickness, breakaway speed, and balance to begin with. He averaged a full two yards more than Henry per carry and that has to account for something. Henry is absolutely more durable and more powerful, more of a Marshall Lynch than Cook's LeSean McCoy. You can't go wrong either way, just different backs.

I wouldn't be upset at all having Henry or Cook on our team but RB shouldn't be a priority assuming we resign Miller. I just hope they both stay out of the AFC East.

Buddy, using YPC as a means to determine one back superior to another is usually tragically flawed from the outset. If that's your argument, then Matt Breida is a superior back to Dalvin Cook.

Look at it this way, Cook only faced 6 defenses ranked in the top 50 in rush defense. Derrick Henry went up against 8. Cook only played 2 teams that even ended up ranked in the top 25 by the end of the season. Henry played against 4. Henry had 128 more carries against better defenses. There's where your disparity in YPC lies.

We relied on Henry a lot to close out games and wear them down in the 4th quarter. He was running against stacked defenses and 8/9 man fronts when they knew he was getting the rock. Watch the Iron Bowl against Auburn. Henry carried the ball 14 straight times against a loaded box to close out the game.

Derrick Henry averaged 7.51 YPC for his career. That's pretty special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy, using YPC as a means to determine one back superior to another is usually tragically flawed from the outset. If that's your argument, then Matt Breida is a superior back to Dalvin Cook.

Look at it this way, Cook only faced 6 defenses ranked in the top 50 in rush defense. Derrick Henry went up against 8. Cook only played 2 teams that even ended up ranked in the top 25 by the end of the season. Henry played against 4.

We relied on Henry a lot to close out games and wear them down in the 4th quarter. He was running against stacked defenses and 8/9 man fronts when they knew he was getting the rock. Watch the Iron Bowl against Auburn. Henry carried the ball 14 straight times against a loaded box to close out the game.

Henry is absolutely special and his power and durability are amazing. Like I said before, the YPC has to count for something but certainly isn't the Rosetta Stone that explains everything. I admitted from the beginning that I am partial to Cook, he's probably the best RB in my alma mater's history that includes a lot of good backs. With that being said, I don't think anyone would disagree that Cook has some qualities that are superior to Henry just as Henry has some superior to Cook. In the end, I think both will be very successful the NFL and putting one above the other is really splitting hairs that comes down to style fit for a team.

Look at it this way, Cook only faced 6 defenses ranked in the top 50 in rush defense. Derrick Henry went up against 8. Cook only played 2 teams that even ended up ranked in the top 25 by the end of the season. Henry played against 4. Henry had 128 more carries against better defenses. There's where your disparity in YPC lies.

I get it you love Henry, I hear you. But you probably shouldn't use Auburn's 91st ranked run defense to make your case. How does he do in practice? That's the real defense I want to see how he does against. The defense he faces every day in practice is way better than any of the other run defenses he sees in the SEC, this past season anyway. After Bama at #1, you have to go all the way down to #16 and #17 with Arkansas and UF before you find another SEC team on the NCAA rushing defense rankings. After that you get into the 20s before you find another SEC defense. He's faced some defense for sure, but this season it hasn't been the typical SEC defenses.

I get it you love Henry, I hear you. But you probably shouldn't use Auburn's 91st ranked run defense to make your case. How does he do in practice? That's the real defense I want to see how he does against. The defense he faces every day in practice is way better than any of the other run defenses he sees in the SEC, this past season anyway. After Bama at #1, you have to go all the way down to #16 and #17 with Arkansas and UF before you find another SEC team on the NCAA rushing defense rankings. After that you get into the 20s before you find another SEC defense. He's faced some defense for sure, but this season it hasn't been the typical SEC defenses.

My point was never intended to be that Auburn had a great run defense. I think you know that. The point was that Henry carried the ball 14 straight times to end the game against their stacked front. Auburn has a lot of talent in their front 7, and they played their best game of the season against Alabama. They always do. The game was put on Henry's shoulders. Alabama had to keep possession of the football and keep Auburn's offense off the field. The score was 22-13 with 5 minutes left.....at Auburn. It paints a more complete picture to Buddy's comment regarding YPC.

Arkansas' run defense is outstanding. They play the run just about as well as any team in the country other than Alabama. Arkansas only allowed one running back to gain 100 yards all season, and that was Peyton Barber when they played Auburn. It took him 37 carries to do it.

My point wasn't that every SEC defense was great this year. Either my point is completely lost on you, or you're intentionally grasping at things that you know I'm not trying to say or emphasize. Again, my point was to Buddy, that Henry faced better run defenses than Dalvin Cook, and had nearly 130 more carries against better defenses. Which explains the gap in YPC.

I'm not pumping up Henry to be something he's not. It is what it is. He's got the hardware. I'm simply stating the facts, and shedding a little light on all the blatant bias that already existed in this thread for Ezekiel Elliott, Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, and every other RB in the country that's apparently so much better than Derrick Henry.

Whether I like Henry or not is irrelevant. I'm not one to prop up players that I don't believe in just because they play for the Crimson Tide. Anybody that's paid any attention to my posts for years is aware of that. Bias and/or favoritism isn't part of my formula for evaluating talent and never has been. I evaluate Alabama players the same way I do players anywhere else.

I get it you don't like Henry, I hear you. It don't matter to me. It's your opinion. I'm just trying to point you in the right direction regarding how this RB class stacks up.

Back
Top Bottom