Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

I still fail to realize WHY the Bucs have fallen in love with Alex. I know he will possibly be a successful quarterback or a "franchise" quarterback, but the Bucs have so many other needs. Pittman is NOT the answer at Running back and they have NO DEPTH at WR. Ronnie Brown, Cadallac Williams or Mike Williams would fit their needs SO much more than would Smith. Their defense is also getting thing and old, so they need their 2nd and 3rd round picks to address it as well. They just resigned Greise. I don't get it. If they make this trade Jon Gruden's tenure in Tampa will be decided based on his performance next year. WHY WHY WHY do they make this move? Please explain!

fishfan34 said:
I still fail to realize WHY the Bucs have fallen in love with Alex. I know he will possibly be a successful quarterback or a "franchise" quarterback, but the Bucs have so many other needs. Pittman is NOT the answer at Running back and they have NO DEPTH at WR. Ronnie Brown, Cadallac Williams or Mike Williams would fit their needs SO much more than would Smith. Their defense is also getting thing and old, so they need their 2nd and 3rd round picks to address it as well. They just resigned Greise. I don't get it. If they make this trade Jon Gruden's tenure in Tampa will be decided based on his performance next year. WHY WHY WHY do they make this move? Please explain!

Reason #1 in my opinion is Gruden's ego. He wants "his guy" to groom at quarterback. He's never had that. Brian Griese is a stopgap at best and whenever he talks about Chris Simms he always says what he CAN'T do rather then what he can do.

Reason #2 is I think they are going to get into the Travis Henry sweepstakes before it is all over. I don't think Gruden worried about his runninng backs. He'll plug in whomever. I think he WANTS a young q.b. he can groom and he sees this as his chance to get one.

Reason #3 is they have 2 third round picks. He can swing the deal with Miami and still have a day one pick left over to fill a need for a young reciever. If they did not have 2 thirds I don't think he'd be thinking about trading out of the first day of the draft for one player.

I would hope not, because, his honeymoon is OVER here in Tampa. They want to be in the playoffs next year, or he will find himself unemployed. So I hope it pays off for him. I'm not complaining about it at all, but it just strikes me as odd.

Agent51 said:
next year, matt leinart, lol. I believe that too, but not this year, I don't think Smith is worthy, and I think the big 3 are WAY to good to pass up

we won't have a chance of getting him next year. this imo is really our only chance to get a legitamate franchise qb.

fishfan34 said:
I agree with both sides (the mature arguments) and see both sides. My question is this. If we draft Smith at #2, that obviously means we don't trade with TB. If Surtain isn't traded for a 2nd rounder. What RB do you think will be available at our 3rd round pick that is better than Lamar Gordon, Sammy Morris, or Travis Minor? In my opinion, there isn't one. So we have a suspect offensive line, an average receiving corps and a veteran backup quarterback, a questionable starter, and a rookie that has at least 2 years before he'll be a factor. So are we saying that we're going to depend on coaching alone to improve this years offense over last years? That doesn't make me feel very excited about our prospects for improving on a 4-12 record.

it is that exact same short term thinking that has got us to 4-12.

Jnaledu3 said:
Fiedler always choked in the big games. Thats what made him a crappy QB. He was a caretaker- much like Feeley is.

The is exactly why we need to get a real QB.
LOL, and you think Alex Smith is the answer?

Aquanator B1000 said:
we won't have a chance of getting him next year. this imo is really our only chance to get a legitamate franchise qb.

we could throw all our games on purpose.

Aquanator B1000 said:
it is that exact same short term thinking that has got us to 4-12.

I totally agree with HIS point (about drafting a RB in round 1). That isn't short term thinking, because we can still get a QB later, for the millionth time. Of course he won't be as good as a round 1 (in YOUR eyes anyway) but neither would a RB, so they argument is a never ending circle. The point is in this draft I like the round 2 and 3 QBs better than the round 2 and 3 RBs thus it makes the MOST SENSE to get a RB in round one that will definately give us a MAJOR IMMEDIATE improvement, and get aQB in 2 (if we get it) or three.

first&goal said:
LOL, and you think Alex Smith is the answer?

IMO, Alex Smith is a critical piece of the puzzle.

After this years draft, the Dolphins can then trade for a RB to complement the offensive scheme being installed by Linehan.

What will the Dolphins trade for a RB? Possibly their 1st round pick in the 2006 draft. If we trade Surtain and that includes KC's 2nd round pick in 2006, that gives the Dolphins two 2nd round picks in the 2006 draft and the team trading its 1st round pick will have a lesser sting / bite.

Who will we trade for? IMO - possibly either Sean Alexander (Seattle) or Edgerin James (Indy). Both have expressed an interest in being traded to Miami. And Saban can use one against the other to keep contract demands within salary cap friendly limits.

And if Saban does the above, IMO, he'll have given Linehan the personnel to build an offense that will be productive for seasons to come.

IMO - if the Dolphins can not trade down in the draft and receive full-value for their pick, Alex Smith will be a Dolphin.

==========
In My Opinion
==========

we need picks to get depth and playmakers to win right now, there is no next year as a dolphins fan, we need to win now

Im not a Feeley Hater nor am I a feeley supporter but surrounding Feeley with weapons wont do anything. We gave Fiedler Ricky Williams,Chambers,Derius Mcmichael instead of actually having a real quaterback the matter of the fact is feeley is not that mobile,hes not a leader,hes not as accurate as Griese he barely played in college and only had 4 starts for Eagles.
Garcia,Collins and Griese had bad running games and still played better than Feeley. These Feeley excuses r getting old.
Bottom Line Linehan won with 3 runningbacks in Minnisota and lets face it Feeley is no Daunte Culppeper. Ferotte is 34, Feeley in close to 30 I wudnt be surpised if fins draft a qb with 1st pick .

Bonedoc7777 said:
we need picks to get depth and playmakers to win right now, there is no next year as a dolphins fan, we need to win now

And IMO installing Linehan's offensive scheme with Alex Smith as the team's QB of the future is this team's first step towards winning now.

Bonedoc7777 said:

I dont know how realistic this is. Sure winning now is the goal, and it would be nice, but we just changed our entire coaching staff and we will have a new offensive and defensive philosophy next year. Giving Saban and the new staff some time to install there system and get everyone comfortable isnt an unrealistic request.

Bonedoc7777 said:

nick said that the 1st round pick will be chosen with the future in mind, and i'm all for the future, it would be great to make the playoffs next year and all, but let's be realistic: we have the toughest sched in the league and it's likely to be another down year. trade down or pick smith, either or is cool with me, and both would be looking out for the future.

Back
Top Bottom