Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

I say the trade with the bucs is a great idea and I hope thats the way we go.

I'm just putting my two cents in for what it's worth...

I think we'll be taking Smith at #2 as our QB of the future, unless we get an offer that's too good to ignore.

Although his free agency moves will make us competitive, I think Saban is building for the long term.

Agent51 said:
I TOTALLY agree Feeley isn't the answer, I've said that since we signed him and did that dumb trade. That being said, he IS the starter this year (well, him or Gus, possibly Sage) because the rookie, be it Smith or someone lower, will sit for 1-3 years, which is my biggest argument for not picking Smith, no matter WHAT QB we draft he will be sitting and we are stuck with one of the other three guys til the rookie is ready to take over after a few years, so take a guy who can make us not totally abismal during those years ("big 3" RB) and QB in 2 or 3 and use the "learning period" to do a lot of focus training with him.

i think just one of these years miami needs to bite the bullet and actually pick up a qb in the first round.

it's very hard to find a franchise/quality qb later on. it can be done, buy it's not easy. however finding a rb later on, is easier.

Aquanator B1000 said:
i think just one of these years miami needs to bite the bullet and actually pick up a qb in the first round.

it's very hard to find a franchise/quality qb later on. it can be done, buy it's not easy. however finding a rb later on, is easier.

I agree with your remark - it's very hard to find a franchise/quality qb later on. it can be done, buy it's not easy. however finding a rb later on, is easier.

IMO, 2005 may turn out to be the year the Dolphins bite the bullet and draft a QB in the first round.

Dolphin-One said:
I agree with your remark - it's very hard to find a franchise/quality qb later on. it can be done, buy it's not easy. however finding a rb later on, is easier.

IMO, 2005 may turn out to be the year the Dolphins bite the bullet and draft a QB in the first round.

i hope so. however if a good trade is available, i'd be o.k. with that too.

I agree with both sides (the mature arguments) and see both sides. My question is this. If we draft Smith at #2, that obviously means we don't trade with TB. If Surtain isn't traded for a 2nd rounder. What RB do you think will be available at our 3rd round pick that is better than Lamar Gordon, Sammy Morris, or Travis Minor? In my opinion, there isn't one. So we have a suspect offensive line, an average receiving corps and a veteran backup quarterback, a questionable starter, and a rookie that has at least 2 years before he'll be a factor. So are we saying that we're going to depend on coaching alone to improve this years offense over last years? That doesn't make me feel very excited about our prospects for improving on a 4-12 record.

Aquanator B1000 said:

next year, matt leinart, lol. I believe that too, but not this year, I don't think Smith is worthy, and I think the big 3 are WAY to good to pass up

Are you saying that there are people on the board who aren't mature? :wink:
fishfan34 said:
I agree with both sides (the mature arguments) and see both sides. My question is this. If we draft Smith at #2, that obviously means we don't trade with TB. If Surtain isn't traded for a 2nd rounder. What RB do you think will be available at our 3rd round pick that is better than Lamar Gordon, Sammy Morris, or Travis Minor? In my opinion, there isn't one. So we have a suspect offensive line, an average receiving corps and a veteran backup quarterback, a questionable starter, and a rookie that has at least 2 years before he'll be a factor. So are we saying that we're going to depend on coaching alone to improve this years offense over last years? That doesn't make me feel very excited about our prospects for improving on a 4-12 record.

Agent51 said:
next year, matt leinart, lol. I believe that too, but not this year, I don't think Smith is worthy, and I think the big 3 are WAY to good to pass up

Yeah, I agree. The RBs are just too talented to pass on. The Qbs are not up to par. You can't force a pick just because thats what you want.

Leinhart really screwed the pooch when he didn't declare this year. He was so head and shoulders above the other guys that he would been #1 overall, and making crazy $$$

I still haven't had my question answered. If we select Smith and don't pick again until our 3rd round pick, who will be there that's better than what we already on our roster?

I just thought I'd throw my 5 cents in on the "Alex Smith" debate.

I think Saban is playing the Bucs. He has been quiet as a mouse until now. His scouts have said nothing and his coaches are'nt even allowed to speak.

Then out of the blue, around the same time that leaks are coming out of Tampa that they are enamoured with Smith, he wants Smith to be his guy.

He is playing this hand PERFECTLY. He BADLY wants to trade down. Every reputable sports writer in the nation is saying so. Yes, that is just their "opinion" of what Saban wants to do but I buy it.

The Bucs have fallen in love with a player....a player they can only get at #2. It is EXACTLY what we wanted to happen.

I think it is all about the art of the deal now.

Will Saban stick to his "value chart" guns? Will Tampa cough up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd? I think they will. The third may turn out to be #91 but, I'd take the #5, #36 and #91 for our #2 in a heartbeat.

It is good value according to the draft chart and the Bucs could do this deal becase they have 2 third round picks.

We'd have #5, #35, #71 and #91 as opposed to #2 and #71. I really like the sound of that. We get a runner (Ronnie Brown could still fall to us at #5), could address our defensive line earlier (at #35) and then get the flavour of the week/second teir Q.B. prospect with one of our thirds and still be able to grab a safety in the third.

Do it Nick....make the deal.

4 first day picks, good value for our #2 and still being able to get one of the big three running backs?

I don't think any of us could ask for more then that.

DBostonsBoy80 said:
The article also said that the Phins would listen to the Bucs trade offers. Imagine if they do get the Bucs five and a second round pick with maybe some others next year. That is twice as good IMO.

Lets Go SABAN

I agree. I'm finally on the bandwagon. But only because we can still get someone like Fason at RB in the 2nd round. WIlliams, C Fason,

hweitz14 said:
Alex Smith is going to be a huge bust in the NFL.

He is Heath Shuler/Cade McKnown.

You guys are clueless.

you have hard proof to back that up? NO....

Back
Top Bottom