All-Time Greatest Dolphins Kicker | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All-Time Greatest Dolphins Kicker

Phinmaster1354 said:
Ewe Von Schauman And Fuad Reveiz Were Tough For Us For Years But Ewe Missed A Big Kick Against The Chargers In The Best Game In History.i Love Pete But He Missed A Big One Too In 1994 Against The Chargers. Mare Has Just Used Up All His Welcome With His Inconsistency, The Pats Love Him Since He Can't Make The Big Kick Against Them Unlike Vinetari. I Have To Go With Our Proud History With Garo!! He's Proven!!

Uwe von Schauman didn't just miss ONE big kick in the Charger's game...he blew TWO big kicks...one would have won the game for us with a little time left in the 4th quarter, and he missed another one in overtime...the Charger's kicker Rolf Bernirschke, who almost died of a rare illness, and later the host of Wheel of Fortune, ended up winning the game with a field goal...I think that was the first and only time I cried after watching a game (and I was 17 at the time)...they replayed the Fins-Chargers game on ESPN a couple weeks ago.....we shoulda-coulda won it. :cry:

Mare winning the game against Denver on my birthday was sweet. Pete Stoyanavich in McDonald's commercials was great. However, Noboday, but nobody beats the inconsistancy and overall sucktitude of Joe Nedney when he played for us. Nedney made me want to puke every time he came on the field.

Mare no doubt. He has been slumping that past two years now, but he used to be an automatic 3 pts for anything under 60 yards. I miss the old Mare. Strange how some people forget how great Mare once was after he misses some clutch kicks. :D

The youth factor here doesn't give Garo the chance he deserves. I've seen everyone since and including Garo. Mare in his prime had a combination of diverse skill and strength. He could be counted on for the on-siders as well as the 45 yarder. He developed his mental block about the dirt and hasn't been the same since he blew the NE game in 2002.

Stoyanovich was a very good kicker. Especially for distance. I really thought he's break the 63 yard record if given the chance.

Uve Von Schaumann killed us in the OT game against SD. I'lll never forgive him for that.

Fuad was also a very good kicker but didn't have the consistency you need.

Garo was clutch. He came through and was very consistent. He is my winner as the best we've had.

We have been very luck to have had so many very good kickers.

Anyone remember Uwe Von Schamann, he use to miss loads. This would be a close one between Pete and Olindo, but I think Mare just shades it.

The interesting thing about this thread is that there is even a debate. At one time or another most the the candidates were considered among the top kickers in the NFL. How many teams can boast of more than one pro bowl kicker? Ok most people don't boast about there place kickers but you get the point.

Garo was clutch for many years. I'd have to go with Garo, Mare, then Stoyo and UWE. Fuad had a great leg and went to Sunset High School (Go Killian Cougars!) but he didnt have the accuracy.

This isn't even close. I think a halfway legitimate argument can be made for Garo Yepremian as a Hall of Fame candidate. If a kicker were to make it, he would have all the credentials. When he retired he was one of the Top 10 scorers of points in NFL history.

Does anybody else remember in the 85 AFC chamionship game against the Pats
Fued Reviez missed a field goal and Don Blackman,a LB for the Pats came up
to him making fun of him,Reviez then preceded to give him a right hook?
It was great, in a game mared by turnovers because of rain.

No one has mentioned one of the most significant field goals in Miami history

Admittedly, you have to be 40+, as I am, to remember this kick and it's importance.

If our legacy is the undefeated season, Garo saved it as much as anyone. By far the toughest game that season was at Minnesota. I think it was game #4. Luckily, Griese was still healthy. Tarkenton returned to the Vikes, from the Giants, that season and Minnesota was incredibly fired up against us. One of their LBs nearly broke Csonka in half.

Anyway, we were trailing 14-6 in the middle of the 4th quarter. This is before the 2 point conversion, so that's 2 scores. We had 4th down on Minny's 47. Shula trots out Garo to attempt a 54-yarder, and my dad and I scream at the idiocy. Garo was accurate, but didn't have the strongest leg. And this was outdoors at old Metropolitan Stadium, one of the worst fields in the league. The Twins played there. It had dirt patches, even worse than our field now.

Somehow, Garo nailed the thing. I can still picture it, barely over the left side of the crossbar. That pulled us to within 14-9. Griese methodically led the game winning drive in the final minutes, hitting Mandich over the middle with the clutch TD pass.

Back
Top Bottom