All-Time Greatest Dolphins Kicker | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All-Time Greatest Dolphins Kicker

Awsi Dooger said:
As I've posted before, our performance in that '94 playoff game at San Diego was disgraceful ignorance. We led the entire game until the final minute or so, yet were outrushed 40 attempts to 8. We deserved to lose and I'm glad we did, considering that pantyhose approach.
Wrong, kickers are paid to do one thing...make kicks! Stoyanovich choked when called upon to do his job. I don`t care that we let SD back into the game, the bottom line is Pete missed the game winning kick.

The bottom line is we had a flawed team and concept

Goin` Deep said:
Wrong, kickers are paid to do one thing...make kicks! Stoyanovich choked when called upon to do his job. I don`t care that we let SD back into the game, the bottom line is Pete missed the game winning kick.

So it really didn't matter if Stoyanovich made the kick or not. We were doomed the following week, or the game after that. Although I agree it was a makeable kick, and every stage of advancement in the playoffs is important. I'm not one of these idiots who equates anything other than a Super Bowl triumph as being identical: failure.

This is a kicker thread, not a strategy thread. Perhaps I shouldn't have interjected the rushing attempts reality into this thread. But I chart games, and it was surreal that a team leading the entire game was too petrified to run the football. I kept telling people watching the game with me that Miami didn't even have 10 rushing attempts, even though it was deep into the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, the patient opposition was racking up one attempt after another despite trailing.

Since 85% of NFL games are won by the team with the most rushing attempts, and I've known that for more than 20 years, I emphasized to my friends that San Diego was incredibly likely to pull out the game. I fully expected Stoyanovich to miss. Justice is normally served, even on the football field.

Awsi Dooger said:
So it really didn't matter if Stoyanovich made the kick or not. We were doomed the following week, or the game after that. Although I agree it was a makeable kick, and every stage of advancement in the playoffs is important. I'm not one of these idiots who equates anything other than a Super Bowl triumph as being identical: failure.
How would we`ve been doomed the following week? SD went into Pittsburgh and defeated the Steelers. Might have been doomed against the Niners though.

I don't think we matched up as well with Pitt as SD did

Goin` Deep said:
How would we`ve been doomed the following week? SD went into Pittsburgh and defeated the Steelers. Might have been doomed against the Niners though.

The Chargers were a patient team and more physical than we were. They frustrated the Steelers and stole a low scoring game, ramming Natrone Means at them. We would have winged it all day and probably turned it over. You're not going to convince me we were likely to win a playoff road game, given our history in that regard. Still, I agree the Steelers were beatable.

My main point was the absurdity of the 8 rushing attemps vs. San Diego, and how that is a fitting summation of our ignorant approach during the Marino era. I don't blame him, BTW. Shula lost track of what made his teams successful in the first place. He had great QBs throughout, in Unitas, Griese and even Morrall. But he was always balanced, or run oriented, until he got older and lazier and decided to let Danny's right arm dictate everything. It was never destined to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom