Anthony Richardson! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Richardson!

IF someone were to trade up and take Richardson at #1 the pressure to start him right away would be enormous.

That would be a huge mistake the kid needs a redshirt going to QB school year before he steps on the field, if not more time than that.

I don't think so. He'll have growing pains, but apart from just gaining reps experience, he really just needs to add consistency to his footwork - cut out the heel clicks and stay off his toes.

He wasn't in a one-read or half-field read offense at Florida. Though he's inexperienced, the experience he does have translates. He's also excellent at avoiding sacks. It's one of the reasons his completion percentage is so low. The other main reason is the offense and surrounding talent. His OL gave up quick and consistent pressure, his WR's were very bad, and the route concepts had guys in the same area way too often. His aforementioned mechanical inconsistencies were the other reason, but the degree of difficulty on his throws were higher than the other QB's toward the top.

If he goes to the Colts and runs an offense similar to the one Philadelphia ran the last couple years, he'll be able to make plays and move the ball early. But, even if he has a tough time initially, I don't think it will ruin him. Josh Allen had a terrible rookie year and a rough 2nd year, and he's turned out alright. His pocket presence and avoidance of negative plays is certainly better than Allen's out of Wyoming, and his accuracy is no worse. Like Allen, Richardson has a beautiful throwing motion. Just has to add consistency to his lower half.

But, if you're the Colts, you have Taylor, Pittman, and Jelani Woods, and Taylor might run for 6 yards per carry with Richardson at QB. Pittman and Woods would be nice fits for his game, too. They still need WR help, but I think that group would move the ball pretty well - even with Richardson growing into the player he will be.

Not saying you have to start him right away, but I don't think immediate action will ruin him. For me, the decision would come down to: is the surrounding talent good enough for his reps to be beneficial? Would he be learning the right lessons?

Last edited:
Josh Allen had a lot more experience than Richardson albeit at a lower level.

And maybe Allen would have been better sooner if Buffalo had been a bit more patient with him too?

Throwing Richardson out there too soon would be a huge mistake, you are making enough of a gamble by drafting him high, why make it more likely the gamble won't pay off?

Mahomes is the perfect example, he went to Andy Reid School for a year and then he took over. Sit the kid behind a decent vet for a year and then turn the team over too him in year 2. Maybe get his feet wet late in his rookie year but have patience and let him grow into the job.

By all rights he should have gone back to Florida to play more but he can't pass up being a Top 10(or better) pick.

Josh Allen had a lot more experience than Richardson albeit at a lower level.

And maybe Allen would have been better sooner if Buffalo had been a bit more patient with him too?

Throwing Richardson out there too soon would be a huge mistake, you are making enough of a gamble by drafting him high, why make it more likely the gamble won't pay off?

Mahomes is the perfect example, he went to Andy Reid School for a year and then he took over. Sit the kid behind a decent vet for a year and then turn the team over too him in year 2. Maybe get his feet wet late in his rookie year but have patience and let him grow into the job.

By all rights he should have gone back to Florida to play more but he can't pass up being a Top 10(or better) pick.

A gamble relative to what, though? Asked it before, but who is the cautionary example - the scary comp for Richardson?

If you have a bad OL and bad receiving options, then, yeah, probably let him sit and avoid the abuse that comes with that situation.

Overall, though, I think your concerns are rooted in truisms, rather than reality.

Whether he starts or sits, he's the best talent in the draft, and he should go #1 overall. And, I strongly disagree that he should have went back to school. He can clean up the inconsistencies in his footwork and gain the experience he needs in the NFL just as well as he could in college - better iwbh.

Also Josh Allen had about 250 more pass attempts than Richardson. I wouldn't say that's a lot more experience.

What scares me about him is there has never been a QB as talented as he is that has sucked so badly in college.

What scares me about him is there has never been a QB as talented as he is that has sucked so badly in college.

EPA per play just a little lower than Young. Young wasn't in a typical Alabama situation last year, but his surrounding talent was still better than Richardson's.

If that = sucked so bad, Young should go undrafted with that frame.

Has the best pressure 2 Sack rate in the class, creates the most big plays per play - all despite his surrounding talent.

Last edited:
53.8 comp
9 interceptions

that sucks man

I have him ranked the #3 QB in this class. I said he falls no further than #8 overall. I just can’t put him ahead of Young and Stroud. Their production has been much better. His ceiling is higher, but they have surpassed him by far at the collegiate level.

I have him ranked the #3 QB in this class. I said he falls no further than #8 overall. I just can’t put him ahead of Young and Stroud. Their production has been much better. His ceiling is higher, but they have surpassed him by far at the collegiate level.

I agree that they're more refined. I disagree that their refinement bridges (let alone surpasses) the talent gap between the prospects. Richardson has inconsistent footwork and needs more experience. His instincts and football intelligence are very good, and I don't think we've seen a physical talent quite like him.

I agree that they're more refined. I disagree that their refinement bridges (let alone surpasses) the talent gap between the prospects. Richardson has inconsistent footwork and needs more experience. His instincts and football intelligence are very good, and I don't think we've seen a physical talent quite like him.
Josh Allen is the comp I’d choose

Josh Allen is the comp I’d choose

Don't see it. Allen was a gamer like Lamar Jackson in college. Richardson is meh, I don't see that competitive spirit. I see it more in Will Levis. Although, both Richardson and Levis are hard to watch.

It reminds me of all the knuckleheads around here that trashed Smitty and kept revealing how clueless they were by saying he was going to get “broken in half” the first time he got hit by an NFL defensive back.

Out of Chase, Waddle, and DeVonta Smith - Smitty is the only one that hasn’t missed games due to injury.

Things aren’t what they seem. If it was all really that easy, it wouldn’t be this hard.

Back
Top Bottom