any takers on JJ Watt, Im all in/To be released | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

any takers on JJ Watt, Im all in/To be released

here has to be some of the thinking IF you could get Watt with a 3rd rounder. he has actually played all games 2 out of his last 3 years. I would want to possibly try to trade back in the 3rd round and see if they would still take that third rounder. I feel like you would just be potentially deferring your 3rd round pick for 2 years.

Heres the thing, its either win/win or lose/lose. If it works out and Watt puts about 8-9 sacks and stays healthy then you hope that potentially someone signs him to a nice 2 year 30 million contract in 2022. so if you trade a 3rd for him, you'll probably pick up a comp 3rd round pick for him in return. so if you can make the money work and he has a good season, you are just basically deferering your 3rd til 2023 meaning he cost us nothing but one years salary.

now if he gets hurt or sucks and he is only able to sign a prove it contract when he becomes a FA in 2022, then its lose lose, cause you got nothing out of him and wont get any comp.

I dont want to invest in older guys, BUT if its a risk the team would feel like taking, it can be justified by saying you can probably get the draft pick back

JJ Watt will be looking to Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Rams, or in other words a team he sees as a serious super bowl contender. I also don't see is going this direction.

Then there is this....

JJ Watt:
Takes asset, probable pick to acquire
$17.5 million
Signed for one year, hits free agency
31 years old, declining

Leonard Williams:
Free agent, no asset to acquire
$10-$11 million
Would be signed for multiple years
26 years old entering his prime

I would rather go after Williams who was more productive than Watt last year.

Leonard Williams will not cost just 10-11mil per.
He played last year at 16.1mil, and had a career year.

It's going to be closer to the 20mil mark.

I’m in if we get Watson as well. Might as well go for it all.

Ok so you guys are lost on this topic. Let me help you.

Watt will not be traded. His contract is far too large for any team to trade for, considering his age and lack of production. The Texans are likely to cut Watt for cap savings so giving the Texans an asset for Watt is just ignorant.

Wait for Watt to get cut and try to sign him, if we are even interested, which I doubt we are.

The Watt family lives in Wisconsin so the likely team he will sign with would be the Packers.

If the Texans trade Watson they may keep Watt to avoid the fan backlash of losing Watt and Watson in the same offseason.

Ok so you guys are lost on this topic. Let me help you.

Watt will not be traded. His contract is far too large for any team to trade for, considering his age and lack of production. The Texans are likely to cut Watt for cap savings so giving the Texans an asset for Watt is just ignorant.

Wait for Watt to get cut and try to sign him, if we are even interested, which I doubt we are.

The Watt family lives in Wisconsin so the likely team he will sign with would be the Packers.

If the Texans trade Watson they may keep Watt to avoid the fan backlash of losing Watt and Watson in the same offseason.
There’s are creative ways to trade him. The Texans could turn most of this salary into a signing bonus and then trade him so he fits under most teams cap. It’s possible where draft comp comes into play.

Leonard Williams will not cost just 10-11mil per.
He played last year at 16.1mil, and had a career year.

It's going to be closer to the 20mil mark.
Just going off of projections at Sportrac. He did make $16.1 million on a one year deal. Those one year deals usually have inflated $ amounts. I want to point out that I am not saying go get Williams, my point was that he is a better target than JJ Watt at this point in their careers. I do not believe for one minute that Williams gets $20 million per in this offseason of lowered team cap due to covid.

here has to be some of the thinking IF you could get Watt with a 3rd rounder. he has actually played all games 2 out of his last 3 years. I would want to possibly try to trade back in the 3rd round and see if they would still take that third rounder. I feel like you would just be potentially deferring your 3rd round pick for 2 years.

Heres the thing, its either win/win or lose/lose. If it works out and Watt puts about 8-9 sacks and stays healthy then you hope that potentially someone signs him to a nice 2 year 30 million contract in 2022. so if you trade a 3rd for him, you'll probably pick up a comp 3rd round pick for him in return. so if you can make the money work and he has a good season, you are just basically deferering your 3rd til 2023 meaning he cost us nothing but one years salary.

now if he gets hurt or sucks and he is only able to sign a prove it contract when he becomes a FA in 2022, then its lose lose, cause you got nothing out of him and wont get any comp.

I dont want to invest in older guys, BUT if its a risk the team would feel like taking, it can be justified by saying you can probably get the draft pick back
A 3rd for Watt? Christ no.

I love JJ Watt but don't wanna part with a 1st round pick.
hes not worth a first rounder not even close but he could come relatively cheap and would accelerate this defense growth in the short term

Owusu-Karamoa is a hybrid LB/S who should be there at 18.
I think he is one of the guys on the Dolphins short list of pass rushers, and IMHO, he's definitely one they're looking at for the #18 spot. He's a little like Ogbah was coming out of college in that he has a tremendous amount of untapped potential, and this coaching staff has shown a real proclivity to give those types a shot, both with FA's like Ogbah, Lawson, and Taco Charlton, as well as draft picks like Noah Igbinoghene. If a guy has athletic ability, they believe they can get him to perform. But what I like best about Coach Flo's approach is that he shows that Patriot ruthlessness of giving lots of guys a chance, but making a quick decision to cut them loose and move on to other prospects. No danger of the Dallas Thomas' of the world hanging on for years wasting other opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom