anyone got a report on Roth so far? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

anyone got a report on Roth so far?

ckparrothead said:
Well first off, you can see it on film. Confidence issues are something you can see, especially in a guy that had a noticeably different first step in college than as a pro.

Second, yes...he's said so many times.

Cool. you are right about the confidence thing. I just didnt remember him saying that.

i dont know how anyone can complain about roth. he is intense, hardworking, and he is going to develop into a leader for our defense, even if its just a lead by example. he is exactly what this team has always needed, and as a rookie he played on the goaline package. seems like a pretty important role to me, and even if he never develops into the pash rusher he was at iowa his strength at the point of attack and motor will more than makeup for that

RothFan said:
I watched Roth play for Iowa when he was still in school. He was the heart and soul of the Iowa defence. He played his heart out then and he will not stop now. This guy is a work horse and should see alot more time this year than he did last year. Saban likes Roth's new look and attitude. Watch out for #98 this year.

I agree with you dude. I am a Purdue man and I saw him live twice. What a monster. I loved it when they picked him up. All the original draft gurus had him going in the first round to the Colts.

fin1 said:
I agree with you dude. I am a Purdue man and I saw him live twice. What a monster. I loved it when they picked him up. All the original draft gurus had him going in the first round to the Colts.

From what I understand there was no way he would of gotten past the Packers unless something freaky happened like A. Rogers falling to them.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
From what I understand there was no way he would of gotten past the Packers unless something freaky happened like A. Rogers falling to them.

LOL.

Oboy said:
While I agree the time in the NFL is a better data point. NOT ONE year! Especially depending on the position. There are not many DE's that do great in their first year. Heck, look no further than our own JT! He did not do much until his 3rd year.

Exactly. Islandan I don't know if you watched any of the fins games last year or not but I could see what I saw in his college playing days that were evident that ck has already pointed out. I disagree with you islandan there are definately some players that look like men amongst boys (Vince Young) while in college that you know are going to translate to the NFL.

fin1 said:

Yet again another guy who liked the Roth pick as much as I did. I went nuts when I say that they drafted him.

fin1 said:
Exactly. Islandan I don't know if you watched any of the fins games last year or not but I could see what I saw in his college playing days that were evident that ck has already pointed out. I disagree with you islandan there are definately some players that look like men amongst boys (Vince Young) while in college that you know are going to translate to the NFL.

Watched every game and saw a reasonable backup performance. Nothing to make me think he should be starting, or would compete anytime soon. As for your example, everyone knew Ryan Leaf was going to translate to the NFL; and you have only to look at the numerous Vince Young threads on this site from draft time to recognize that he is far from a concensus pick to succeed.

Don't get me wrong guys, I want Roth to develop into the monster you all say he can be. I am just not willing to accept his college career as proof that's going to happen.

And c'mon, ck, for every Chad Johnson you give, you darn well know there are ten highly rated guys that just didn't pan out. They don't come as easily to mind because they just quietly disappeared.

islandah said:
Watched every game and saw a reasonable backup performance.

Which is pretty good for a rookie. Do you believe players never improve?

Slappy8800 said:
hows he look? id like to see him get some more playing time
hes looking big and well sharp but he still has his speed to improve

islandah said:
Blah, blah, blah... there are plenty of college prospects that graded out best/had a phenomenal motor/ were the best in their conference, etc... the reality is some make it, some don't. Some need time to develop, which Roth might. He also suffers by comparison when the 3rd and 4th rounders picked both started- but that's just our good fortune, not his fault.

I'm just saying you use college careers to decide who to pick where, because that's all the real data you have, but I take their college performance with a grain of salt once they hit the big time.

Just to let you know, CK is more knowledgable about football than you will ever be in your entire life, no matter how much you study the game and the players, you shall always be inferior to him regarding these aspects (however, this is not to imply that you are inferior as a human being). So please show one of the board's most beloved members a little more respect. Thank you.

islandah said:
And c'mon, ck, for every Chad Johnson you give, you darn well know there are ten highly rated guys that just didn't pan out. They don't come as easily to mind because they just quietly disappeared.

And a hundred players who turned out to be really good despite not doing well in their rookie year.

thejetssuck said:
Just to let you know, CK is more knowledgable about football than you will ever be in your entire life, no matter how much you study the game and the players, you shall always be inferior to him regarding these aspects (however, this is not to imply that you are inferior as a human being). So please show one of the board's most beloved members a little more respect. Thank you.

Does this mean that I am not allowed to disagree with him? I guess unquestioned agreement and embarrassingly sucking up is one way to go. However, I think CK enjoys a good debate and is, as you say, more than equipped to handle one. I immediately made sure to mention that the blah,blah,blah comment was not made in disrespect. Everything else has just been good healthy debate.

If we all agreed, there'd be no need for this site. Agree or disagree, it's still a lot more fun than working!:goof:

ckparrothead said:
And a hundred players who turned out to be really good despite not doing well in their rookie year.

Really? You think for every ten that don't make it, there are a hundred that ultimately do? Don't have the #'s to back it up, but that's certainly not my perception.

Back
Top Bottom