Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year

We are going to need a good o line if you want wallace to go deep and miller to even step one foot outside of the line of scrimmage. Games are won in the trenches for a reason. I would easily pay jake long 6 mil. Btw those numbers are from 2009 and are filled with OG/RT maybe update it and specify it to LT. Also Martin by no means has shown HE'S CLOSE to being a long term option. No one outside of some posters here look at him as a good tackle because he hasn't shown he is. Just because the position isn't flashy doesn't mean you can throw some scrub in there like it''s madden.

Ya the biggest thing is the lack of alternative options. Jon Martin sucked. He's looking like a terrible pick. Gosh why does Ireland have to suck at drafting lol.

How to be a winning team. Build a dominant o-line and give my QB time to find his receivers and open holes for my RB. Control the clock, wear out the other teams D and keep my D rested.

The ravens won the superbowl with no linemen making over 4 million...just saying
Winning the trench battles will never be obsolete. It's the same on D. Stop the run and pressure the QB. On offense, you give my QB time to throw, he will pick you a part. Brady never had great WR's with the exception of Moss.
They also have only 1 olineman making over 3 million...

I disagree with not signing Long. i don't like the shuffling of the O line and i think there is a lot to be said for chemistry and cohesion.

Sign Jake to a short one or two year deal that is very cap friendly and draft his replacement this year. Martin is not ready for LT if you ask me. Give him one more year to bulk up and hone his skills and then decide between him and the draft choice for the left side.

If Jake leaves so be it but having finally found our QB his protection is job one to me.

Id be ok with Long at 6 million and under. I wouldnt offer him a penny more. 1 year 6 million or 2 years 12 million or go to St. Louis...thats ur options if I were Ireland.I wouldnt be thrilled with Long at 5-6 million but Id be ok with it but I hope he just goes somewhere else. Im pretty sure Long isnt signing for anything less than 7 million a year and he's just not worth it. He should be paying the Dolphins to sign him, seeing how he's completely robbed the Fins the last 3 years.

Pay Jake and lets move on. He is a beast and he'll be back. There is lot to be said for having some downfield weapons that opposing defences must respect. We have improved our offense fear factor by tenfold. Now lets lock up Jake and move on to the draft. 8.75 million on a year deal with some incentives seems fair to me. Remember, you always pay a little more for a free agent...

People, Long was getting Tannehill destroyed and ya'll want him back for 7+ million? I agree with the OP. If I'm Miami I withdraw all offers from Long's tired ass, clean out his locker room, and sign Dumervil and Winston with the money that stupidly may be used on Long. Long still being a FA right now should be a wake up call to him that's he's no where close to being elite or even above average like he may believe.

Pay Jake and lets move on. He is a beast and he'll be back. There is lot to be said for having some downfield weapons that opposing defences must respect. We have improved our offense fear factor by tenfold. Now lets lock up Jake and move on to the draft. 8.75 million on a year deal with some incentives seems fair to me. Remember, you always pay a little more for a free agent...
He hasnt been a beast in over 3 years bro. He's THE most over-rated (over-paid) Miami Dolphin of all time.

or even 7 or even 6 million

please check the link...

http://theredzone.org/salaryshowposition.aspx?Position=OL

Next peice of evidence
Tackles
1. Jake Long, Dolphins – $11,200,000
2. Trent Williams, Redskins – $11,000,000 - Wildcard Lost
3. Joe Thomas, Browns – $10,500,000
4. Jason Smith, Rams – $10,000,000
5. Jordan Gross, Panthers – $9,500,000
6. Jason Peters, Eagles – $8,250,000
7. Michael Roos, Titans – $7,300,000
8. Andre Smith, Bengals – $6,508,000 - Wildcard Lost
9. David Stewart, Titans – $6,200,000
10. Donald Penn, Buccaneers – $5,900,000

Notice anything? Top 10 paid OTs and only 2 teams made it to the playoffs and they lost their 1st game. Also notice that the other 8 teams SUCKED...Why? because they were paying one man that didnt score TDs more money than the people that did score TDs...

Its time to move on from Jake long...we have a Left tackle that will get stronger and plays zone better than Jake...draft a right tackle in the 2nd and be done with it...

I think your numbers are wrong. Trent Williams was 13 mil against the cap last year. Russell Okung was almost 9. Ryan Clady is going to make 10 this year. Duane browns salary is climbing. Andrew Whitworth makes almost 7 mil. Matt Kalil made 4 and was the third pick. Sam baker was making pretty good coin and just resigned. 7 of the playoff teams committed money to their LTs. Don't give me it's not important

The ravens won the superbowl with no linemen making over 4 million...just saying

They also have only 1 olineman making over 3 million...

GREAT POINT

I have also have to mention that with their cheap O-line, the Ravens were using a lot of deep threats with Smith and Jones. So that defeats the theory that you need to throw $7m+ to Jake Long in order to get the ball down to Mike Wallace.

Hay I don't take it personal, it's all business, I would bring him back for that price.

We got the coin. Use it and lets go to the draft. Jonathan Martin is the guy who got Tannehill hit, not Jake. Put Martin back on the right side and by the way...Dumervil is a midget.

The OP makes a good point, but by the same token, about the time someone like Aldon Smith wins a game against you because you simply can't contain him, you'll wish you were paying your LT better. Sacks and pressures (and the INTs they can lead to) are drive-stoppers and game winners.

In other words, don't pay your LT too much, but also don't have a scrub over there.

Do the numbers

Last time I checked last year Longs cap rate was comparibable to the Patriots ENTIRE front line! There's a reason there in the playoffs every year and were not!

Back
Top Bottom