Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year

So you wouldnt have signed gibson or wheeler and instead signed dumerville, even though at the time we signed the other two, dumerville wasnt even available??? Thats brilliant...

Ppl who dont want to resign long had better not be.the same people crying when we draft another OL in round one this year cuz that is what insee happening.

Pay him

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

They might do that but those guys are not as good as Long

If we could get Long for $7-8 mill per year that would be ideal.

Vollmer and Winston are both RT's and if we sign one of those guys the FO is saying Martin is ready for LT this year.I personally do not see it.

Draft wise Miami is on the cusp of seeing a LT drop to them at #12 .Not so sure that a 1 of the 3 LT's in this draft will fall to us.

How to be a winning team. Build a dominant o-line and give my QB time to find his receivers and open holes for my RB. Control the clock, wear out the other teams D and keep my D rested.
solrosenberg = Bill Parcells = 1980's football

Truth is, you do need adequate blocking but shouldn't overpay for someone who may not be what they were in seasons 1-3. I guess he could bounce back and am somewhat encouraged by the fact that apparently the Rams do have an offer on the table so maybe he's passed his physical. We can't go 10+ million/yr on him though. I don't think Vollmer would makethe situation any better either since he's probably looking for a jackpot payday too. Anyone have any idea what he's asking for?

This is why the winning teams have a GM heading up a scouting department that finds talent and drafts it young. They pay starting career contract-type money and don't overpay a player for what he did once upon a time when free agency starts. They instead rely on their ability to find a suitable replacement in the draft. Watch Ozzie Newsome as he reshapes the Ravens with the draft and with some sensible mid range free agent signings to compliment it.

Must be nice. :(

Money would be better spent on Dumervil to pair with Wake (imagine Brady's nightmares). Sign Winston or draft OL in 1st or 2nd. Forget Long...

DMARINO:

you are right on all counts.

and the other thing thats bad about this? it will cost us ELVIS DUMERVILLE who is vital to a team in this pass happy, 19 wr set nfl.

we have a BIG need for another pass rusher to go with wake and we suddenly have a pro bowl player, in his prime who WANTS to be on our team, that wont cost us ANY draft pics. it should have already been done before the sun set yesterday. a HUGE no brainer.

but this is the kind of thing that scared me keeping ireland. he just doesnt see the obvious. he doesnt see that his prized lt isnt nfl lt quality anymore. he was never a good pass blocker and his pass blocking has become a liability! you dont give up a player like dumerville who can sack qb's for an aging, injured, slow tackle. no matter what the price is!!

the 49ers, pats, bucs, seahawks, giants, colts gm's would do this in a heartbeat!! they wouldnt sacrafice a dumerville talent for a ot who is CLEARLY on his way down. especially when we have a young prospect who played admirably down the stretch, a player only needing an offseason of nfl weight training to be the man. a player much cheaper with more ceiling! plus a draft full of great ot prospects. we are NOT desperate at lt.

this whole thing with long, with ireland bent on sinking huge dollars in him is a real head scratcher, dumerville or not. but doing it when they have a VITAL, PRODUCTIVE piece of our puzzle available to us in ED is absolutely insane!!!!

but thats ireland.

and if i am wrong and ireland back tracks and shuts off his guilt knowing mrs. longs will be shedding crocodile tears about not getting to stay in the miami sunshine, i will sing his praises on THAT move. maybe even have a spark of hope he can handle this vital, opportunity rich offseason and make the moves the team actually needs for a change.

untill then............ .

The price of left tackles has fallen with the new draft salary cap. You don't pay top five picks 60 million any more.0

Id say sign winston and grimes, draft lane johnson and may the best tackles win.

Than we can go cb or de at 12, or even a longshot at wr.... as of now i think we have ourselves painted into a box with taking a cb, at least @12

And yes, OP, I agree with you. The Dolphins have invested so heavily in the offensive line, yet we dont have a dominant offensive line and the team has regressed directly because of this. And even if you have a stud LT, thats only one guy out of five.

Id say sign winston and grimes, draft lane johnson and may the best tackles win.

Than we can go cb or de at 12, or even a longshot at wr.... as of now i think we have ourselves painted into a box with taking a cb, at least @12

You can't go corner or defensive end at 12 if you want Lane Johnson. You might not even get at Lane Johnson at 12.

Ravens,Pats,Bengals,Seatlle,Broncos, all have top grading OL's.

ELLIOT:

you left out these teams all have pro bowl or pro bowl talent qb's.

thats the big difference. plus, these teams have bonafide playmakers who get open.

we dont. and adding more real play makers is a much better move than throwing zillions into a broken down ot who never was a good pass blocker.

im in for winston and a cb and call it a day. oh yeah as for long , long been here to long time to say so long long.....

Back
Top Bottom